• Welcome Guest
Toronto Blue Jays

Welcome to the Toronto Blue Jays.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Blue Jays - J.A Happ avoid arbitration with 1-year, $3.7M
  • 1/18/13
  • jayswin11

AA says he still wants to add a RH bat who can play mulitple positions but that no trades are in the works.

Maybe a guy like Raburn?

a couple others out there to, Cairo, Derosa.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • RIPEXPOS

I don't see Happ content with being in AAA at all.

I think this arb avoidance was keyed on a promise he'd be moved rather than sent down. We shall see.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • danellis
Hes not right handed but what about matt carpenter? He already plays part time and they got Oscar Tavares comin to take away more of his playing time. He could fill in at 3rd, 1st and corner outfield spots. He could also challenge Lind for more AB's.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • gsnarls
He also intimated that he might prefer making that acquisition during spring training via a waiver pick up, cheaply.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/18/13
  • RIPEXPOS
I'd like to see us add Hafner to DH and hit 5th and use Lind as a PH for JP.

Edited 1/18/13   by  RIPEXPOS
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • tmath85
Shi Davidi ?@ShiDavidi
#Bluejays settle with Emilio Bonifacio at $2.6 million, avoiding arbitration.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • pulk_pull

Why? I think Happ will happily play the 6th man knowing that it's likely he will see some MLB time at some point.

If he goes the whole year in AAA, then I could see him requesting movement.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • RIPEXPOS

He wasn't content in the bullpen last year. Just don't see him content in AAA.

He's not a star or anything, but the guy is a solid MLB pitcher and belongs in the bigs. If not on a super stacked Jays rotation, then somewhere else. But at least in the pen.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • jayswin11
For someone needing pitching at the end of ST, he could be a nice 4/5 guy. That being said I see him staying with the JAYS content or not.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • Lafrentz54
Perfect depth. He's great to have as a 5/6 starter. I don't really care whether or not he's content with his role. He's under contract to pitch, wherever the Jays assign him. He'll get his shot at some point. <Hell, he could easily take Romero's spot as the 5 if he doesn't pitch well to start.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • thehurl

"What is payroll at now?"

Estimating everyone pre-arbitration at 400K I've got it as $128M less $8.5M from the Marlins.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • Chappy81
Your joking right? If this team plans on contending they will need Happ. If he starts the year in AAA then so be it, but he will be utilized quite a bit throughout the year. Every contender needs a couple quality arms in AAA that they can count on and right now Happ looks like that guy.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • gsnarls

Not bad. My guess is that AA has a fairly hard cap around $120M for this year. If revenues from TV and attendance goes up, maybe more, but I think he's at the limit with Rogers.

(Caveat: none of us really know of course...)

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • deepz

Based on our injuries to starting pitching last year, Happ won't be in Buffalo long.

It's great to have Happ and Lincoln (if they can stretch him out to start) as guy who can come in if any of our starters go down, which is a likely possibility.

The scary thing is what's after Happ and Lincoln? Not much.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • Chappy81

"The scary thing is what's after Happ and Lincoln? Not much."

Bush, Jenkins? Not anything special but could eat some innings if needed. If we get to that point, this rotation is probably in shambles anyways.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • fatcowxlive
I'd dump Happ + <crap for 2 AAAA starters and a prospect.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • Lafrentz54
Why? 2 fringe MLB players and a garbage prospect (because he wouldn't return a good one) for a serviceable 5/6 guy? No thanks. Maybe for once we should embrace the depth this team has.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • fatcowxlive
He's going to be pissed. I mean like Swingmen, like Villa type. People who can BP and they can start.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • Lafrentz54

I know where you're coming from. But to me, I don't care if he's <pissed. It's like the whole Oliver fiasco. You have a contract, and you do whats asked of you until that contract expires. It's not like he's not going to be up here at some point, I don't see all 5 starters going 32 games.

I said in a different post, he may very well take Ricky's spot if he pitches well when called up and Ricky is pitching like shi t.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • fatcowxlive
LOL I guess you're right, he's paid 3.75MM so he can <stfu
  • Reply to this Message