• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Nieuwenhuis can be a good catalyst
  • 1/18/13
  • marvelousmarvin
Den Dekker could do more. OF usually need to deliver much more power unless they are quick. N is not. I do think he might hit more than 15 though.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • Oldfan

Can't hit lefties, strikes out way too much and gets hurt too often.

Other than that, he's really good.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • RobfromLI

"Can't hit lefties, strikes out way too much and gets hurt too often.

Other than that, he's really good."

- ha, that gave me a good chuckle. He's your typical five tool Mets prospect!

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • MetObserver
The getting hurt too much is what worries me. Last year he started off great but slowed down a lot, with the rest of the team, in the second half. Right after he was sent down he got injured again. He was possibly dealing with some injury while playing and didn't want to make it known until he was back in AAA. A scrappy player but does need more to stick in the Majors.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • skorpio520
I dont think anyone so much "wrote him off" (except the ones that write everyone off the first time they drop a pop fly or strike out) I believe he can be an effective mlb'er off the bench,part time starter.Itd be great if he could become that lead off hitter you are talking about.Prob is,he struck out in a ball,aa ball and now at the mlb level.lead off hitter hes not.just A very nice hitter in the 7 hole,bat off the bench.
he def has his place here,just not what you think he could be ,imo.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • ewok54
I like him but he does have injury issues. Would have been on team in 2011 but got hurt and missed the rest of the season. That aside, he's good enough to start in our present outfield. Most young players need time to learn how to hit lefties. Swing needs a few adjustments. Don't think he can bring big numbers but 15-20 hrs, and .275BA are realistic. Those are Cody Ross type numbers. If Den Dekker cuts down on his strikeouts and rakes AAA like he did AA, move him to a corner.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • MetObserver
Why would you keep a corner outfield in Center and send a legitimate CF to a corner. DenDekker best asset is that he has a major league glove. The concerns about him is if he can hit at the higher level. DD doesn't strikeout any more than Nieuwhenhuis does. Both are very close to 1/3 of their atbats.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • OrangeandBlue86
Are u kidding, this guy has a hole in his swing the size of the grand canyon. He was so lost at the end of last season, he needs a ton of work to even be considered as a leadoff man. by the way hes not even that fast. No on base percentage, low batting avg, lots of k's and only slightly above avg speed. if that doesnt say leadoff man i dont know what does!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • ewok54
My understanding is Den Dekker is already an accomplished CF... I suggested Niewenhius play center. If Den Decker improves enough to join the big club, move Niewenhius to the corner. Is that not correct?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • dmanning12
he scored 40 runs in 90 games.
That's not bad at all.
I still would rather get a true leadoff hitter but I am interested to see what Kirk can do with ample at bats and half a year experience under his belt
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • alex8686
Yeah, hes injury prone. Can't argue with that. Not saying he's exceptional, but some potential for slightly above average CF play.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/19/13
  • rnr8396
I think Nieuwenhuis starts the season in Center, and gives way to Den Decker by mid season. Neither will be the starting Centerfielder in 2014, as I believe that once the bad contracts are off the books, Sandy will go out and get us a solid major league experienced Centerfielder, either thru trade or free agency. This will relegate both Nieuwenhuis and Den Decker to either a corner, the bench or included in a trade.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • jsmet
I think Kirk will hit at least 15 home runs if he plays a full season.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • marvelousmarvin
Can't hit lefties, strikes out a ton and gets hurt...sounds like a catalyst for killing a rally.
  • Reply to this Message