• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• How far away are we from seriously contending?
  • 2/8/13
  • danthemetfan
You get what you deserve, to watch the best baseball players in the world play a game for you. That is what you deserve, and that is what you get. You can whine and say the Mets team as currently constituted is not the "best", but in the grand scheme of things, out of all the players in the world, they still are. This sense of entitlement is worthless. What have any of us done to deserve more? Sports are entertainment. That is it. It is a product they put on the field, and we watch. we want them to win, but the idea they "owe" us a championship is nonsense.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • Deadtrek
dan , question for you , after reading this forum for a month or so, why is your screen name danthemetfan -- shouldn't it be danthemetticketbuyer? ( LOTS of tickets available )
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • danthemetfan

1 - First and formost I am a fan. I follow the team, and root for them to win, as most of us do, because I have done so since I was 4 or 5. This by no means means that they owe me anything. It is my choice to put my emotions onto their success. I still do it anyway, along with every other team I follow.

2 - I live in Md. so I dont buy any tickets... well I do go to watch them in DC a few times a year.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • JoseJose
I have no problem if that is the type of fan you choose to be. Why do you have a problem with how other fans choose to be? Why is it your opinion that your method of being a fan is superior to others?

Edited 2/8/13   by  JoseJose
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • JoseJose

Your Spindy quote illuminates the very essence of Spinspeak:

"We're getting to the point..." (meaningless vague statement - how long will it take?)

"it wouldn't take more than a couple moves to change the whole perception..." (still TALKING about potential moves that do not get made - and notice he is not even saying what the goal of the un-made moves is - just another vague meaningless statement)

"We're at the point where we can make significant improvement..." (again speaking about beind at a point to do something, not doing it, or even specifying a timeframe)

"we've been looking at ways that we can actually do that." (it is almost impossible to read or hear this spinster say that without laughing, at this point, we have heard it so many time)

He certainly has earned the name Spindy Spinderson. Abe Lincoln rolls over in his grave every time he speaks. Perhaps that is his only charge though, a gift from Bud to his pal Fred (sigh) to spin things and hope enough fans are fooled as payroll drops more and more.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • danthemetfan

I find the fact that anyone thinks they deserve something they don't to be a problem. Maybe it is semantics, but to say you (not necessarily you in particular) "deserve" it or are "entitled" to it, really falls short of what that truly means.

What have any of us done to "deserve" more? Buy tickets? Buy merchandise? What? What makes us then deserve more than the other teams' fans that do the same? What I see is, generally the posters that think they "deserve" more, are the ones that are not happy with anything the team does. Also, what do any of them plan to do to get more out of what they "deserve"? It seems they want someone else to do something for them, which is not uncommon with those that feel entitled for the wrong reasons.

Lastly, what I do not understand is, if these fans are never happy with the team and how it is run, why be a fan? The ownership is not changing. As much as we want them to sell, the wilpons are not selling. People complain about Sandy, he doesnt do enough, or anything. While many of the same complainers hated Omar because he spent way too much money and on not the right guys. Or he got too many latinos and did not care about the American Draft. Before him, Duquette made terrible trades, and before him Phillips couldnt get a FA. Now all of that may be true, but if all you get out of this is negative <feedback, whats in it for you?

So be the fan you want to be (although many of these fans take umbrage to those that do enjoy the team, and look forward to possible better years), and maybe it is just word choice im arguing, I'm just saying sports are entertainment. Entertainment is for enjoyment. Lets enjoy the team and the sport.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • JoseJose
OK. My thinking on this is as follows: The team we root for is run by guys who were involved with bilking lots of people out of their life savings in a global banking fraud. Now that that money has dried out, they apparently can't really afford a baseball team or know how to run one but still want to, and in a worse-case scenario, have the backing of the commish to cut costs in the most major sports market on the planet. As a lifelong Met fan I can't help but notice and be bothered by those things. And it would seem appropriate to discuss them on a message board for Mets related topics. I agree that I don't understand fans that take umbrage with other fans, and that it looks like ownership is not changing, but it doesn't mean I am happy about that. And expressing criticism about the Mets on a Mets board doesn't affect my life negatively in any way.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • danthemetfan
Thats fair. I would love to see new ownership, and I was kind of hoping they would lose their case last year to force them to sell, but seeing as that wont happen, I do not let that affect my outlook of the team. I do not believe as some say, the Wipons are against winning. I just think it may not be their #1 concern. In the end, who am I to tell them what to do with their stuff. It is their team after all.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • metsheart
Interpret what Alderson says any way you want.

I think Mets aren't THAT far away from being at least .500. Which they haven't been for the last 4 yrs. Maybe even be in the WC hunt into at least August. Not saying I expect Mets to be in 2013 playoffs. Just that they won't miss it by all that much.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to Cot's Baseball Contracts Mets current payroll is about $82.4M. And still 15 more players yet to be paid. Even if all 15 of those players get the minimum that's anothr $7.5M. Total of $90M PLUS Lyon's contract. Lyon made $5.5M last yr. It'll probably be around that same amount. Brings total to about $95M which is what Mets 2012 payroll was.

So 2013 payroll WILL NOT DROP!!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • JoseJose
Also a fair view (and maybe your blood pressure is a bit better than some ;-)
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • danthemetfan
Yea its pretty good... could still be better. Watching NCAA basketball, and all the no fouls they now have are taking its toll on me. Basketball is unwatchable now, but thats for a different thread i guess.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • AdrianMonk

We need a position player who is a real star. I'm talking about the kind of guy who will eventually make 20M/year, only much younger.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • danthemetfan

well with inflation of the market, and of the dollar... 20M a year could one day be a bench player. We have those guys already.

Just Kidding.... i hope.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • AdrianMonk

Any team in baseball has the chance to win a game anytime they take the field. The early Mets beat both Koufax and Gibson.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • metsheart
"We need a position player who is a real star. I'm talking about the kind of guy who will eventually make 20M/year, only much younger"

Ike? d'Arnaud?

Yes I know d'Arnaud hasn't had a major league AB yet. And yes I know Ike's 2012 left a lot to be desired.

But you said "eventually." I think Ike starts showing his big time potential this season (assuming he's 100% physically). And if d'Arnaud lives up to his high prospect rating Mets will have 2 young guys that'll be stars.

Besides Harper & Stanton who else in NLE fits your specs for a "real star" position player who's young & will eventually make $20M/ yr?

Edited 2/8/13   by  metsheart
Edited 2/8/13   by  metsheart
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • capicu76

I beg to differ and think you're nuts!!! If the Nationals and Braves can stay healthy over the next few seasons and keep their core together, I don't see how this team is going to compete considering that the Wilpons are not willing to spend money.

I have no faith in the Wilpons or Alderson, and it's justified.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • bbyjean616
Somehow some think after losing a batting champ and a 20 game winning Cy Young pitcher in consecutive seasons where we won 72-74 games wont matter. Some think we'll be better somehow without them and win more games this year. With little power, and speed, not a single legitimate Outfielder, an anicent bullpen that was baseballs worst last year, and 2 reliable starters, I cant see how anyone would think we'll be competing anytime soon. JP Richarrdi was the Blue Jays GM and never once saw them to the post season. he has a horrible draft history. Depodesta has an even WORSE draft history with the Dodgers and These are OUR GM's Right hand men. Sandy's best years were with a high payroll. He has been caught lying already. His trades were busts. Somehow people justify trading your speedy CF for a SEVENTH INNING PITCHER AND 4th OF who would be our STARTING CF and not fault him for the move being a bust. 12 million for two years of Frank Francisco as our closer and people still have faith in this GM? He didnt go after the best out there in the draft, didnt sign our second round pick over 64 k and somehow we're supposed to have faith that this team will contend? Our owners are in hock. Everything I listed is a fact, not a jaded opinion, just a fact. How could anyone thing things are getting better? Cause we have a catching prospect whos been injured three times?
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548096.64 was deleted
  • 2/8/13
  • Moses0507

2013: 75 Wins but total improvement among the youngsters (Harvey, Ike, Tda, Wheeler)

2014: Around .500 record

2015: We contend, around 85-90 Wins

2016: Division Favorites

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/8/13
  • JoseJose
You need some kool aid ;-)
  • Reply to this Message