Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Anyone know about Pocket watches?
  • 2/6/13
  • thagreat1
Better than a Quartz
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/20/13
  • CoBrA
hey Marvin, I should have asked you this awhile ago... when getting a pocket watch off ebay you know post 1900. What price should I be paying for a pocket watch? whats considered fair? I don't want to overspend for something that isnt worth its value. Thanks.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/20/13
  • marvelousmarvin

If it is an auction, the invisible hand of the market sets the price. In that situation, unless there is someone with less than 5 transactions feverishly bidding up the price, the chances of overpaying are small. If it is a best offer auction, bid at least half off and see if the seller bites. The asking prices are often inflated. If it is for sale only, it's likely inflated, but Google the item and see if something like it is being sold on the web.

It sounds like you didn't want to soend more than a couple hundred dollars and in that price range, the chances of getting scre wed are low, as long as the watch works.

What is post 1900? Post a link to an item you are interested and I'll have a look.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/20/13
  • marvelousmarvin
And open an auctionsniper.co m account, set your max price and let it handle the bidding. Much easier and it increases your chances of winning as long as it sells in your price range.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/21/13
  • CoBrA
well I haven't gotten a chance to look at them too much. My computer has been acting up since July and I have to get a new one. Ive been procrastinating. My comp restarts after 15 minutes (it varies) and I have to shut it off and then leave it off. The longer i leave it off the longer i get to spend the next time I put it on. Ive had the comp since 2004 so I know its old, i am guessing a power supply went or something. Its not a virus or anything, nor dust. Seems like anytime I use the browser the quicker it restarts on me. If I use something like yahoo messenger I can stay on longer. I used to be able to stay on for a very long time on aim or yahoo until one of the times I left my comp running over night it restarted on me and it kept restarted to the point where my screen turned black and when i restarted it would go black. Luckely I did something where I went to the restore screen when the comp starts up and did a chkdsk int he dos which just checked stuff didnt do much but for some reason it helped the situation but after that i could only spend so much time on messenger. Anyway sorryf or the long story... so you are saying I should try other auction sites than ebay? I heard froms oem guy that its better to get a watch post 1900 because the 1800 watches tend to have materials that broke more easily and it would be expensive to fix or impossible to fix. As fat as style of watch im looking for I don't care for gold, as long as i can get it for less. I like roman numerals also.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/21/13
  • marvelousmarvin
Oh OK, a 20th Century watch...I was probably the some guy who suggested that. But maybe you should put your money into a new computer or a less expensive tablet?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/21/13
  • CoBrA
i will, i guess im just trying to avoid windows 8, seems like something i dont want to learn lol
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/22/13
  • marvelousmarvin
Get a Mac.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/23/13
  • CoBrA
not used to macs, im a pc guy haha
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/23/13
  • marvelousmarvin
Macs run Office and don't get balled up and corrupted like PCs.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/25/13
  • CoBrA
i know, just the thought of using a mac since ive tried before , is something im not used to
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/25/13
  • KLake409
My new Laptop came with Windows 8 so I got Start8 (for $5) http://download.cnet.com/Start8/3000-2072_4-75732532.html
Now 8 is pretty much the same as 7.

Edited 2/25/13   by  KLake409
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/25/13
  • CoBrA
oooo
  • Reply to this Message