• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Like the deal, hate the BS
  • 12/15/12
  • govmule72

He doesn't seem like a "me" guy at all. He does a lot for charity, and spends a lot of time working with kids in community initiatives. In fact, he was doing so when he made his "negative" comments towards the Mets.

It's a shame that a baseball payer comes along with a great story, a will to succeed, a generous heart, and some a substantial intellect to boot, and we gotta get jealous and put him down for it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • marybeth12

I don't know what to think about this. I know he won 20 games and a CY Young this year but I just keep thinking that he would be a nobody if the Mets didn't give him a chance a few years back.

He does seem like a nice guy (my daughter doesn't think so) and he never seemed liked a show me the money type of person - even if it isn't a lot.

I just want to see the Mets do well. If trading RA for prospects who hopefully work out is the answer then so be it. I just think he reached the top of the incline on the roller coaster and he will not see another year like this. Especially if all of the media attention has gone to his head which has happened to other players.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • marybeth12

Believe me, I'm not jealous of him. Also I am just so tired of hearing the Mets are trading RA, they are signing RA that I wish they would just do something!

Meanwhile others free agents are being signed by everyone. It's like Omar Minaya all over again.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • PrayedforBay

Really, I have the complete opposite opinion of the guy. His message isn't self absorbed in my judgment, rather It's of someone who felt compelled to tell the tale of his journey (rather than repress it) which started with incredible hardship and personal demons. Perhaps the most compelling part of his story, is that he is now able to tell it; key word - able.

This is also a man who does incredible charity work and maintains a striking degree of humility given where he is now. From where he's been to where he is now is humbling and a wonderful human story.

"I know he won the CY Young but let's be real here, if the Mets didn't give him another chance, he'd probably be a middle school English teacher in TN and would never have written that book or be in a documentary and wouldn't be a CY Young winner"

I'm not sure what your point is here, that he shouldn't be asking for a fair deal?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • murphstates
Yes, the Mets gave him a chance and in exchange he gave them three years of elite performance for the price of a marginal fifth starter. Whatever he owed the organization has long since been repaid. He's earned his money and then some.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546403.14 was deleted
  • To:All
  • 12/15/12
  • CAPT_ALLCAPS

This is pretty much the same thing they did with Pagan. After he got traded they said he was a "clubhouse cancer" and had a bad attitude. This type of character assassination seems to be a page out of the PR playbook or something.

If Pagan was such a "clubhouse cancer", why did the Giants give him 4 years/40 Mil?

• Reply to this Message
Message 546403.16 was deleted
  • 12/15/12
  • murphstates
What players and coaches were those? I don't recall anyone putting their name to any accusations against Pagan.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/15/12
  • eastvisitr
Is Davidoff a Mets plant? I don't read him so I wouldn't know but the article is ridiculous. With the way the Mets have handled their players and pr Dickey had every right to express frustration and uncertainty over his situation. Even if he was thinking about himself. So what? He's earned the right to do that. He holds himself accountable and always gives 100% in every facet of the game. As a fan that's all I can ask for.
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 546403.19 through 546403.20 were deleted
  • 12/15/12
  • murphstates
There is a pattern of former players or players on the block being trashed in the press. I sincerely doubt it's not orchestrated by the organization.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546403.22 was deleted
  • 12/15/12
  • marvelousmarvin
Hey Murph, I like this cut and paste better than your Krathammer missives. This would be a good trade for both teams. Would prefer an outfielder, but that pitching prospect Noss...... looks promising. D'Arnaud could be out next Carter.
  • Reply to this Message