• Welcome Guest
Cincinnati Reds

Welcome to the Cincinnati Reds.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Reds Hot Stove Talk
Message 74517.739 was deleted
  • 12/19/12
  • trs72
Not sure what he has to offer at this stage of his career, but I was always a fan of Freddie Garcia. He does know how to pitch and finds a way to get guys to ground out or pop up but no longer has the ability to strike guys out. Even thou I was a fan of his not sure I would want him on the club, although he would be better than signing Jeff Francis like we did last year to a minor league contract. Thats probably what they would do with Freddie give him a minor league contract witha invite to ST.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • jbryant93

Most likely WJ is kicking the tires for MiL SP depth. I think Garcia would probably land a ML deal from some team, and I don't see WJ going there.

I expect WJ to continue searching for MiL SP depth, guys like Tomko last year.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • TS14
Garcia=Insurance. Love to have a guy like this, around. We just cannot expect the SP to go 100% of the starts and Redman does not give me a lot of confidence. We will sign a catcher and SP for insurance I am almost certain. There are a few experienced catchers on the FA list for a AAA back up role.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • Band4life
do we still have corky Miller in AAA ?
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 74517.744 through 74517.745 were deleted
  • 12/19/12
  • TS14
I think he is more of a coach these days. That is good. he will be great in that capacity. I thought I read that he is retiring as a player. In any case, we will need a little bit more insurance. AS I said, there will be emergency catchers who will be available as FA.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 74517.747 was deleted
  • 12/19/12
  • Band4life
he is a solid backup catcher if he is still playing ?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • Band4life
The FA catching market was flooded this year . Catching could become a sore spot if Hani gets hurt .
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • trs72
Isnt that what Simon or Lecure is? I would say no considering we have 2 on the roster already. Freddie will be minor league depth if signed at this point in his career with us.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • trs72
Definitely cant expect our starting pitching to have another injury free year although I hope we do. I would say we definitely need to have a vet starter and a vet catcher in the minors. I know some say Corky is in the minors, but Corky is not a ML ball player. Great guy might be a very good manager 1 day but he is not a good baseball player especially at this point in his career. We do have Simon and Lecure that have the ability to be in the rotation if it comes down to needing them for that role as well.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • TS14
Pryce doesn't like our long relievers as spot starters. He is pretty dang good at his job, so I won't question him.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 74517.753 was deleted
  • 12/19/12
  • outlaw133
Corkie as a career AAAA catcher is about spent. As a coach he is just getting started, And Wasted? Sam is Sam just plug him in where you need him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • YimYames
your suppose to use two posts to reply to two things, thats how get to 20K, so I've seen. haha
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • trs72
Simon is on the 40 man roster so he has been retained. Still if we could sign Freddie Garcia to a minor league deal it would not be a bad thing with a invite to ST. Simon has options if i am not mistaken so he very well could be sent down if need be.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • trs72
Yeah Corky is getting up there in age, I could see him retiring and staying with the organization as a coach or even manager at one of the lower levels. If I remember correctly Corky did not have very good hitting stats last year at all. But neither did any of the guys in AAA,lol. Well actually Felix Perez had a good year and I think he batted like .302 last season in AAA.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 74517.758 was deleted
Recent Discussions
4/20/14 Reds vs Cubs GT
Latest by Alf_red_E - 1:00 PM
If we lose Cubs series
Latest by Alf_red_E - 12:58 PM
Logan Ondrusek's fastball as straight as a String.
Latest by frbisback - 12:48 PM
OT: The Chicago Way
Latest by bigredgum - 12:33 PM
Ex-Reds 2014
Latest by outlaw133 - 11:58 AM
Price No Longer Mistaken For Baker
Latest by machine514 - 11:49 AM
From a cherry-pickin standpoint.....
Latest by machine514 - 11:44 AM
OT: Pacers looking weak
Latest by machine514 - 11:40 AM
Relief pitching