• Welcome Guest
St. Louis Cardinals

Welcome to the St. Louis Cardinals.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Christmas and atheism
  • 12/6/12
  • Barnabas_Libtard

"If you define religion as, "a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith", then I agree with Derp. Atheism is a religion."

I will bring up the fascinating point of semantics once again. If one considers "system of beliefs" to be a descriptive term, with "belief" as a noun, as a synonym for stance, position, opinion, viewpoint, etc... then I am more inclined to agree with you.

If you use MG's use of believING, as a verb, then I agree with that too. Atheism is the absence of action. Just like abstinence.

I don't like the above definition because of its vagueness, though. Couldn't a whole slew of things could fall under its umbrella? Is left-wing liberalism perhaps a religion?

Edited 12/6/12   by  Barnabas_Libtard
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • astatecard

"If you have "no idea" how old the Earth is, are you curious to find out? Do you think knowing something about that is worthwhile? Do you realize things like this can be known?"

Curious? Sure. Is it of importance to me? Not really. I beleive that God spoke the Earth, stars, and everything on Earth into existence. I believe that God is big enough to do this in a combined total of about 30 seconds (long enough to speak the words six days in a row). Now, how long that actually took? I don't know. I don't know God's calendar. One day to God may be a thousand years to us. The Bible really doesn't give a diffinitve age of the Earth as far as I can tell from reading. I think some of the estimates (and yes, by some religous people) are simply us trying to understand it. I have to stop here and say that I am one of the ones that has thought the Earth was about 7,000 years old at one time. I have changed my position on that because I have studied the Bible and don't believe that to be biblical. Knowing is good, but at the same time not all that supremely important, IMO.

" how can you prove it to someone"

Open the Bible and show them. If their mind is open and heart prepared, they are going to be able to accept it (1 Corinthians 2:14). Why blood? I don't know. That has been the thing that covered sin since the very beginning. All I can do for someone is open the Bible show them the gift they have been given, explain why Jesus is who He said He was, show prophecy about Him, show Old Testament stories that point to him from as far back as Genesis, give personal testimony, and let God work on the person. I would allow for the pastor, who has a doctorate in this stuff, go into the more scholarly stuff if they have questions we can't get past. Just like if we are going to hire someone, the preacher has me sit in with them. I do that everyday and so he would want to consult with someone that does HR for a living.

"This sounds exactly like you are denying it."

How am I denying it? I have called my self a sinner on more than one occasion during this conversation. Absolutely not denying that I'm a mess. I am simply telling you that my sin is covered. The thing here is that I don't see my salvation as a license to sin. I try my best not to.

"Why? What have I said that would be in anyway bothersome to the unsaved person that you used to be?"

I was referring to all the writing we are both doing. I wouldn't have given you this kind of time or attention.

"that just because we can't know everything doesn't mean we shouldn't try to know anything."

I have not said that one time. If I have implied that is was unintentional. Sure, try to find things out. I am going to stop there because I am asking my pastor for some help with this to give some further insight. It will help me answer your questions better, and make me a little better prepared next time I am asked.

" then you have relinquished your status as a thinking being in favor of a slave mentality. You might find ecstasy in this state of profound ignorance, but when you recommend it as a lifestyle to vulnerable youths you commit an atrocity."

God never once said to stop thinking. You call me a slave. I say no, I have actually been freed. And I agree that we have reached the end of meaningful conversation when you want to call someone ignorant.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • forschight
This was enjoyable and enlightening. You present your point of view very well. Please trust that when I use words like ignorance I'm interpreting what you've said in light of my views and not intending to simply name-call. I wish you well and thanks again for humoring me, though I hope you'll take my warnings about corruption of young minds to heart.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • Okie4Cards

"So, you live your life as if there were no gods, correct?"

- No, I live my life not knowing whether there is a God, today.

"So what exactly is our disagreement?"

- You are resisting my teaching. You are not an atheist, you are a dunno, just like me.

You are one of my early converts. From now on you're message board name will be, "The Dunno Hoot".

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • Okie4Cards

"I don't like the above definition because of its vagueness, though."

- OK

"Couldn't a whole slew of things could fall under its umbrella?"

- Yes

"Is left-wing liberalism perhaps a religion?"

- Doubtful

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • _LEFTY_
I wish you would shut up.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • luvcards53
No, it's not a religion...Just kinda silly.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • Barnabas_Libtard

lol...

No one here, on either side, is really wanting to have a discussion, are they? Just slinging sh**... like you suggested earlier.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • Okie4Cards
I've exposed your fundie ways.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • _LEFTY_

I prayed you would shut up.

There is no god.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • Okie4Cards

I have sorta lost interest in being a dunno.

I'm a ontological nihilist now. I never asked to receive life. Life was imposed upon me against my will.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • Okie4Cards
You should just ignore me like you do logic.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • Barnabas_Libtard

I know!

I was seriously thinking about this last night when I posted to forsight about free will... I never ASKED to live! I feel like I've been raped into life!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • _LEFTY_
You have been beaten over the head so badly with logic you have a permanent concussion.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • luvcards53
I doubt that you were raped into life, however, people DO get drunk and make mistakes.....LOL....Sorry man, you just stepped into that one....No offense intended....
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • forschight

"No one here, on either side, is really wanting to have a discussion"

I'd like to exempt astatecard and myself from this. Will you assent?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • Barnabas_Libtard
Not one of your best insult efforts.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • Barnabas_Libtard

You are absolutely right. You guys had a decent discussion that I found somewhat interesting, and you yourself tried your best to be civil... ;)

There was something nostalgic about it, actually. It reminded me of the primitive days of this board.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • luvcards53
There is no place for logic in this country....Just look at the government.....
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • _LEFTY_
Wasnt an insult.
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Butler
Latest by RealFacts - 2:47 AM
THE CUBS IS DEAD!
Latest by MrXray - 1:34 AM
GT: MLB 2014
Latest by jaynovahawk07 - 1:23 AM
GT Win/Loss
Latest by Rajah - 12:29 AM
GT 4/16 Cards vs Brewers
Latest by jaynovahawk07 - Apr-16
OT: NFL Open Thread
Latest by cardsmojo - Apr-16
Slow Starting Cardinals: Who Concerns You Most?
Latest by booger71 - Apr-16
2014 Rexbird star/goat award
Latest by carp_4_cy - Apr-16
OT: TV
Latest by stldug - Apr-16
Speed thrills
Latest by drjekyllmrcard - Apr-16