• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Greinke money is absolute disgusting
  • 12/9/12
  • KB24NYM
Like it or not, at the time Santana was the best pitcher in the game and a 2x CY winner. Grienke's credential's don't come close to matching Johan's at the time of the trade.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/9/12
  • gomets66
its only going to get worse as less, above average players, reach free agency before their 30's.
wait till 2016 when the bottom 15 revenue teams get all the revenue sharing money. even less good players will get to FA early. will keep driving up price on all free agents.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/9/12
  • 86kid

>>>"Yeah, well the reckoning was the last 10 years! Not signing Adrian Beltre, Depodesta and his dumpster diving, e and all the crappola they did. I think they paid their dues and plenty of it!"<<<

Perhaps my friend, but you don't need to tell Mets fans about the Dodgers reckonings the last 10 years. Mets fan know all too well about "reckoning", and we've been going through that cycle for the last 25 years.... lol

All I'm saying is that when teams spend big & fast, at some point down the line there is almost always a reckoning that those teams go through. A point at which they start feeling their belts tighten, and they have to start shedding the big contracts they took on.

For a team like the Marlins, their reckonings usually happen within a year (haha). For this current Dodgers front office, we will see when that reckoning comes. Maybe 2 years, maybe 4, I don't know...

No doubt in my view though, the Greinke contract is gross.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/9/12
  • golfbone
The Dodgers are about to do a Marlins imitation. Spend like drunks and find out that it doesn't make for a contendah. The Carl Crawford deal was a life preserver thrown to the Red Sox that bales them out of one of the worst contracts in baseball history. Greinke is not a proven game 7 type ace and he suffers from depression and situational anxiety that could make him a risk in the spotlight. In a few years the Dodgers will be so saddled with financial obligations to players that are not performing it will make our problem with Jason Bay look like a peanut compared to a coconut.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/9/12
  • skorpio520

please join me in welcoming the new new york yankees............it is disgusting,i agree. new tv deal or not ive been saying this for a long time,baseball needs a hardline salary cap ,none of this luxory tax b.s,a salary cap.and yes i know the mets might be affected by that in the future but thats ok.

imagine if we get meyers and he is as good as people think, ike keeps hitting homeruns,harvey and wheeler meet their potential to be our lincecum and cain, jon niese gets better n better. whats that gonna do to us six years after thse guys hit the majors (in nieses case his current contract expires) when all these guys are gonna want an excess of 100 million?h#ll,by that time maybe 400 million dollar contracts will be on the table.

I was happy when the yankees said they wanted to be a little more reasonable when it came to salary.but then here comes the jays,and the dodgers.

Its sickening.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/9/12
  • 86kid

>>>""Santana agrees to $137.5M, 6-year contract with Mets""<<<

You aren't seriously going try to compare Sanatana being made the higest paid pitcher at that time, to Greinke being the heightest paid righty of all-time, are you ?

Please, the two situations aren't even close.

While one can certainly make a crediable arguement that Johan got paid a bit too much in their view, he at least was a dominating ace pitcher in his career.

Plus, Johan's marque value, in a place like New York, was a huge economic boost to the franchise selling itself.

Greinke is not comparable - not as a pitcher on the field, and certainly not as a marque/marketing addition.

There is no doubt that over the last 25 years the Mets franchise has spent their resources poorly, and even recklessly many times during that span. Certainly no Met fan is going to defend the way our franchise has been run at times. But this isn't really about comparing franchises.

We are just talking about what is going on now. And there is little doubt that many people around the game, fans & media alike, think this was an excessive contract. That's all. Throwing stones at something the Mets did years ago doesn't change or distract from that point.

Edited 12/9/12   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/9/12
  • anthony888
MLB needs a team salary cap. Let the GM's earn their money.
  • Reply to this Message