Message 546754.33 was deleted
  • 12/18/12
  • Moses0507

What Video game do you KILL CHILDREN??

I missed that?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • wright75
im a video game junkie...and i will tell you the only games i've ever seen a child die in was in mass effect 3 and possibly one of the call of duty games...in mass effect 3 it is made to be a sad and powerful scene and in call of duty you can turn the scene off if you dont want to watch it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/18/12
  • _BigNick
About Roger Ebert:
"Let me tell you a story. The day after Columbine, I was interviewed for the Tom Brokaw news program. The reporter had been assigned a theory and was seeking sound bites to support it. "Wouldn't you say," she asked, "that killings like this are influenced by violent movies?" No, I said, I wouldn't say that. "But what about 'Basketball Diaries'?" she asked. "Doesn't that have a scene of a boy walking into a school with a machine gun?" The obscure 1995 Leonardo Di Caprio movie did indeed have a brief fantasy scene of that nature, I said, but the movie failed at the box office (it grossed only $2.5 million), and it's unlikely the Columbine killers saw it.
-
>>>>>The reporter looked disappointed, so I offered her my theory. "Events like this," I said, "if they are influenced by anything, are influenced by news programs like your own. When an unbalanced kid walks into a school and starts shooting, it becomes a major media event. Cable news drops ordinary programming and goes around the clock with it. The story is assigned a logo and a theme song; these two kids were packaged as the Trench Coat Mafia. The message is clear to other disturbed kids around the country: If I shoot up my school, I can be famous. The TV will talk about nothing else but me. Experts will try to figure out what I was thinking. The kids and teachers at school will see they shouldn't have messed with me. I'll go out in a blaze of glory."
-
In short, I said, events like Columbine are influenced far less by violent movies than by CNN, the NBC Nightly News and all the other news media, who glorify the killers in the guise of "explaining" them. I commended the policy at the Sun-Times, where our editor said the paper would no longer feature school killings on Page 1. The reporter thanked me and turned off the camera. Of course the interview was never used. They found plenty of talking heads to condemn violent movies, and everybody was happy.
"
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • ohhthepain

I think Mary Ellen O'Toole, who worked for 15 years in the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit where she studied psychopaths and helped capture killers said it best and is right on target when she said

"O'Toole said people with Asperger's aren't known to commit such violence and that too much is being made about Lanza's mental health.

"It's time we stop putting out the mental health issue as an excuse that he didn't know what he was doing," she said.

I agree with her...There are so many people who are or could be classified as mentally ill who have zero in common with this "bad guy" So much focus is being put into understanding the hows and why's "he was mentally ill..His mother left guns around a mentally unstable young adult"

So much so it is taking the focus off the fact he made a choice..The reality is there are people on this earth who's one goal in life is to hurt others. Like people who use airplanes as missles to kill innocent people. These are "bad guys"

At its core this was a mass murder suicide that had a great deal of thought and planning to it..He didn't snap..It was designed to inflict maximum damage and allow for him to feel a sense of supreme power. Rather than go out a miserable nobody this "bad guy" wanted to go out securing his legacy as one of the worst monsters the world has ever known.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • edmet
wow! i have been playing nintendoland, am i at risk for going looney because i am playing it or am i looney therefore i play it, or am i just enjoying the game? or am i a looney met fan? i own guns i have never shot anybody. i own a baseball bat i have never hit anyone over the head with it. i have been a met fan since 1964, i have never shot myself or jumped off a bridge, tho i have jumped up and down and screamed at the tv set. bottom line is we need protection from the loons, i say limit magazine clips for handguns to 8, longguns to 5. close the gun show loopholes. this will mitigate the problem, but nothing will totally end it. and keep your hands off my nintendo!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • edmet
many of them are like puzzles that force the player to think things thru, develop strategies. they are fun. people go to violent films too, they are all over the tv. we need reasonable gun laws. i am a gun owner. i say end gun show loophole, limit handguns to 8 round clips, longguns to 5. parents need to parent and monitor kids computer/tv habits. in this case the "kid" was 20 yrs old, what can you do?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • edmet
i think semi-auto guns are ok, BUT limit mag capacity to 8 rounds for handguns, 5 for longguns. make it a felony to posses higher mag capacities. give people 6 months to turn in their magazines before criminal penalties come into play. have a buyback program for the mags say $15.00 each if they are turned in during 6month grace period. gun manufacturers will make $ making new mags for old guns that fit the new regs. people get to keep their guns for legit hunting and self defense purposes. most gunfights are over with 3 to 5 shots. an 8 round semi-auto or 6 shot revolver is sufficient for self defense. 5 round clips are enuf for hunting or target practice. guns for self defense are legit, but outside military or police, you don't need 10plus clips. my suggestion will not stop all the craziness, but is imo a reasonable compromise that will mitigate the problem and respect the right to bear arms. nothing will prevent craziness 100%.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • Yankeefantic
video games and movies have become too violent. I am sorry to say this , because there are probably many Mets fans here who are obssessed with playing video games. They are too violent.Yesterday on The View they had a crimmal psychiatist there and he said that any game that awards you points for killing as many people as possible is dangerous and should be banned. I agree.
And I blame the Mother. Whoopi Goldberg was very angry today on The View. As she said , no one should be allowed to buy assault weapons, which are weapons of mass destruction. They belong with the police or the military in combat, not the average citizen. And not an average citizen who clearly had a mentally unstable son. She dropped the ball. She allowed him to have access to these guns. He should have been locked up and given the treatment he badly needed. The treatment that clearly beyond her control . She was not equiped to handle his mental illness. But, she chose not to commit him and look what happened.She is dead and 26 familes will never be the same.
And the Father knew his son was unstable . He should have gotten the guns out of the house or at least made sure he had no access to them. And the clerk that sold him a bulletproof vest should have contacted police. There is no reason for a regular citizen to need a bullet proof vest. Alarms should go off in your head.
What does that tell you ? He did not want to die. He smashed the computers in the house because there was damaging evidence on the hard drive that he did not want the police to get their hands on.
He goes to the school to intentionally murder children and teachers. Why? Because he has a deep seated hatred for teachers and children can't fight back. He kills himself as soon as the first responsers show up, because he did not want to be taken alive. He did not want to go to prison, so he killed himself.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • Yankeefantic

Give all school children UZIs (that would stop it). LOL :)

proud of yourself , idiot. You think this is funny you twisted piece of garbage?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • Yankeefantic
wrong! he broke into the school. Been watching the reports on TV?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • DFAB
Some games are pretty graphic and some are a bit much. But shooting games are just supposed to be fun since they are in fact GAMES. Sports games, shooting games, RPG games....they are only supposed to be for entertainment purposes. If an average kid starts playing a shooting game, are they likely to then say "hey, this is cool...I should try getting guns and doing drive by shooting!" No way...it takes an emotionally/mentally troubled individual to do something like that. Games aren't really supposed to "teach" anything and aren't supposed to be taken seriously. If the individual DOES take the game seriously, that is the person's problem...not the game's problem.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • PrayedforBay

You may think that personally, and thats okay by me if you don't want to watch stuff with over the top violence, but to suggest that watching it is what turns people violent... nah. I'd say our culture is what does that and these games and movies are a reflection of our culture.

Now specifically talking about really serious mental cases, I'd say their condition is the main factor in allowing such heinous acts.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • metsicle

I know that Hitler was a BOSS in Call of Duty. Napolean pwnd all the fools in Gears of War.

This whole blaming VGs is nonsense. I play a ton of video games and I've never picked up a weapon in anger.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • thebobymon

I wasn't referring to his diagnosed sickness. I was talking about living a life where you stand out, for what is perceived as, all the wrong reasons. I didn't even know he had a "mental issue" until after I posted what I did.

Life like that can get to anyone, do you think he never heard his own mother say don't turn your back on him, etc.?

This is just the tip of the iceberg, that I would feel safe betting on, of a life full of psychological abuse.

Who knows what scars some, that others can shrug off.

Just my observation, without all the facts.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • wright75
NRA is holding a conference Friday
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • benreeper2
Automatic weapons are illegal in CT, MA, NY, NJ and most states. The same for magazines larger than 10 rounds. Shotguns can hole 8. An AR is semi-auto just like skeet shotguns are. It takes a long time to get guns legally in the Northeast. CT is one of the firearm regulated places in the country. It is not AZ or TX. If you're getting your knowledge of weapons from the TV news, you are being grossly misinformed.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • KLake409

Well maybe there should be a sanity test before you can buy guns, is it sane to teach a mentally ill person to use guns?. in the article it said she was teaching her son to use the guns (So the Mother herself was insane!).

Edited 12/18/12   by  KLake409
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546754.52 was deleted