• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Mets trying to get MLB to grant them a protected draft pick
  • 1/24/13
  • robrock30
They are a day late & $ short as usual. Where was the Harvard boy months ago with this rule protest?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • 4545_ajd

"To put on a show. To make it look good. Just like their non-offer to Reyes."

Except their non offer to Reyes was the exact opposite of what you are saying. If they wanted to put on a show they would have made him an offer they knew he would refuse. Awful Example.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • archgraham
I didn't realize that was the rule. Can a team like the Astros just let their first rounder go for 2 or 3 years of weak drafts waiting for a Harper and a Strasberg to come along and then grab the top 3 picks in the first round? That is a pathetic rule. With a weak draft coming up, can the Pirates just let it slide one more time?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • Oldfan

<<"I find it a bit stupid for a team who didn't sign their draft pick to be allowed to draft in the same spot for the following season. "

That doesn't bother me, but any do-over picks should not have any impact on the 10 worst teams. It seems the rule was imposed to give the 10 worst team a further competitive advantage in free agency, especially since their higher picks are more valuable than those from already good teams who draft in the 20's. I think in the fair interest of the rules' intention, the Mets 11th pick should be protected.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • piazza5715
Signing Bourn would be a bad move for the Mets. Not only would they lose their #11 pick but time they're ready to compete Bourn will be 32-33 years old.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • Oldfan

Isn't Bourn the same age as Wright and likely to sign a shorter contract (maybe 4 years)?

At some point, the Mets are going to need to acquire good OFers and there aren't many of them in the system?

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/24/13
  • DFAB
If somehow the Mets can get their pick protected (maybe selig's love for fred can actually benefit the FANS this time) then they would have NO excuse not to sign Bourn. I just hope that if they actually get their pick protected, that they just offer him 2/18m and say "well we tried!"
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • hlandrith

>> Why would they be fighting for this if they don't plan on taking advantage of it? >>

Goop point. And I think the target is Lohse, BTW, not Bourn.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • DFAB
Lohse?? I didn't even know he costed a draft pick. If he does cost a draft pick then I agree...HE would be the target....not Bourn. I don't get that though...just sign Chris Young PLUS Marcum/Jurrjens to strengthen the rotation. If the Mets get their pick protected, Bourn is the one they should sign.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/24/13
  • 4545_ajd

" Can a team like the Astros just let their first rounder go for 2 or 3 years of weak drafts waiting for a Harper and a Strasberg to come along and then grab the top 3 picks in the first round?"

You can only not sign a pick once, If Pittsburgh fails to use that comp pick this year they will lose it.

• Reply to this Message