• Welcome Guest
A's Fan Forum

Welcome to the A's Fan Forum.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Alternative View of the Josh Hamilton Signing
  • 12/17/12
  • tenace18

I absolutely agree with you. I was speaking specifically about the Angels roster as it appears today, amid all the Hamilton Hyeteria being spewed by Angels fans and the equally orgasmic media. It all just makes me want to puke.

Unfortunately, they probably aren't done making moves. I have no doubt that they will "fix" their starting rotation when it becomes necessary. And they certainly won't doing it by acquiring minor league prospects. For example, if the Phillies get off to a slow start would any of us be the least bit surprised if the Angels acquired Roy Halliday? Or Cole Hamels? Would it really be all that shocking if Jon Lester heads to SoCal once the Bosox tank, and decide to start their inevitable re-build? Believe me, I completely share your frustration with the blatant financial inequities of MLB. And I realize that in the long run, Arte's money will ALWAYS trump anything the A's do. But today, I'm just venting about all the incessant drooling over the Josh Hamilton signing.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • A'sfan125

I guess I haven't seen "incessant drooling over the Josh Hamilton signing" although the same things others have said here on this board are the same things I say to my Halo fan friends. I just try to be objective which doesn't always go over well on this board. And times like last year I can look like a fool when I thought the A's would win 67 games.

I just think it's a little ridiculous for people to come on here and point out all the Angels holes when we don't even have an infield currently.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • BeaneBall

"I just think it's a little ridiculous for people to come on here and point out all the Angels holes when we don't even have an infield currently."

Shouldn't we be allowed to enjoy the division win for at least part of the offseason? Last year, LAA acquired Pujols and Wilson and the division race was declared over. We had one or two recognizable names on our roster. LAA finished third and out of the postseason. I'm still having trouble wiping the smile off my face.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • A'sfan125
Well....sure but aren't people talking about the 2013 Angels? Revel in 2012. It was a magical baseball year. I have personally set my sights on 2013 cuz I want another one.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • BeaneBall

I'm also interested in 2013. I'd prefer a WS victory this time :-)

There's considerable time remaining before the beginning of ST. Billy may actually solve the shortstop vacuum by then. It sounds like he's happy with the catchers (not sure why; I'm definitely not). He may even acquire a third baseman to make cufc happy :-).

The Angels have certainly improved their team for the coming season. Their bats are far superior to ours. Our singular advantage is starting pitching, which I expect to improve over 2012, and that can be the difference.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • A'sfan125
Agreed....and starting pitching is HUGE. That's like a football team saying our main advantage is at quarterback. As A's fans we cannot have everything but it seems that a team who's bread and butter is pitching shouldn't cheapskate out on a catcher and shortstop. I am hopeful both spots are filled adquately. I wouldn't mind seeing Norris get a full year at AAA and bring in two catchers to be honest. Donaldson will be fine at 3rd or should at least be given a shot.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • BeaneBall

Yeah, Norris doesn't seem to have much of an arm. Needs to work on gunning down runners at second (and making contact with his bat). I'd rather have Kotarras behind the plate if we can't come up with something better.

I am very high on Nakajima. He looks like a sure thing to me.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/17/12
  • catfish71

Hamilton had a WAR of 3.4 last year. Can't see how it will suddenly go up.

You'd better hope that 'pen is outstanding and durable because other than Weaver the rotation consists of a slew of guys who will be lucky to make 6 innings.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • rushhead

The Lamegels will win 91 games.

A's will win 95.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • rushhead

BeaneBall! Like I said earlier today! Christmas has come early!

I am so excited about Nakajima that I can't sleep tonight! Even with sugar plum fairies dancing over my head!

"The Sure Thing" reminds me of a movie I loved back in the Eighties.

Check out the trailer!

The A's are "The Sure Thing!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tbfNw2xsUk

The are hot, sexy and lean with the Bernie Lean!

That equals WORLD SERIES to me...............................................

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • RandomCommenter33
With the Astros in the division I wouldn't be surprised if 101 wins is only good for second place
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • RandomCommenter33
If WAR actually meant anything the Angels would've finished with the best record in baseball. They had by far the most WAR. The Orioles had 24 fewer "wins above replacement" than the Angels yet they finished with a better record.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • A'sfan125
Love it......"if WAR actually meant anything"....to some it is the bible. To me it's a grossly overused ESTIMATE of how players would have performed. Great post.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • rudirules

The Senators finished with the best record in MLB. Which of the standard stats do you think they led MLB?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/2012.shtml

Answer: none. Congratulations, you just "proved" that all stats are meaningless.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • Johnny_Dollar
The Angels bullpen had 22 blown saves in 2012. Their pen has been greatly improved. If they had won half of those games they win the division. I feel the Angels will win the division with a week to spare in 2013.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • flaminpen
C'mon now; your going to lose him with those big words...everyone is looking for their dictionary, what a predictament!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • flaminpen
Well the statistics and everything else in correlation with the Athletics didn't bear us out in 2012 either. Weren't we supposed to finish in 3rd place? It takes cohesiveness to do what we did! The Angels need to find that within their t-e-a-m, not just their individual stars.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/23/12
  • Gone_Fishing

I'm expecting Wilson to have a big year now that the bone chips have been removed from his elbow. I'm expecting Vargas to pitch well also. He owns the A's: 2-1, 2.18 ERA, 0.85 WHIP, .182 BAA. Angels have several pitchers who are durable that can go deep into games with the addition of Hanson and Blanton. The bullpen is the Angels biggest improvement this year. They can be a lockdown force over the last 3 innings of the game.The bats have been there and are now more potent with Hamilton.

I think the Angels addressed their weaknesses in the offseason.

Edited 12/23/12   by  Gone_Fishing
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/23/12
  • marhobo
In 2016 the halos will pay $75MM for three players.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/23/12
  • Gone_Fishing
150MM in TV contract money ( per year) takes care of minor details like that.

Edited 12/23/12   by  Gone_Fishing
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Reddick WALKOFF!
Latest by tenace18 - 9:32 AM
Congrats
Latest by CNYSamurai - 8:28 AM
Can't We Remodel the Coliseum?
Latest by TiggerBounce - 4:32 AM
Doolittle extension
Latest by catfish71 - 2:13 AM
Bob Melvin, Jim Johnson
Latest by eastbayer - 1:14 AM
A's Seek 10 Year Lease In Oakland
Latest by cufc2 - Apr-20
Fuld has been DFA
Latest by condemned - Apr-20
Where Do The A's Finish In The West
Latest by BeaneBall - Apr-20
Callaspo at 1st
Latest by rw01 - Apr-20
Reddick Not In The Line-Up Again Today...
Latest by BeaneBall - Apr-19