Angels

Welcome to the Angels.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Guess the PTBNL
  • To:All
  • 8/29/09
  • fa10years

banter wrote:

"I noticed Matt Brown hasn't played the last 2 nights. If he's not in the lineup tonight then I'm going to find that very interesting unless he's nursing an injury."

Okay, I checked with Salt Lake was told he was given a couple nights off, no particular reason.

But here's something to consider ... Players have to pass through waivers to be traded, right? But does that apply only to players on the 25-man or does it apply to players on the 40-man roster?

Brown is on the 40-man roster. So if it applies to him, then maybe they're waiting for him to clear waivers. Just idle speculation. Torres and Sweeney were not on the 40.

Stephen
FutureAngels.com

• Reply to this Message
  • 8/29/09
  • banter
My understanding is that anyone on the 40 has to go through waivers 1st in order to be traded. And that to clear waivers takes 48 hours.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/29/09
  • standfan

Well, I'm still happy about getting another needed starter and that great win last night. Our only hole seems to be relief but with a team that can seemingly put up 10 runs at will, who knows what'll happen in the play-offs?

As for the player to be named, no idea. Does TB need a catcher? navarro seems off this year and we have a lot of catchers( I'm not talking mathis nor napoli ). maybe Wood will go...hee hee.

• Reply to this Message
  • 8/29/09
  • fa10years

Matt Brown is in the starting lineup tonight, along with the other suspects -- Brandon Wood, Sean Rodriguez, Terry Evans, Bobby Wilson, etc.

I'm starting to come around to the theory that it might be Scot Shields. But we'll see.

Stephen
FutureAngels.com

• Reply to this Message
  • 8/29/09
  • ArtesKoolAid
Rumor going around its Jordan Walden. He hasnt pitched since july 13 and he isnt listed on the Arkansas list anymore.

Edited 8/29/09   by  ArtesKoolAid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/29/09
  • laaofaofca
I'm beginning to suspect that we severely over paid here. Sweeney is solid,, but Torres is an awesome young lefty, we're taking 8 million off their payroll which definetely counts for something. And if we end up sending Trumbo or Walden over, then we totally got bent over. Trumbo's going to be a legit 1B or DH eventually, in the .250 30+ HR type, and combining Walden and Torres, it's possible that one or both of them will end up being as good as Kaz.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/29/09
  • nuclearhendrix

Sweeney would have been blocked by Wood or Figgins anyways.

The DH spot is either Vlad or Napoli's for the next few years. So I don't see where Trumbo fits in here..He definitely ain't gonna be replacing Morales at 1B.

With the way this organization pumps out quality pitchers, I'm not worried about losing Torres or Walden. We still got Reckling anyways, I think he's going to be the best of the bunch. We'll still have a rotation of Kazmir, Weaver, Santana, Saunders, and possibly Lackey for a few more years too.

• Reply to this Message
  • 8/29/09
  • WSRing

Well put Jimi!

If we hadn't made the trade, then people would be screaming about no trades
being made, and we hang onto prospects too long.

• Reply to this Message
  • 8/30/09
  • laaofaofca

Yeah that's fine dealing Sweeney. He's good but he wouldn't be doing too much for our team. Sending Torres hurts, because he's awesome, but that's the price of premium talent like Kazmir. But also taking on Kaz's contract and sending Walden would hurt way too much. As far as stuff goes, Walden's got the best in our system. Sending him and Torres over would definitely hurt us bad. Because Reckling's good, but let's consider that Lackey might be gone after this year, Weaver's gonna start seeing arbitraion soona nd could get really expensive, we may not want to pay that, not with boras as his agent.

And who to we have in case of injury? Trevor Bell's not really a good option. Sean O'Sullivan isn't worthy of AAA let alone the bigs. Walden and Torres would be gone. Smith, Chaffee and Chatwood are still years away. Literally all we would have left is Reckling.

As far as I'm concerned, send Scot Shields. DO NOT SEND Walden or Trumboo.

• Reply to this Message
  • 8/30/09
  • halofanboy
I think we got a great deal for Kazmir. Consider this, Kazmir was what? 20 years old when he started his big league career. Torres is 22 and has only this season to point to. What ever you think of Torres, you can't deny Kazmir is already miles ahead of most pitchers. We got him at a great year, not a lot of teams trade away 25 year old pitchers of his caliber. I don't think he's even reached his prime yet, and for that, I think trading Torres away was well worth it. I think Torres would have made Stephen's top ten list, but if that's the only prime prospect we give away, the trade becomes a steal.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/30/09
  • fa10years

VladsGimpKnee wrote:

"Rumor going around its Jordan Walden. He hasnt pitched since july 13 and he isnt listed on the Arkansas list anymore. "

As I wrote yesterday, that's because he's been on the Tempe roster since August 16. He's on a rehab assignment for a forearm injury.

Stephen
FutureAngels.com

• Reply to this Message
  • 8/30/09
  • Mike E
Jepsen
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/30/09
  • ap218

rays fan here

i've scoured your 40 man roster and minor leagues trying to figure out who maddon says he will be excited to have on our club.
i've read your comments on this thread to see who you think will be the ptbnl.

my guess
maddon knows your system well
i don't think it will be a pitcher
my candidates are;
brandon wood - great aaaa player,lays an egg everytime he comes to majors
sean rodriquez - to succede aki after next year.my money is this option
trumbo - pena is due for 10+ million next year in final year of contract.my second option.
kendricks - total long shot.thought he might have been traded prior to july 31 then he started hitting.aki successor.

maddon has seen all 4 of these players enter your system while he was still with you.

• Reply to this Message
  • 8/30/09
  • charlesangels

"maddon knows your system well"

No doubt about that. Just like we had the advantage that Butcher knew Kazmir BEFORE whoever your pitching coach is, messed him up.

"i don't think it will be a pitcher"

Interesting.

"my candidates are;
brandon wood - great aaaa player,lays an egg everytime he comes to majors"

Don't think so. The Angels need him as insurance for Figgins leaving as a free-agent. And, Figgins is now backing off his desire to play 3B to go wherever he goes. It might be that he's willing to move to LF, so the Angels can put Wood at 3B, and he can stay with the Angels.

"sean rodriquez - to succede aki after next year.my money is this option"

Possibly, and he's an awesome talent. But, I'm thinking Wood & S-Rod will be on the Angels 25-man roster in 2010. If the Angels can trade GMJ in the off-season, the Angels will need S-Rod to back up CF.

"trumbo - pena is due for 10+ million next year in final year of contract.my second option."

Over-rated. I hope, for the sake of the Rays, and for the sake of the Rays beating the Red Sox & Yankees, that it isn't Trumbo.

"kendrick - total long shot.thought he might have been traded prior to july 31 then he started hitting.aki successor."

I suggested trading him to the Rays for Sonnanstine or Kazmir, so I wouldn't be opposed to that deal. But, the Aybar/Izturis/Kendrick 2B/SS platoon is working so well, I'm not sure that would be good for the Angels, now. Besides, you have Iwamura back, and Zobrist can play secondbase, too.

Will be interesting to see who, though. I know, because of the Angels fans love for Maddon, they are really happy to have the deal help the Angels AND Rays!

"maddon has seen all 4 of these players enter your system while he was still with you."

We shall see. We shall see.

Edited 8/30/09   by  charlesangels
Edited 8/30/09   by  charlesangels
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/30/09
  • banter

All the guys you list are still playing. As somebody pointed out in this thread that puts them at risk of injury so I kind of doubt any of them are the one.

Also, all are on the 40 and are expected to be called up in a few days. My understanding is once they are then they cannot be traded to another American League (maybe even MLB) team as a PTBNL.

• Reply to this Message
  • 8/30/09
  • ap218

i agree kasmir back with butcher will be good for you.
i think kasmir had no confidence in our pitching coach.(hickey)
anytime kasmir pitched i thought something special MIGHT happen.

the reason kasmir got trade in my opinion
not because of money!IF he was elite he wouldn't be leaving.
he is leaving BECAUSE he couldn't go deep in games.
he taxes bullpens.

how deep he goes in your games is how you should evaluate this trade.
if he goes deep that means his ceiling is still high.
if he doesn't go deep means he maybe has hit his ceiling.

why i think it is rodriquez
your manager and ours like players who are interchangeable.
your mix is aybar,isturis,kendrick,wood,figgins and rodriquez.
figgins is your wild card.(free agency)
ours is zobrist,aybar and aki.

my order
rodriquez
wood
trumbo
kendrick - long shot.

• Reply to this Message
  • 8/30/09
  • laaofaofca

Sorry Rays fan, but you're more than likely way off. The Angels have taken on Kaz's salary, gave up a premium lefty prospect as well as a good 3B prospect already. I'd call it about even right there. There's no way the Angels would be bent over by the rays like that, not gonna happen.

You're not getting Walden, or Reckling, or Wood or Rodriguez, those are our premier prospects and there's just no way we'll hand them over in conjunction with over paying Kaz, giving up Torres AND giving up Sweeney. That's just not the way it works.

You guys will get a decent player we just can't use. That leaves your choice with catcher Bobby Wilson, OF Reggie Willits, OF Terry Evans or a selection of relief pitchers that includes Rich Thompson, Rafael Rodriguez, Robert Mosebach etc.

Trumbo and Kendrick are off limits as well. Trumbo's our only 1B with a shade of promise on the farm and Kendrick wasn't traded for Miguel Cabrera, we wouldn't trade him for Scott Kazmir.

More than likely, you guys will be getting Rafael Rodriguez once this season is over and Scot Shields is off the DL.

• Reply to this Message
  • 9/1/09
  • ap218

make my day!

give us sean rodriquez

• Reply to this Message
  • 9/1/09
  • ap218

i figured it out.

my guess was correct.

i'm o.k. with the trade now.

• Reply to this Message
  • 9/1/09
  • lightitupbaby
You nailed it, man! Long before anyone else! Guess it helps knowing your needs.
  • Reply to this Message