• Welcome Guest
Angels

Welcome to the Angels.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Third base is covered!
  • 1/18/13
  • AprilThruSeptember
That's a good word to use. That will do.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • robrock30

I see him as a below avg. 3B C- who has a career BA .275 and career OBP .331, avg. BABIP, slow base runner poor RBI producer. He looks to walk which increases his OBP above his BA but doesn't score runs when he reaches 1B. He was traded to the Angels mid 2010 and under achieved. He improved in 2011 and regressed in 2012 to career avg. stats. He wasn't everyday as I remember Izzy played alot of 3B last year after the Trumbo experiment.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • BigSchtick

"Fangraphs Personified"...Yea..Yea..I play fantasy baseball too..!!
Callaspo ranked 25th and Mark Reynolds ranked 11th for good reason
(FIELDING IS NOT PART OF THIS EQUATION)

In real life, teams do play poor fielders at 3B as long as they're well above
average "contributors" as batters..even then, they "eventually" move them
to a less demanding fielding position like Left Field..(Braun perfect example)
The point is they can't stay there long term..UNLESS..they can put up
"passable stats" as a 3B fielder. Jimenez as you suggested does not fit
the "profile"..

Callaspo on the other hand is ranked very high as a 3B in the fielding dept.
What this does is reflected in his WAR...Now compare his WAR with all
other 3B...The next question is how good of a hitter is he "really"...
Well, good enough to bat 4th and 5th in the KC lineup...look it up.

Don't get me wrong..I'm not in love with the guy..but compared to the
"other 29"...he ain't too bad...so give him some love...ha...ha..

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • robrock30

Here are the defensive rankings for 3B in 2012:

Callaspo is 8th behind Youkilis who is 7th. Youk had not played 3B for quite a while prior to last year

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding/_/position/3b/order/true

Here are the offensive rankings for 3B in 2012:

Ouch Callaspo is 15th ranked by BA but you can rank by other stats e.g. 9th by WAR

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/position/3b

Edited 1/18/13   by  robrock30
Edited 1/18/13   by  robrock30
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • BigSchtick

"Youk"..What he WAS...versus what he IS now
I think you need to take a MUCH CLOSER look at that..

Additionally, he has always been very injury prone throughout his ENTIRE career
I've always loved the guy cause he put it all out there on the field..
(which at times resulted in injuries)

Sorry, ...not as good as Callaspo...now vs. now

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • robrock30

I have presented the stats for you to compare but I think we both agree that we are having this discussion now because the FO should have signed Adrian Beltre prior to the 2011 season.

Callaspo would not be a starter for us and Vernon Wells and his bad contract would not be here either.
Perhaps Mike Napoli might still have been here. The past two years may have had a better outcome as a result.

• Reply to this Message
Message 127419.38 was deleted
  • 1/18/13
  • Angel_Graffiti

Fielding Bible has Callaspo as the sixth best fielding third-basemen in baseball.

His WAR is solid. He's a nice player. He's not a player you hold a position for, he's not a player you consider a strength.

Unlike Bourjos and Trumbo, he's not a player with a great deal of upside, but he could end up being more valuable than both.

I don't understand the dislike for the guy. I'm glad we have him. That said, when someone better comes along, I'm ready to replace him.

So far that's no one. Hopefully Cowart in a couple of years.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • robrock30

The one error of omission was followed by the desperation reaction which caused horrendous consequences and the GM change.

We can all learn a lesson from this example.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • robrock30

The problem is that I was in love with Glaus and Figgins prior, very different players but both fantastic.

The Angels erred by not signing Adrian Beltre and the picture would have been much brighter.

This year I would have preferred Youkilis on a short term basis. From what I read he lives on the West Coast ( San Fran. Bay area) and would have preferred to be on the West Coast instead of signing with the Yankees. Didn't happen. Now with Callaspo's 2 year contract, he blocks Luis Jimenez.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • Angel_Graffiti

He's not Glaus, he's not Figgins.

-
The Angels erred by not signing Adrian Beltre and the picture would have been much brighter.
--
Do you know that two years ago Callaspo hit better on the road than Beltre. Offensively, he's not as good as you think he is.

Road OBP last year 328. He would not be nearly as good if he played here.

Callaspo is better than Youkillis. He doesn't have the upside. But he's likely to be better.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • robrock30

We will see if in 2013 Callaspo or Youkilis is the better player. Youkilis has been declining and has been injured. Last year he had a falling out with Bobby Valentine in Boston ( but then who didn't) so I would throw out his first half stats in Boston. I felt that he rebounded in Chicago except for BA hitting in the #2 hole in their lineup.

A healthy Youkilis can put up 100 runs, 30 HRs, 100 RBIs, & 400 OBP. He grinds out at bats, wears down the pitchers and improves those around him in the lineup. We will see which one of us is correct on this score.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • exileindc

Last time Youkilis did that it was 2009 and he was 30 years old.

Now he's 34 (or will be at the start of the season) and hasn't played much more than 120 games since then. Even if he stays healthy, it's difficult to imagine that at 34 he'll replicate the performances he used to put up at 29 and 30.

Keep in mind that Youk is a pull power hitter so that home run rejuvenation in Chicago could mostly be the result of the relatively friendly left field porch they've got (short walls and tends to catch the prevailing winds).

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • Angeleer

< "Youk"..What he WAS...versus what he IS now
I think you need to take a MUCH CLOSER look at that.. >

The Yankees are going to get some firsthand knowledge of what you are talking about with A-Roid out at least until the AS break, if he returns at all.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • BigSchtick

<Beltre>..Its real easy to see "mistakes" afterwards..
AND...in some cases(Wells)...easy to see "beforehand"
Mistakes easy to see beforehand result in "firings"

Its...A WHOLE LOT HARDER to predict minor league talent
that can convert into a MLB star...We've had several occurances
of third base minor league stars...that looked "dont miss"
which turned out to be horrible disappointments....

I commend Angels Mgt for making the right choice regarding
Callaspo...we know what we have.and it aint too bad..

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • BigSchtick
<Yankee Youk>....Back in familiar surrounds..
but he'll disappoint "The Rock"...ha...ha...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • Bozeman

Callaspo's two year deal probably kills Jimmez chances. It's clear Cowart will displace or replace Callaspo now.

Our lineup 1-9 is set for the next two years or until Cowart arrives.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • ExNo15

Wow, I guess I can get pretty rude when I've had a few to drink.

Take a look at the career BABIP for Ted Williams. While his was consistently higher, which it's going to be for the best hitters, it still fluctuated quite a bit.

http://www.fangraphs.com/comparison.aspx?playerid=3336&position=2B/3B&page=7&players=1014040

Callaspo has had alternating seasons of above and below average BABIP for the last four years. Hitters have much less control over BABIP than they do walk rate and strike out rate. A lower BABIP in any given year is more likely a result of bad luck than diminished skills.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • Angeleer

< It's clear Cowart will displace or replace Callaspo now. >

I wouldn't be too sure about that, Cowart hasn't really impressed so far. But yeah, Jimenez's days in the Angels organization are probably numbered.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • Bozeman

Yes,
Cowart is unproven, and we've been through this before.

My comments are guarded for sure.

• Reply to this Message