• Can platoons be good?
  • 12/20/12
  • Kranesback
Very good point.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • metsheart
"Platoons work when you have Seaver, Koosman, Gentry and Ryan in the rotation"

Mets will have Harvey, Wheeler, Niese in 2013. And in another yr will have Syndergaard and/ or some of the other top rated pitching prospects coming through the Mets minors. Will be pretty darned good rotation!!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • metsheart
So part time platoon Lenny/ Mookie.

Still Backman/ Teufel was a pretty successful platoon for the '86 Mets.

And SEVERAL successful platoons on WS champ '69 Mets!!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • metsheart
In your opinion how many yrs in MLB showing he hits way better from 1 side before a player should be platooned?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • metsheart
Far as I know Mets didn't re-sign Hairston yet.

Baxter can be tried as every day player in 2013. But there should be some backup plan if he can't do it.

Mets are now starting to get a quality team. Whole infield now looks solid offensively. Ike, Murph, Tejada (good avg), Wright & now d'Arnaud. Would 2 OF platoons be too much?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • nocedog
The problem with your assessment is that the 86 Mets were a GREAT team without that platoon. They were able to get away with that because they were stacked. Just because you have it on a winning doesn't mean it's recommended.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • nocedog

So instead of "can platoons be good" it should be "can we survive with a platoon" and the answer is almost definitely not. Good teams almost never have platoons.

Please don't waste your time finding obscure examples.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • metsheart
Current Mets --

How's the rotation shaping up w/ Harvey for a full season & Wheeler up early on?

How's the infield now that d'Arnaud will be catching?

Since Mets BP was 2nd worst in MLB 2012 what are the odds they won't at least be average for 2013 w/ Batista, Beato, Acosta gone?

Would 2 OF platoons in 2013 (vs Torres & Bay 2012) be enough improvement to be at least average?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • metsheart
Good team almost never have platoons?? 1969 World Series Champion Mets had FOUR regular platoons!!! But they weren't a good team??? 1986 World Series Champion Mets had 1 part time platoon (CF Lenny/ Mookie) & 1 regualr platoon at 2B (Teufel/ Backman). But they weren't a good team either???

If you're unwilling to have a civil discussion using facts/ examples of the past about the value of platoons please don't waste anyone else's time being a buffoon.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • saztastic2012
Yes assuming they can both be used in other situations when not starting, Like a pinch hitter, Runner or defensive repalcement.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • nocedog

<<<Would 2 OF platoons in 2013 (vs Torres & Bay 2012) be enough improvement to be at least average? >>>

Average meaning what? 81-81? No! We're going to stank this year.

<<<How's the infield now that d'Arnaud will be catching?>>>

Huh? He wont' be on the opening roster. And when he does come up he'll be a rookie.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • nocedog

The 1969 Mets were called the MIRACLE Mets for a reason. Miracles happen once a generation.

Again, those were pretty much our worst positions in 1986, as far as production. That team was STACKED. That's the only way they could support platoons.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • saztastic2012
Ahhh yes the big book of it wont work because.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • metsheart
Cool piece on platoons. Thanks.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • metsheart
Agree.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • metsheart
So Thole & Nickeas NOT catching & d'Arnaud coming up early on isn't an improvement over the course of the season??

No. Average OUTFIELD. NOT average RECORD. OF was horrid last yr. AVERAGE OF would be HUGE step up!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • metsheart
No. Sorry. '69 Mets were NOT "stacked" OFFENSIVELY!! Pitching-wise yes. But NOT offense!! That's the whole reason Hodges resorted to using FOUR platoons!!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • nocedog

<<<So Thole & Nickeas NOT catching & d'Arnaud coming up early on isn't an improvement over the course of the season??>>>

Who knows? Sometimes highly touted rookies hit .180 their first year. We don't even know when he'll come up. Could be August. Could be never.

<<<No. Average OUTFIELD. NOT average RECORD. OF was horrid last yr. AVERAGE OF would be HUGE step up!! >>>

Okay, then to answer that question. No, i don't think we'll have an average OF. I think it'll be one of the worst in the league.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/20/12
  • nocedog
Reread my post. I didn't call the 1969 Mets stacked. I called the 1986 Mets stacked. I called the 1969 Mets a miracle. They're still one of the most famous championship teams of all time - because of how absurdly unlikely it was that they would win a world series. So let's pretend that can happen again this year.
  • Reply to this Message