• Welcome Guest
New York Yankees

Welcome to the New York Yankees.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Your Sports Collectibles
  • Jan-25

The closest thing I have to that in the boxing world, Joe, is that Willie Pep turned around in my parent's driveway when I was there. He lived in the next town and died in my hometown a few years later. I knew it was him from his license plate...WPEP or something like that. And I caught a glimpse of him.

They say pound for pound he may have been the best ever.

• Reply to this Message
  • Jan-25

Willie Pep. That's a name out of the past. Great Fighter.

Boxing was pretty legit in them days. No "Phantom Blows". When you lost, you left the ringing actually looking like you lost! (and sometimes when you won......See Carmen Bassilio. LOL)

• Reply to this Message
Message 531237.35 was deleted
  • Jan-25
yeah
  • Reply to this Message
  • Jan-25
Great series of collectibles, but an outstanding family story by far... And Mo? Class Act!
  • Reply to this Message
  • Jan-25
The thing is, you'll never part with it... right?
  • Reply to this Message
  • Jan-25
That's a cool story, too - From Munson to the whole team... at 9 years old it must have seemed that you had all the money in the world.
  • Reply to this Message
  • Jan-25
Munson was one tough ballplayer - a total shame that his life ended way too early.
  • Reply to this Message
  • Jan-25
AMEN.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 531237.42 was deleted
  • To:All
  • Jan-25
My dad still has it.
An autographed scorecard signed by Mel Allen.
Also signed balls by Lawrence Taylor and Tom Seaver.
  • Reply to this Message
  • Jan-25
it sure did
  • Reply to this Message
  • Jan-25

To: xjoeyx unread (38 of 44)

531237.38 in reply to 531237.27

The thing is, you'll never part with it... right?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well, I'm 68 now and I still have it.......so yep, you are right, I'll never part with it.

• Reply to this Message
  • Jan-25
Carmen Basilio, read the book "The Onion Picker". Good book about boxing in the 50's and Carmen's life has a boxer. I grew up near Canastota, his home town.
  • Reply to this Message
  • Jan-26
Even the fights he Won.........he looked like the loser!
I've seen him with both eyes just about closed...and still answering the bell. IMO, The refs of Today probably would have stopped most of his fights.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • Jan-26

I worked for a company that sometimes we came in contact with athletes, I met Johnny Unitas and Tony Stewart but couldn't keep the autographs.
I do have Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Joe Frazier and Jim Boeheim. I drove Jabbar around for a couple of days when he spoke at Colgate University. He's an amazing guy.
Quite a mix of personalities there.

• Reply to this Message
  • Jan-26
Why weren't you able to keep the autographs?
  • Reply to this Message
  • Jan-26
My bosses insisted they were company property. After that I made sure I got my own. Jabbar wouldn't sign any basketballs for me so he gave me photo and signed it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • Jan-27
I can't beleive that dope is still posting to me. I've ignored him for years. He must be furious.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 531237.52 was deleted