Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• All Ex-Cubs Team
  • 3/4/12
  • windangit
That team doesn't win 50 games.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/4/12
  • cubsfaninfla2
Josh Hamilton is not an ex-Cub, come on.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/4/12
  • sunnydoo

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hamiljo03.shtml

June 2, 1999: Drafted by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in the 1st round (1st pick) of the 1999 amateur draft. Player signed June 3, 1999.
December 7, 2006: Drafted by the Chicago Cubs from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in the 2006 rule 5 draft.
December 7, 2006: Purchased by the Cincinnati Reds from the Chicago Cubs.
December 21, 2007: Traded by the Cincinnati Reds to the Texas Rangers for Danny Herrera and Edinson Volquez.

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/4/12
  • ModerndayV
I don't think you can call Willis, Macgahee, and Hinske ex-Cubs since I don't think any of them ever played in the Majors for the Cubs. Not sure about Nolasco either.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/4/12
  • sunnydoo

It depends on what your definition of ex-Cubs are.

I would follow a more loose association of what an ex-Cub is because I follow our minor league system almost as much as I do the Big Club. I think there should be some reward for recognition of talent and drafting them even if they are traded before they get to the big club because they garner assets.

McGehee did play for us on the Big Club. All of the others did not.

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/4/12
  • jerm42991

really? He was sold to the Reds before they ever picked him, but since you can't actually trade draft picks they found a way around it

It is a slightly different situation, but do you consider Eli Manning a former Charger?

Edited 3/4/12   by  jerm42991
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/4/12
  • sunnydoo

Yes.

And a quick trivia question for you along those lines....

Who was Eli Manning's back up at Ole Miss and what was the link to Peyton on the team the answer used to play for?

Edited 3/4/12   by  sunnydoo
Edited 3/4/12   by  sunnydoo
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/4/12
  • jerm42991

I disagree. For a player to be considered part of a team they have to play at least one game with that team IMO. For baseball I don't even mean one major league game, just one game for the organization.

I don't remember the guys name or the connection, but he played for the Rockies at some point didn't he?

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/4/12
  • sunnydoo

Yes. Seth Smith was Eli's back up at Ole Miss.

The connection to Peyton on the Rox is Todd Helton who was the unfortunate soul that got hurt playing QB for UT (after Colquitt went down) that gave Manning the spot he never relinquished.

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/5/12
  • xxxxxxxxxxxxx0101010

I'm going to have to agree with Sunnydoo, to be an ex-Cub you simply had to be in the Cubs organization, minors or big league level. I can't go along with Hamilton though because he never played a game for the Cubs at any level.

Either way the list is unimpressive to say the least, especially when you look at the "talent" the Cubs produced from their farm system.

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/5/12
  • byaddison

I'm going to have to agree with Sunnydoo, to be an ex-Cub you simply had to be in the Cubs organization, minors or big league level. I can't go along with Hamilton though because he never played a game for the Cubs at any level. --------------

You just contradicted yourself. Hamilton was drafted by the Cubs thus he was in the Cubs organization. Whether he was member of the Cubs for 5 minutes or 5 years he was still a Cub.

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/5/12
  • sunnydoo
That was the Rule V draft though, not the Rule IV draft, so that might make a difference for some.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/5/12
  • lajoiesghost
Actually since the Cubs and Reds made the transaction BEFORE Hamilton was taken in the rule 5, one could say that Hamilton was a Cub for < .000001 second. In other words, Hamilton was never in reality a Cub. Maybe by the official registry to track his career he was a Cub but only on paper.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/5/12
  • A_Mazz_ing

"That team doesn't win 50 games."

I was thinking the same exact thing.

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/5/12
  • Drav
Hamilton was never a cub...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/5/12
  • Drav
That trade was the Reds using the Cubs pick to draft him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/5/12
  • cub87fan

1b- Derrek Lee
2b- Mike Fontenot
SS- Ryan Theriot
3b- Aramis Ramirez
C- Henry Blanco/Jason Kendall/Robinson Chirinos
LF- Kosuke Fukudome
RF- Josh Hamilton
CF- Sam Fuld
B- Corey Patterson
"PH- Eric Hinske
B- Carlos Pena
B- Xavier Nady
B- Felix Pie
B- Ronny Cedeno
B- Casey McGehee
B- Mark DeRosa

SP- Dontrelle Willis
SP- Ricky Nolasco
SP- Carlos Zambrano
SP- Jason Marquis
SP- Ted Lilly
R- Sergio Mitre
R- Tom Gorzellanny
R- Aardsma
R- Michael Wurtz
R- Rich Harden
R- Kevin Gregg
CL- Kyle Farnsworth"

You would start Lee ahead of Pena and put Willis in the rotation but not Gorzelanny? Also, where is Sean Marshall? Juan Pierre is missing too. If you are counting guys that were in the system, then you'd probably have to put Garland in the rotation too.

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/5/12
  • Batman66
The Cubs had a pre arranged deal with the Reds in the rule 5 draft. The Cubs were not going to pick anybody and the Reds really wanted Hamilton and feared he'd be picked before their pick so they worked out a deal with the Cubs. The Cubs never drafted Hamilton to be a Chicago Cub.
Not many teams wanted anything to do with him at that point, he'd not played baseball for a couple of years .
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/5/12
  • ModerndayV
Has Hamilton signed with anyone yet? Seems a lot of teams don't seem to want anything to do with him now either.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/5/12
  • GY Mike
Hamilton is the only guy on that list that I would take. Like the other poster said, he really wasn't on our team. It looks like we are going in the right direction to lose those guys.
  • Reply to this Message