• Welcome Guest
Toronto Blue Jays

Welcome to the Toronto Blue Jays.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Official 2012 MLB Jays draftees interviews ,articles & links
  • To:All
  • 6/7/12
  • landingdoc

"[Alonzo] Gonzalez rounds out the group, having went to the Toronto Blue Jays with the 565th pick in the 18th round out of Glendale Community College.

His route to pro baseball began at the Little League before moving on to Santa Monica High School where he graduated in the same class as Tyler Skaggs, who was drafted that year by the Los Angeles Angels before being traded to the Arizona Diamondbacks. Since the trade, Skaggs has become one of the organization's top prospects. Skaggs also played for Santa Monica Little League.

"I'm on cloud nine right now," Gonzalez said. "It's going to give me the opportunity to see places I've never seen before."

Gonzalez, who played just one year for Glendale, impressed his coaches in his short stint. The team also prospered during his stay, winning the Southern California Regional and Western State Conference championships.

Ties to people in the baseball world also helped spread the word about his abilities.

Samohi assistant head coach Tony Todd lent a hand by contacting various teams, arraigning private workouts so the tall lefty could show what he could do.

Once he was drafted, Gonzalez received a call from Blue Jays legend Joe Carter to tell him to embrace the situation and to leave it all on the field."

"We knew he was going to be good talent wise," Glendale head coach Chris Cicuto said. "He needed time to mature and find himself.

"He made a huge dedication to Glendale and it paid off for him. We hope he comes back next season, but we wish him the best of luck."

http://www.smdp.com/Articles-sports-c-2012-06-06-74172.113116-Trio-with-local-ties-picked-in-2012-baseball-draft.html

• Reply to this Message
  • 6/7/12
  • landingdoc

"Alonzo Gonzalez and Chad Nacapoy have spent the last couple weeks as teammates on the Glendale Angelenos.

Someday, quite possibly in the near future, they could find themselves on opposite sides of an American League East Division battle.

Gonzalez, a left-handed pitcher out of Glendale Community College, was selected in the 18th round with the 565th overall pick of the 2012 Major League Baseball First Year Player Draft by the Toronto Blue Jays before Nacapoy (Crescenta Valley High, 2007) was scooped up 20 rounds later by the Tampa Bay Rays with the 1,172nd overall selection. Finally in the 40th and final round, St. Francis High standout David Olmedo-Barrera was snatched up by the Oakland Athletics.

Gonzalez, who went 7-2 last season with a 2.59 earned-run average in helping Glendale college reach the postseason for the second year in a row, said he had been in contact with the Blue Jays and the St. Louis Cardinals during the second day of the draft on Tuesday when the second through 15th rounds were conducted. He said the Blue Jays told him he could go anywhere from the 11th to the 16th round.

"When that didn't happen yesterday I was kind of let down, but I knew there was another day," said Gonzalez, who said he got a call from Toronto's area scout at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday to tell him that his name was coming up on the board. "I told [the Blue Jays] being a professional baseball player was what I wanted to do. After that, I put some water on my face, woke myself up and turned on the live draft coverage on my computer.

"Soon after I got my name called. I've been waiting for this for so long."

After Gonzalez irons out contractual issues, the first step will reporting to a minicamp in Florida, then obtaining a passport and taking a physical before a stint in either the Appalachian League or Single-A short season in Vancouver.

"I have to wait for my advisor to come back — he's in China right now — for us to discuss the pros and cons and what would be the best decision for me," Gonzalez said. "He's going to let me know what the contract entails pretty thoroughly, but as soon as possible I'll be heading out to Florida.

"I've been to Florida before, but when they told me they want to get me on a plane on Saturday, it was a little shocking. I knew it was going to happen quick, but I didn't know it was going to happen that quick."

http://www.glendalenewspress.com/sports/tn-gnp-sp-draft-20120606,0,625300.story

• Reply to this Message
  • 6/7/12
  • landingdoc

"Dan Klein, a former Hutchinson Community College catcher and Hutchinson Monarchs player, was taken in the 28th round Wednesday by Toronto in the Major League Baseball first-year player draft.

Klein was the 865th player taken overall.
An Overland Park native, Klein became known as one of the top defensive catchers in the NJCAA during his two years at HCC. In 2010, he made just five errors in 61 games. He also batted .337 with four home runs and 34 RBIs in helping the Blue Dragons to the Region 6 championship, and a third-place finish at the NJCAA World Series.

Klein was also a member of the first Monarchs team in 2009, where he caught and also became a relief pitcher. He had three saves that season, tying for the team lead.

This season for Kansas State, Klein batted .250 while starting 37 games. He hit four home runs and drove in 25 runs.

Klein is the second former Monarch to be taken in this year's draft. Former pitcher Mason Melotakis was drafted in the second round Tuesday by Minnesota."

http://hutchnews.com/monarchs/0607-Klein-drafted-by-Blue-Jays

• Reply to this Message
  • 6/7/12
  • landingdoc

Another UFA:

"Terre Haute, Ind.(WTHI) - With hid dad Brian Dorsett playing professional baseball, Brandon Dorsett grew up in a major league clubhouse. Now the younger Dorsett will get his chance at a big league career.

Less than a hour after this years MLB draft ended the Toronto Blue Jays called Brandon Dorsett, telling him they have a spot for him. The Blue Jays want the ISU relief pitcher to sign with them as a non-drafted free agent.

Dorsett will fly to Florida Saturday to the Blue Jays spring training facility. There he will join the rest of the Blue Jays 2012 draft picks for a mini camp, after a few days at the camp Dorsett is expected to receive his assignment."

Good video here too:
http://www.wthitv.com/dpp/sports/college/blue-jays-call-brandon-dorsett

• Reply to this Message
  • 6/7/12
  • landingdoc

Josh Almonte was sitting on the subway when he received a phone call that may change his life.
He was headed to his Corona home Wednesday afternoon after school when his phone began buzzing – it was Toronto Blue Jays area scout Michael Pesce informing the Long Island City outfielder the club had taken him in the 22nd round (685th overall) of the MLB First-Year Player Draft.
“I didn’t want to seem crazy on the train, so I stayed quiet,” he recalled. “On the inside I was definitely yelling.”
Almonte isn’t sure yet what he plans to do. He has a full scholarship to Division I junior college Miami Dade and will meet with his family and advisors before deciding.
“It’s a very hard choice to make,” he said. “It’s definitely something I would love to do, to go pro.”
A late bloomer, Almonte broke out over the summer with the New York Grays travel organization and drew the attention of several MLB organzations with his broad 6-foot-3 frame, speed, arm strength from the outfield and power.
There are red flags about Almonte’s bat. He hit just .244 with no home runs and seven RBIs this year after batting .395 with 17 RBIs as a junior. Pesce, the Blue Jays scout, admitted as much, describing Almonte as a “raw” prospect with “a lot of upside to him.”
“He’s a very projectable kid, that’s what made me like him,” the scout said. “His bat is still developing. It’s a work in progress. It’s there; it needs to be developed and polished.”
He became the first Long Island City player to get drafted directly out of high school since Paul Jata in 1967. He will certainly be the last as the failing school will be closing at the end of the month and reopened next year as Global Scholars Academy at Long Island City.
“It’s definitely exciting, it’s what I dreamed of,” Almonte said. “I feel honored to represent my school the way I did.”
In a roundabout way, Almonte helped his coach, Tom Lehman, on Wednesday. Lehman has to reapply for his job and when he meets the school’s new principal, he has an added bullet point on his resume.
“It’s a monumental event for our school,” Lehman said. “It’s a pretty special day. If I’m not the coach here next year, it’s nice way to go out.”
Lehman, however, doesn’t take much credit for Almonte. He credits the player's hard work and growth spurt for the recognition. Almonte put in hours on end before and after practice working on different aspects of his game. One day, in particular, stands out to Lehman. LIC had just played a game in 90-degree heat against William Bryant on a scorching Saturday afternoon. The coach was headed home, exhausted, when his star player called him – he was at the batting cage, but his bat was in Lehman’s trunk.
“He knows what it takes,” Lehman said. “He definitely put in the work.”
Almonte said he always worked hard, but he began pushing himself more during his junior season. He was always told he had talent, but at that point it dawned on him he wanted to make a career out of baseball. Playing with the Grays, alongside the Maryland-bound Grand Street Campus duo of Jose Cuas and Kevin Martir and Horace Mann’s Harrison Bader, only added to it.
“Seeing better competition made me push myself to get better or overcome them,” he said.
It got him to this point, having his name called by the Blue Jays. Uncertainty surrounds Long Island City. Teachers are fearing for their jobs. There is no telling what the baseball program will look like. But the final year did produce a pro.
“It feels great,” he said, “to leave a legacy at LIC.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_school/baseball/lic_almonte_first_baseball_player_YpDdcFov1Wx7bAqTYGlxwN#ixzz1x6pSfFiL

• Reply to this Message
  • 6/7/12
  • JaysFaninPeru

Great job landingdoc. Thanks for the help.

Guys give him a hand for all his great posts here and in other threads. I will not be posting anymore until later today. Guys jump in and give landingdoc a hand keeping this thread updated.

Edited 6/7/12   by  JaysFaninPeru
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/7/12
  • landingdoc

"Auckland teenager Daniel Devonshire's dreams of playing in the Major League have taken a step closer to becoming a reality.

Devonshire, who plays as a big hitting catcher, has been picked in the 37th round of the MLB draft by The Toronto Blue Jays today (NZT).

The 19 year-old attended ACG Parnell College in Auckland before dedicating his career to baseball where he has been playing for the Trojans out of the Colby Community College in Kansas.

Regarded as New Zealand's top high school player, Devonshire left for the US in 2011.

"15 hours to Arizona, is not fun at all sitting in a plane for that long, but I wanted to be a part of the Major League," Devonshire said.

Trojans Head Coach Ryan Carter has no doubts in the potential of Daniel.

"He's a rare talent. He's a left-handed power hitting catcher who can run and play all over the field," Carter said.

In his first season in Kansas, Devonshire hit .308 with 10 runs, 11RBI and 2 home runs.

He is the second Kiwi to be drafted into the Blue Jays, following in the footsteps of fellow Aucklander Scott Campbell who was drafted in 2006, but had to retired this year as a result of a long term hip injury.

Devonshire is the third Kiwi to connect with MLB teams over the past 18-months, following Wellington's Te Wera Bishop (Boston Red Socks) and Auckland's Pita Rona (Baltimore Orioles)."

http://tvnz.co.nz/othersports-news/kiwi-sensation-set-mlb-big-time-4918330

• Reply to this Message
  • 6/7/12
  • JaysFaninPeru

I hope you guys enjoy all the interesting articles. All I want for Christmas is that we sign all of our top 15 draft picks this year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/7/12
  • landingdoc

"With just 40 rounds to select the top talent across North America, the Toronto Blue Jays used a handful of their coveted selections to take a quartet of Canadian-born talent.
The top selection of the four was 12th Round pick Ryan Kellogg out of Whitby, Ontario. The 6'6" left-handed pitcher is just 18-years-old and is graduating from Henry Street High School in the coming days. Despite getting drafted by the Blue Jays, this pick is a flyer by Toronto to see if they can somehow intrigue the soon-to-be Arizona State Sun Devil from heading to the desert.

In a pair of recent outings back east, Kellogg struck out 11 in five innings of work allowing just a pair of hits while failing to issue a lone walk.

Playing for Team Ontario's U18 squad, Kellogg might have slipped too far down the draft board to take the Blue Jays up on their offer here as ASU is a strong NCAA program within a strong PAC-12 Division I circuit. This might be a tough sign for Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos.

To listen to LHP Ryan Kellogg chat with Jeff Blair of Sportsnet Radio about his potential future with the Blue Jays, Click here

Drafted in the 17th Round, the Blue Jays went with another LHP in Shane Dawson, a crafty pitcher out of the Drayton Valley (hour out of Edmonton, AB). His baseball collegiately has been played at Lethbridge Community College, where they play a mix of Canadian and America talent, this selection is an interesting one - but a lefty is always an intriguing selection.

In the 26th Round of the 2012 MLB First-Year Player Draft, the Blue Jays took Canadian high-school standout Nathan DeSouza who also played amateur baseball in Ontario. Out of Milton, ON, DeSouza is a speedy outfield prospect listed at 5'11", 175 pounds with room to grow. Still young at just 18 years of age, the Blue Jays may watch DeSouza head to school to gain some experience, put a few pounds on his frame and see if he can't shoot up the draft board in a few years.

The final Canadian-born player selected by Toronto came in the 39th round as Shaun Valeriote out of Guelph, Ontario heard his name called by GM Alex Anthopoulos.

The 6'1", 200 pound third baseman has been attending Brock University studing Sports Management and now he'll get a shot at seeing how to manage a pro baseball career should he sign on the dotted line with his hometown Blue Jays.

With the four players selected by the Blue Jays in this year's draft combined with the class of 2011, Toronto has taken nine Canadian-born players over the past two years proving their commitment to amateur baseball in our country while working to help a handful of bright young athletes get their shot at the bright lights of Rogers Centre in the coming years."

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120606&content_id=32887038&vkey=news_t435&fext=.jsp&sid=t435

• Reply to this Message
  • 6/7/12
  • landingdoc

"Newbury Park High senior pitcher Luke Eubank did not get drafted. But Eubank's teammate, Nick Lovullo, did.

The senior shortstop was selected by the Toronto Blue Jays in the 38th round with the 1,165th pick overall.

Lovullo batted .200 with 16 hits and 11 RBIs in helping Newbury Park capture the CIF-Southern Section Division 1 title last week.

"It was crazy. I honestly didn't believe it at first," Lovullo said. "But my mom and I came in and we started celebrating a little bit and I started realizing that I was drafted by a major league baseball team. It's kind of unreal."

Lovullo's dad, Torey, is the first-base coach for the Blue Jays.

"He told me a couple of weeks ago that I might get drafted by them," said Lovullo, who has committed to play at College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Mass. "But once it got to round 38 I didn't think it would happen because they only had like two picks left. But it did."

Lovullo was very surprised Eubank wasn't selected."

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2012/jun/06/stock-higher-second-time-around-in-mlb-draft/?print=1

• Reply to this Message
  • 6/7/12
  • landingdoc

"On Tuesday, Coastal Carolina pitcher Josh Conway was selected in the fourth round (134th pick overall, sixth pick of the fourth round) by the Chicago Cubs, while Liberty's Ian Parmley was chosen in the seventh round (235th overall) by the Toronto Blue Jays. The Blue Jays later selected Coastal catcher Tucker Frawley in the eighth round (265th overall). Flames' hurlers John Niggli (ninth round by Texas) and Blake Forslund (15th round by Arizona) round out the Big South's day two draft picks.

Parmley, who completed his career as a Flame this spring, becomes the highest Liberty draft pick since Jason Jones was taken by the New York Yankees in the fourth round of the 2004 MLB Draft. The 235th pick of the draft, Parmley becomes the second player in Liberty history to be selected by the Blue Jays. Left-hander Ryan Page was drafted by the same team in 20th round in 2008.

Parmley earned First-Team All-Conference honors this past season, starting every game and serving leadoff hitter for the 41-19 Flames. The outfielder hit .312 with 66 runs scored, 26 RBIs and 30 stolen bases this past season. He posted single-season career highs in runs scored, RBIs, stolen bases, hits (78), doubles (10) and walks (36) during the 2012 season.

Parmley tied for the Big South Conference lead in runs scored and stolen bases, while ranking fifth in hits and second in walks. He finished his career with 57 stolen bases, placing the senior sixth on Liberty's all-time stolen bases list. In addition, his 66 runs scored during 2012 are the second-most in a single season by a Flame.

Frawley had an impressive senior year, both on and off the field. He was named first team All-Big South and was one of 12 semifinalists for the Johnny Bench Award, which annually goes to the nation's top catcher. Off the field, Frawley was a first team Capital One/CoSIDA Academic All-America and 2012 Big South Baseball Scholar-Athlete of the Year. He graduated summa c*m laude with a 3.94 GPA in physics.

Frawley batted a career-high .296 this season and was an "Iron Man" behind the plate, catching 503 of the team's 560 innings or 89.9 percent. While his batting average dipped below .300 at the end of the season, he reached base safely (hit/walk/hit by pitch) in 52 of the 60 games he played to have an impressive .411 on base percentage. In addition, he handled a pitching staff that led the NCAA in ERA most of the season. He threw out an impressive 49 percent (25-of-51) of opponent base runners this season and added seven pick offs . For his career, Frawley threw out 40.6 percent (41-of-101) of his base runners. However, from midway through his junior season, Frawley ended his career by throwing out 36 of his last 71 (50.7) of his base runners.

For the year, Frawley scored 25 runs, hit eight doubles and one home run, drove in 27, walked 33 times and only committed four errors in 431 chances. For his career, Frawley batted .275 with a .378 on-base percentage with only nine errors in 854 chances."

http://www.bigsouthsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4800&ATCLID=205436706

• Reply to this Message
  • 6/7/12
  • landingdoc

"Cole Irvin, LHP, Servite (Anaheim, Calif.)
Irvin, who stands 6-foot-4 and 170 pounds, battled all spring. He impressed scouts late in the season by showing consistent fastball command and a competitive approach to go with an improved set of secondary pitches, including the occasional changeup in a two-hitter tossed earlier this month. Irvin is committed to Oregon, but his arm speed and projectable frame could be enough for a late Day 1 or very early Day 2 selection."

http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/baseball/category/_/name/high-school-baseball

• Reply to this Message
Message 82506.73 was deleted
  • 6/7/12
  • grant77
I want to sign Irvin badly, love the scouting reports. He's definitely one of or top 10 talents despite his draft position. Thanks for all of the articles as well.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/7/12
  • landingdoc

"It was a record year for Monterey County ballplayers in the Major League Baseball amateur draft. ...
The multi-talented [David] Pearson (30th round), whose three-sport career reached near super-hero status, was projected by many to be a high draft pick. But because he had received some scholarship offers from D-I college baseball teams, Pearson said he couldn’t make a firm commitment to the Red Sox and Blue Jays, who considered taking him in the 10th round.

“A bunch of things happened,’’ Pearson said. “Some people (teams) thought I’d go to school after the draft, and a couple of teams were hesitant because of that. A couple of other teams’ national crosscheckers saw more in other players. The Blue Jays kept texting me and said they’d try to negotiate with me.’’

Pearson said he and his adviser will meet with the Blue Jays, but at this point his career seems headed for the college level.

“I value education,’’ Pearson said.

Pearson chose not to disclose those schools that have expressed interest, but did say they were from the ACC, Pac-12 and Big 12.

http://www.thecalifornian.com/article/20120607/SPORTS/306070001/5-more-players-taken?odyssey=nav%7Chead

• Reply to this Message
  • 6/7/12
  • landingdoc
My pleasure!
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 82506.77 through 82506.78 were deleted
  • 6/7/12
  • landingdoc

Pittsford Sutherland senior Grant Heyman was selected by the Toronto Jays in the 11th round of the Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft.

Heyman, an outfielder who is 6-foot-4 inches and 200 pounds, was the 355th player chosen overall.

“I was watching MLB.com and a couple of teams said they were going to pick me,’’ Heyman said. “The Toronto Blue Jays had the first pick (among those teams).

“They announced it on a live feed, so I got to hear it.’’

This past season, Heyman had a .424 batting average with 5 triples, 3 home runs and 17 RBI for Sutherland (19-3), which reached the Section V Class AA semifinals.

“The Blue Jays want me to sign real soon, get things going,’’ Heyman said. “I haven’t talked to my father, it’s a decision our family will have to make, but right now it’s a very high possibility.

“I don’t want to say, because nothing is official yet.’’

Heyman said in late May that he is also considering attending and playing at the University of Miami, St. John’s, Pittsburgh, or at a prep school.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20120605/SPORTS/306050051/grant-heyman-drafted-toronto-blue-jays?nclick_check=1

• Reply to this Message
Message 82506.80 was deleted
Recent Discussions
Brett Lawrie's horrible swing
Latest by mercanary - 11:47 AM
DIVISION RACE
Latest by mercanary - 11:43 AM
Rajai Davis watch
Latest by sempai - 11:17 AM
Lind out ?
Latest by knightdepaix - 11:16 AM
New line-up