• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Sandy is working on a trade for a RF
  • 1/18/13
  • New_York_Mets_Fan
We're all waiting for the talking to end and the actual deals to occur. We as mets fans understand that the out field is pretty bad and we keep hearing how Sandy also understands this, now is the time for the Wilpons to let sandy go out and get the help that is needed, enough talk lets add some talent in the out field before the season starts.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • marvelousmarvin
That's exactly his game. It depends if Texas goes elsewhere and how badly the D-backs want to trade or unload payroll.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • MetObserver
Signing Hairston to be a platoon player is not what Hairston wants. He wants to be an everyday player because he tasted that a little with his success last year. That is why he has priced himself as such instead of a platoon/bench player.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • murphstates

The problem is he hasn't priced himself as an everyday player. If he did he'd be asking for much more.

Hunter Pence just signed for $13.8 million coming off of .253/24/104 with an OPS of .743

Hairston hit .263/20/57 with an OPS of .803 in 240 less ABs.

And that $13.8 million was exactly what was projected Pence would get.

• Reply to this Message
Message 547635.39 was deleted
  • 1/18/13
  • murphstates
I've read that too. If the Cubs are really interested Hairston should sign a one year deal, hit 25 HRs in that band box and get himself a real contract next year. If Pence hits the open market he's going to get $15 million, if Hairston puts up good numbers again he could get a three year deal.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • govmule72

"he is a patient man."

I'll say.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • Kranesback
are we going to give them like a billion dollars too because that's the only way that deal happens...they keep saying that the Seattle veto has not decreased the package they want back, so that essentially means a similar package which with us would be Wheeler, Flores, Parnell, amd Edgin.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • MetObserver
They have not come off that price YET. They may want to reduce payroll for the year and have the ability to find a place for Eaton to play. Their payroll last year was at $75 million and that is their high water mark since 2003. And they are now for 2013 already at that point without a full roster yet. They still have to settle 5 arbitration cases. So that asking price may drop before ST starts.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • metrebel

>> I think he definitely has an eye on Upton and ideally would like to land him, but I think that it would be at a certain cost and I just don't know if the market will ever match the value he wants. It would be nice though.

Supposedly Sandy has talked to the D'Backs about Upton. The first name Sandy heard was Wheeler and Sandy s not going to trade Wheeler. I'm sure if this was by phone once Sandy heard Wheeler the D'Backs heard click.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • edmet
sub fulmer or syndergard for wheeler, that is still a pretty good package. it kills our BP, may be too much for us to offer. given our outfield i would be tempted IF alderson has enuf $ left to sign some BP help.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • Kranesback
i would offer the same package for Stanton first and see if the Marlins bite (pardon the pun)
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13
  • edmet
agree try stanton first.
  • Reply to this Message