• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Why not Sign Brandon Inge?
  • 1/16/13
  • jbed
And how many years do we need to wait for Alderson to succeed? 3 years is not enough? Is it 5 years? And is 5 years enough? This is New York, dude, the world's largest baseball market. We don't have the patience for 5-year rebuilding projects. We want a winner NOW!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • Gepett0

that's fair, but omar left a fairly barren system and a bloated payroll w/ overpaid free agents at a time that ownership did not have liquid funds to pump into the team

really, next off season would be the litmus test....harvey, wheeler, niese, wright, tda, ike, and tejada is a formidable core to build around...add to that guys like mejia, familia, edgin, etc to build a bullpen and back of the rotation....the last of the bloated contracts comes off the books....if they fail to invest in the team at that time, that is an entirely different story

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • RobfromLI

"This is New York, dude, the world's largest baseball market. We don't have the patience for 5-year rebuilding projects. We want a winner NOW!!"

This is nonsense.

New York has a ton of teams and other than the Yankees, not one of them is a "winner" other than perhaps the NY Giants in the past 20 years. OTherwise ever single franchise in NY is a loser.

Our basketball teams stink, our hockey teams stink, our NL baseball team stinks and the Jets stink. This town has a ton of losers and NY fans can and have been living with losers for decades.

Remember this, the 2nd best franchise in terms of championships compared to years in existance in NY is the Islanders. Chew on that and tell me again that you have to "win now" in NY. If ever there was a bigger nonsense argument I don't know what it is.

Edited 1/16/13   by  RobfromLI
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • jbed

That's fair too GepettO. Agree.

I've been a Mets fan for over forty years. Sometimes my frustration boils over, like it has the past few years because I want this team to win so badly, and sometimes I truly question whether the ownership really is as passionate as the fans and willing to do what is necessary to build a winner. Even if they have some passion, they just don't have good business sense in terms of running a baseball team. So they should step aside and sell the team to owners who are willing to invest and truly dedicated to giving devoted, passionate NY fans a winning team.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • jbed
Really, NY teams besides the Yanks all stink? Rangers have been consistently good for a while and make the playoffs nearly every year. They won a championship since the Mets last did. Devils have won several championships over the past twenty year. So have the Islanders, although admittedly that franchise has fallen into disarray the past ten years. And while the Knicks and Nets have not brought championships, the Knicks are always competitive and have given us a lot of thrills over the past twenty years from the Ewing era to the present. As to the Jets, they are cyclical but make the playoffs a lot more than the Mets and got to two championship games in the past four years. The Mets are certainly the bottom feeder team in NY over the past twenty years. I can't see how you can dispute that.

Edited 1/16/13   by  jbed
  • Reply to this Message