• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Johan Santana 2014 option vests for $25MM if
  • 2/17/13
  • joemets22
Johan unfortunately is not going to have much trade value. Sandy, who's paid in part to paint a rosy outlook, said at the end of the season that they would consider themselves lucky if they got 150-160 innings out of Johan this season. Pretty much nobody expects that he's going to finish a full season from the very beginning. I'd still be in favor of getting whatever we can but people better not be expecting a top prospect for him.

Edited 2/17/13   by  joemets22
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • Kranesback
I think they would trade one of those 3 in. A deal for Stanton in a heartbeat.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • 86kid

Well have to agree to disagree then. I recall many people saying the same thing about Beltran going into his walk year.

I think if Johan rolls into with a 3.00 ERA, looking healthy, and thr Mets eat a big chunk of his remaing contract, then contenders will have serious interest in a competive veteran lefty like this. As we have seen in the past, it only takes one team hungry enough.

Maybe it won't be another Wheeler, but then again, maybe it will.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • 86kid
I think getting Stanton would be very hard, and would cost us more talent then it might be worth giving up. But if several of those guys are lower level guys who are 3-4 years away, then it would sting a bit less I guess .
  • Reply to this Message
Message 548364.36 was deleted
  • 2/17/13
  • AdrianMonk

Maybe we can get a second round draft choice for him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/17/13
  • Kranesback
I don't think he'll be moved this year, but was reading an article (in one of the Florida papers I think) that basically said that Nolasco is gone at the break and Stanton is likely to be "auctioned off" next winter. I'd say something like Wheeler, Fulmer, and Nimmo would do it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • GoMets6986
215 innings!? I'd take 180 innings from Johan at this point.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • saztastic2012
So very very unlikely to vest, 215 innings highly unlikely.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • saztastic2012

Wont hurt it at all, He is not going to pitch 215 innings, That is a whole lot of pitching, If he makes 30 starts which is a complete season he would need to go 7 Plus every game, If he pitches 33 games which is slightly better then every fifth game he would need to go 6 and a half innings everytime out.

He most likely will go 6 on average and if he got 33 starts that is still just 198 innings.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • saztastic2012
If he went 6 innings every single time out and went the entire season never missing a start he would have 198 Innings at best which would be well short of vesting and lets not forget I am sure they are going to look for times to skip him early just to keep him fresh.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/18/13
  • saztastic2012
If he went 6 innings every single time out and went the entire season never missing a start he would have 198 Innings at best which would be well short of vesting and lets not forget I am sure they are going to look for times to skip him early just to keep him fresh.
  • Reply to this Message