• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• 8 day fasting log
  • 2/13/13
  • govmule72

"Who eats 5 hearty meals a day? That may be your problem right there. Fast by trying only 3 meals a day for a while couldn't hurt."

The act of 'grazing,' to keep your metabolism continuously buzzing, which seems to be the prevailing wisdom in the always contradictory fitness and nutrition world (they have to change everything and anything up once every few years or they'll stop making money from a lack of new things to tell you) - has of late been challenged by those thinking two larger meals may be more 'natural' as your body, or more specifically your stomach and intestinal tracts, are not designed to digest food perpetually.

Three reasonable meals a day is most likely the right way to go. You can even throw in a desert once in a while.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/13/13
  • metsheart

I knew about gelatin being made from boiling animal connective tissue. Marshmallows all use gelatin unless specifically indicated as vegetarian (use fruit pectin or some other non animal substance). Also check your vitamins & medications. Many capsules are made of gelatin. But I always find vegetarian capsules. Or take pills not capsules.

Didn't know about beers & isinglass being fish bladder. Thanks for that info. Looked it up & found a list of brands that tells you whether they use isinglass:

http://www.barnivore.com/beer

Usually make my own salad dressing. Red wine vinegar & olive oil's a simple one. Also fresh squeezed lemon juice & olive oil. Evey once in a while I buy bottled salad dressing like Annie's Naturals (organic). But I always check the ingredients for things like cheese and gelatin.

Going to look more into isinglass. Hope it's not in any of the beers I really like!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/13/13
  • viper99

" I expect it to be grueling but enlightening and I'm looking forward to the journey."

So, you are looking forward to being hungry while the rest of us look forward to getting full.

I want you to know that I will be thinking of you next time I'm in front of FOOD.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/13/13
  • viper99

"Personally, detoxification and healing. Idiosyncratic enlightening, honing will power."

Then you should also try to stay away from this board because it can get toxic as you know. LOL

It does get easier after 3 days...yes, it does. Carbs are addicting.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/13/13
  • thagreat1
Thanks for the barnivore site. Helped me in choosing my drink for the night. Btw another thing to look out for when you're checking out any ingredient is carmine. Used as food coloring but it is essentially dried insects..
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 548150.82 through 548150.83 were deleted
  • 2/14/13
  • thagreat1
Not sure if serious
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/14/13
  • reinman43

Not sure if serious

He is talking about an I Love Lucy episode where Lucy did a commercial for a product called vitavegaminamin or something like that, anyway I believe it contained alcohol and Lucy got drunk and was slurring her words. It is a classic episode especially if you are an I love Lucy fan. I am not.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/14/13
  • metsheart
I'll keep an eye out for carmine (sounds like a Mob Boss). Thanks for the tip. Dried insects YUCK!

I try to buy mostly organic foods. But I suppose even some of those might use "all natural" food coloring like carmine. I look for "vegetarian" or "vegan" on packaging so I can be reasonably sure what I'm getting.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/14/13
  • metsheart
Another Manhattan vegan restaurant recommendation:

Blossom
3 locations -- Chelsea. W Village & Upper W side. All have the same vegan organic food (and organic wines) but Chelsea location (9th Ave around 21st St) is in a cozy townhouse. Great date place. Not that cheap (on the higher side of moderate). But food is OUTSTANDING. Been there w/ meat eaters & even THEY love it!!

http://www.blossomnyc.com/
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/14/13
  • thagreat1
Thanks I have to check it out..if the food is good I won't mind spending a little more
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548150.89 was deleted
  • 2/14/13
  • MetObserver
What is the great sin if a product has minute amounts of some animal product in it. What harm will it do you or is this vegetarian thing just in your mind. It is not the same as taking a knife to a big thick steak. If we as humans were meant to be strict vegetarians we wouldn't have canine teeth for ripping and tearing at meat products. We would have all molars and feed on the grass in the year for lunch. Most likely be hunted by a higher form of life for food then.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/14/13
  • metsheart
I posted earlier that my thing w/ not eating anything that had a mother has to do with Karma.

Seems to me these animals are born & raised just to be slaughtered & eaten CAN'T be good Karma to my mind.

Even insects that are bred to be killed to be dried & ground up for food coloring still falls into that category for me.

But I don't judge anybody that doesn't buy into Karma. That's their decision. Their belief. Has nothing to do with me. I hang out with plenty of meat eaters. They don't judge me & I don't judge them. Works out very nicely.

Edited 2/14/13   by  metsheart
Edited 2/14/13   by  metsheart
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/14/13
  • thagreat1

" What is the great sin if aproduct has minute amounts of some animal product in it"

there is a minute amount of rennet in cheese,sure. But rennet Is stomach lining from cows..how do you think that stomach lining is retrieved? Bullet to the head then the carcass is eviscerated. Maybe not even in that order. The path to acquire these "minute amounts of animal product" moreorless outweighs ingesting it. Which is why I for one won't partake in the consumption of products even with small amounts of meat.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/14/13
  • johnyringo

I would have thought that a guy who worries about Karma from killing a bug would treat humans better???

Its weird...

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/14/13
  • metsheart
How do YOU know how I treat HUMAN BEINGS???
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/14/13
  • johnyringo
I read what you say to them
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/14/13
  • metsheart
Please show ANY of my posts that treated humans badly.
  • Reply to this Message