Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• NO REASON METS CON NOT CONTEND WITH BRAVES & PHILS IF WE GET
  • 2/7/13
  • hammr1952
whatever you say nostrildamus.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • mobeen

yep typo - but you post these stats every year to justify that we were only a few runs behind or our ERA was one of the best, but we still can't finish better than 4th. This team is "still under construction" and there are plenty of holes to even be optimistic about contending. I would love if we finish .500, but I still see this team as a 74-76 win team.

Hey if they exceed expectations, I will only be happy, but I don't want to lose sleep over it anymore.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • mobeen

How can you justify adding and subtracting like that? Dickey should have had 25 wins had it not been for offense and BP. It's also highly possible that Harvey posts an ERA of 2.75 and still only wins 8-9 games.

It doesn't work like that, you can't just add or subtract runs just based on hypothetical scenarios. If Wright or Ike get injured for any period of time, we might not be able to score 600 runs.

Basing on history, Johan will probably get injured and that will propel Harvey as the #1 starter where he will be pitching against #1 starters of other team. Just there, he will be at a disadvantage.

Overall, the few guys on the team have potential, but as the team stands right now, you have to delusional to think that it's AT LEAST a .500 team. I would love to see that, but I can't put blinders and be objective about it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • edmet
getting bourn puts us in position to make a run. sandy would have to make some deadline deals if we are close. he will have the chips, w/o sacrificing harvey,wheeler,tda. everything has to go right.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • saztastic2012
That would work but it seems most think thhe pick will end up being protected.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • saztastic2012
Poor thing can not even read.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • Kranesback
..and 7 less than Dickey...the point is?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • saztastic2012
Cuase many (not all but many) of them just enjoy moaning and complaining.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • saztastic2012

Our biggest weakness, And the cause 29 of our 88 losses has on paper been fixed,

If our pen was just average last year just average with the offense we had including the well below average production we got over 1200 ABS from Bay, Torres, Thole and Shoppach and rotation that took many hits we would have been 81 and 83

NL Average 23 wins, 24 loses
Mets pen 16 and 29
that is 7 wins below average and 5 loses worse then average

If our pen was 23 and 24 which again is just average not even good with the team and all its faults we would have been 81 and 83,

So with the pen upgrade alone we should be .500, Not even factoring in the increased offsense.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • saztastic2012
:>)
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • saztastic2012
Well TDA will be here soon enough:>)
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • mobeen

I am probably a depressed Mets fan but all I know is if the pen would have been average, we would have been below average on some of the other categories... maybe we might not have scored that many runs, maybe our starters would not have gone that deep. Barring a couple of seasons in the past 10-15 years, the Mets team has not put all facets of the game together to be a consistent team.

Can it change? maybe - am I hopeful? yes - I can only go with the state of the team and the current roster. It's not the kind of roster that would make us a contender. But I hope I will be wrong come July - don't see it happening though.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • saztastic2012
I think this year alot less has to break our way to contend. Fact is alot went wrong last year, We had a number of injuries, A number of releif pitchers under perform, Bay forget how to hit, Thole as well, Torres failed, Ike had VF and had a bad couple of months, Alot went wrong.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • metsheart
"Dickey should have had 25 wins had it not been for offense and BP. It's also highly possible that Harvey posts an ERA of 2.75 and still only wins 8-9 games"

Dickey SHOULD have had more wins. BUT DIDN'T!!! BP had TWENTY-NINE LOSSES in 2012!!! With Batista/ Beato/ Acosta/ R. Ramirez gone & new additions plus kids I think it's not unreasonable that BP can cut down to 20 losses.

Harvey could post 20 wins too. Or could post zero wins. We can only go by what scouts project & how we saw him pitch last season. Be hard to believe he won't at least have more than the 3 wins he had in his 10 gms w/ 2012 Mets vs around 30 starts in 2013. Even if he only has say 10 wins that's 7 less wins (10 wins for Harvey in 2013 minus 3 wins in 2012) Mets have to make up for loss of Dickey's 20 wins.

If Santana's hurt Niese gets #1 status. Marcum is #2 & maybe Harvey's #3 then. No way Mets FO lets Harvey take on the pressure of being #1 or #2 at this stage of his career.

Would be "delusional" to think Mets will be in WS. NOT "delusional" to think Mets can be .500.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • metsheart
Point is Dickey's 20 wins will be made up for. Anything beyond that puts the Mets above 2012 level. If BP can cut down TWENTY-NINE BP LOSSES in 2012 to say 20 BP losses in 2013 Mets can get to 84 wins. Not even counting having Gee & Harvey for a whole season & having Marcum vs Young/ Batista/ Hefner/ McHugh starting in 2012.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • saztastic2012
Well yes, But if we are there come ASB and need to add a OF and or reliever I am sure we would.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • saztastic2012
See that is just the jaded Met fan in you:>)
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • marvelousmarvin

Yes, the words Mets con in your heading is apt.

The Mets are a year or two away from contending. .500 would be a big accomplishment. Think of 1968, not 1969.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • saztastic2012
I think with the additions to the pen they are alot closer then that, There is a difference between conten ding with a make shift OF and pen and being a contender every year with a solid pen and fixed OF.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • Kranesback

"Point is Dickey's 20 wins will be made up for."

How so?

• Reply to this Message