• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• They Can't Just Decide To Let Johan Get Away
  • 11/8/12
  • murphstates
No need to worry, if he goes 20-9 his 2014 option will kick in for $25 million.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • almandareo357
We all love Johan, but he is done.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • renafan
What if he wins the cy young again.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545217.6 was deleted
  • 11/8/12
  • Remember86
I'm a big Johan Santana fan. I don't have a crystal ball. But based on all the injury issues he's had the past few seasons, it would incredibly incredibly surprising if he won 15 games, let alone 20. Johan is no longer an ace pitcher. Maybe, he'll be our number four IF he can make it through the season. When his contract is up, they need to thank him for his time here and say goodbye.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • 86kid

>>>"This has got to be a joke post. Johan Santana is one of the worst signings in the history of a team that has had plenty of awful signings. His career is over and has been since '08. Move on."<<<

I don't see it as being one of the worst signing.

*2008: ERA 2.53 16-7 34 starts WHIP 1.148
.... and he would have won the CY Young if he had gotten any kind of support from the offense and bullpen. He actually was better than Lincincum in a number of the major catagories as I recall - expect wins.

*2009: ERA 3.13 13-9 25 starts WHIP 1.212
....again, no support from the pen or offense.

*2010: ERA 2.98 11-9 29 starts WHIP 1.176
....again, no support from the pen or offense.

*2011: OUT FOR THE SEASON

*2012: ERA 3.24 (First Half /17 Starts ), ERA 16.33 (Second Half /4 Starts)
..... clearly arm fatigue after a year off and operations finally caught up to him.

SSure, the contract hasn't been all we would have hoped for, but when Johan has been healthly and on the mound, he has produced.

It is certainly time for him to go, and I am not saying it is not, but to he's been one of the worst contract ever doesn't seem right to me.

If he has a good first half, then we still have a good chance to get so very good prospects for him. We will need to eat money, but it is not like you can place in in the sentence as Bay, Bonilla, Cedeno, Perez...etc

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • metsicle

If he's having an ace type of season, and the Mets are a non contender, then they'll probably trade him.

If he's having an ace season & the Mets are contending, and he remains healthy, then they might entertain the thought of a 3 year deal. not more though.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • 86kid

>>>"If he's having an ace season & the Mets are contending, and he remains healthy, then they might entertain the thought of a 3 year deal. not more though."<<<

Regardless of what Johan does this year, he won't be in a Mets uniform in 2014. You can't honestly believe that Sandy would give him a 3 year extension can you ? There is no way in h*ll that is happening.

Edited 11/8/12   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • murphstates
If he throws 215 innings his option converts, but I agree with you there is no way he's on the team in 2014. Unless he has an "ace" season which could prove to be a disaster because if he somehow reaches that option at $25 million it sets back any financial flexibility another season.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • TheChosen1
If Johan has a Cy Young type season, that would be good for us. The option would become his, which I bet he would decline for a multi year deal elsewhere, which would also forfeit the $5.5M buyout.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • murphstates
You think he'd decline $25 million? I have a hard time seeing that.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • 86kid

>>>"If he throws 215 innings his option converts, but I agree with you there is no way he's on the team in 2014. Unless he has an "ace" season which could prove to be a disaster because if he somehow reaches that option at $25 million it sets back any financial flexibility another season."<<<

I don't foresee him ptiching 215 inning, and even if by some mircle he did, I doubt he'd still be here when he reached that mark.

But even if he did reach it here, and we keep him here all season, I don't see that as an unsurmountable wall to still trading him next off-season. He'd be owed another $25 million, but coming off a good season like that, we could merely eat a big chunck of the 25 million and still move him.

We were going to have to eat money no matter whether we move him in July, or next off-season if his option kicks in. If can deal him in July, we will most likely have to eat most of his remain contract for the 2nd half of the season anyway - including the buyout of 2014.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • metsicle

Depending on what he wants, they might be interested in signing him for 2 or 3 years & then trading him during 2014.

But the only way I see them even thinking about bringing him back is if he has the ace like season the OP describes. Personally I don't see that happening. The way I see it, if Johan can give us 20 starts, with 12 of them being quality, then we should consider it a plus. He's an injury prone #4 at this point in his career.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • renafan
They are alot closer to winning then people want to give them credit for. I don't know about a 3 year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 11/8/12
  • renafan
That's the thing nobody knows. Nobody can say he will get hurt or he'll win 24 games. Who would have thought Bay would jave stunk that much. Thewy just can't decide right now he is done.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • metsicle

because if he somehow reaches that option at $25 million it sets back any financial flexibility another season.

----------------

I'm not so sure about that? Oh sure it would be better without his 25 million, but even if it vests (and the Mets won't let it, but let's say it does) then they still have financial flexibility for the 2013-14 offseason.

Wright at presumably 18 million. Dickey possibly at 12 million. Niese at 5 million. a few million for Bonilla & Bay (lol & ugh) and arbitration eligible players like Murphy, Davis & Parnell who will probably make a combined 7 million. then guys like Tejada, Gee, Harvey, Wheeler, etc who are making close to the minimum.

I'm guessing and saying those commitments are around 72 million. They can do some damage with 25-30 million to spend in 1 off season. again, not that I want to give Santana 25 million in 2014, but it doesn't kill them as much as you'd think.

Edited 11/8/12   by  metsicle
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • 86kid
Sure it will be a plus if he has an ace like season. His trade value will be good. But I still don't think there is anyway in the world they will offer him another contract.

Edited 11/8/12   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/9/12
  • ExileMetsFan

"His career is over and has been since '08. Move on. "

His numbers in 2009 and 2010 were very good. He missed some games, sure. But worst ever?

That's ludicrous

• Reply to this Message
Messages 545217.21 through 545217.22 were deleted