• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• LOL! Fox News does it again!
  • 2/12/13
  • Caughtlk'n
I'll give you a point...We lived in Germany for 3 years with the U.S. Air Force. The sun shines like two weeks a year..in July. Apparently all that reserch that reporter did was Faux as Faux News!

Edited 2/12/13   by  Caughtlk'n
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • texccandaj
Well there is a reason why people that watch faux news are lessinformed then those who don't watch the news at all.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • reinman43
Nothing beats that rag of a station MSNBC, Hardball with Chris Matthews he is the biggest joke out there, Al Sharpton is a close 2nd. Whenever I turn to MSNBC just to see what is going on, there is usually a panel of liberals praising Obama and shredding the G.O.P. That station should be called OBAMAISGREAT lol, lol, lol.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • texccandaj

by chris irvine

A study conducted by Fairleigh Dickinson University in Madison, New Jersey, found that the average American was able to correctly answer 1.8 out of four questions on international news and 1.6 out of five on domestic.

Fox News followers however only answered 1.04 domestic questions correctly, which is worse than those who said they watched no media at all – which stood at 1.22.

The study, which surveyed 1,185 people, found that in comparison, those who listened to National Public Radio fared best, answering 1.51 questions correctly, while those watching The Daily Show, which mixes current affairs with humour, scored 1.42.

"These differences may be small, but even small differences are important when we're talking about millions of people," said Dan Cassino, political scientist and poll analyst. "We expect that watching the news should help people learn, but the most popular of the national media sources – Fox, CNN, MSNBC – seem to be the least informative."

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • hlandrith

Regardless of how many questions they get “right,” I have to believe that anyone who pays any attention to Chris Irvine (whoever he is) is informed at all.

So the “most informed” subgroup (NPR listeners) scores on average of 1.51/5.0 in this survey, while the “average American” scores 1.6/5.0? Since all the other groups mentioned score worse, just who brings the average up?

There is no meaning in the sentences Mr. Irvine has strung together or in this post. NPR listener here BTW.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • gilforhof
Seems to me, most people surveyed are pretty much idiots.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/13/13
  • hlandrith

Pretty much.

And I've wasted too much time trying to get my head around "These differences may be small, but even small differences are important when we're talking about millions of people."

Articles like this are responsible for the illiteracy that abounds.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/13/13
  • gilforhof

Very true. Thats one reason in most conversations I have, I speak at the level of the listener. And thats a shame really. I don't consider myself any sort of intellectual, but I do consider myself fairly well versed on most subjects.

Over the decades, pollsters or "survey takers" have asked college students the question ... "Who is the Vice President of the US?" Usually 50% or more got it wrong. When asked "Who is Joe Biden" or whoever the VP was at the time, answers ranged from rock guitarists to football players to fill in the blank with anything except VP of the US. Not a pretty picture. Not even going into someof the very simple (I think) questions asked. A sad state of affairs.

• Reply to this Message