• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• VIDEO CHAT WITH ALDERSON Today at 1pm
  • 2/7/13
  • metsheart
from your post #12:
"Sandy said was when asked about Wheeler is that he said he had only seen him pitch a couple of times and looks forward to seeing him pitch in ST"

Alderson said he saw Wheeler pitch A COUPLE OF TIMES. Not that he's NEVER seen him pitch in person.

Edited 2/7/13   by  metsheart
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • robrock30

He said that he had only seen Wheeler pitch a couple of times except for video which I found to be surprising considering his projected future value.

Wheeler has been in the Met org since July 11, 2011 to have only seen him pitch a couple of times seemed shockingly detached from his development IMO.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • metsheart
"Wheeler has been in the Met org since July 11, 2011 to have only seen him pitch a couple of times seemed shockingly detached from his development IMO"

Wheeler's been in Mets oragnization for just 2 months in 2011 & only 1 whole season in 2012. How many times SHOULD the GM have seen him pitch? At which minor league levels?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • robrock30

Are you Sandy's PR guy? Why are you so quick to defend this?

I would think it reasonable for the GM of the Mets who is promoting his improving of the Met farm system to have seen the org.'s top pitching prospect in 1.5 seasons including a Spring Training with the org. more than a couple of times. Sandy just admitted to Mets nation how hands off a GM he really is and how detached he really is from player development. His role seems to be to deliver spin.

If you had watched the Video Chat he talked about himself, his dog, his teaching at Berkeley more than he did about the Mets players, the direction of the team, and any pending deals to improve the on field product.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • robrock30

By the way I do agree with you about Omar Minaya.

The common denominator is the ownership that tolerates this from the FO.

Other organizations that are successful have ownership that demands more from the FO and has more respect for their fanbase.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • mobeen

Honestly, he is a GM of an organization and Wheeler might be an important cog in the organization, but I would not be down on Sandy for seeing Wheeler only a couple of times. That's why he has bunch of people working under him to update on key players.

I can blame or be down on Sandy for plenty of other things, but this is not one of it. Look at it this way, Sandy is probably going to retire soon, he is collecting a nice paycheck, he knows that there is no money to spend and he has ABSOLUTELY nothing to prove. Even if he goes somewhere else after the Mets, the whole world knows that the Wilpon's have no money to spend and they will not be judging Sandy with his body of work with the Mets.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • JoseJose
Lots of ifs there. And we have not been into deadline deals for years. I like the Marcum signing.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • JoseJose

"His role seems to be to deliver spin."

Exactly. We get more and more data to support that as time goes on.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • 4545_ajd

"If you had watched the Video Chat he talked about himself, his dog, his teaching at Berkeley more than he did about the Mets players, the direction of the team, and any pending deals to improve the on field product."

Those were the questions he was asked about. He didn't pick the questions.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • JoseJose
Great points on Omar. Sounds like you has lobby for his job.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • robrock30

I respect your opinion which you have stated well.

Wheeler is Sandy's main cog though. Wheeler & TDA more recently are his 2 ML ready guys.

I listen to other GM's like Brian Cashman who until recently was held more accountable by ownership.
They get results.

If I were the Met owner, I am sorry but Omar Minaya would not have been extended after the back to back chokes in 07 & 08, and Sandy with this attitude and past 2 off-seasons would be out too.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • JoseJose

"going to retire soon, he is collecting a nice paycheck, ...has ABSOLUTELY nothing to prove,...will not be judging Sandy with his body of work with the Mets"

Sounds like a nightmare GM situation (for fans), if team success is important.

Edited 2/7/13   by  JoseJose
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • robrock30

The appearance is that all he is here to do reduce payroll, be personable, and spin to the media and fanbase in order to sell tickets.

He just admitted in the video chat that he has only seen Wheeler pitch a couple of times. Wheeler is his major piece that is the centerpiece of his projected rotation to rival the San Fran. model.

How depressing that he is not at all sincerely committed to anything. I don't buy what he is selling.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • mobeen

I can understand your qualm about Minaya exceeding his stay. But that's on the ownership.

As for Sandy, if you add up things that the ownership wanted from him:

1. Reduce payroll - Check
2. Don't spend any money - Check
3. Acquire enough talent through drafts and trades to keep the team afloat - Check
4. Stabilize the organization after the whole scam - Check
5. Keep most of the fans remotely interested - Check

The deliverable s for Minaya and Sandy were completely different. Minaya made the splash and dash signings to put the Mets back on the map. It back fired in 2008 and 2009 and Sandy was hired to do the above things.

The cutting of Castillo, Bay was probably a PR move that Sandy convinced the Wilpon's. It helped save some face. The signing of Wheeler and D'Arnaud has helped in maintaining some fan interest.

It would be extremely hard for a GM to go above and beyond the call of duty, when he knows that there is no money to spend and he can't even justify to the owners on signing a draft pick over slot money.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • metsheart
"the GM of the Mets who is promoting his improving of the Met farm system to have seen the org.'s top pitching prospect in 1.5 seasons including a Spring Training with the org. more than a couple of times"

Not "defending" anything. Asking AGAIN -- How many times should the GM have seen a prospect pitch in the minors in 1 complete season + 2 months? How many SPECIFICALLY is "more than a couple of times"?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • metsheart

"By the way I do agree with you about Omar Minaya.

The common denominator is the ownership that tolerates this from the FO"

What is FO "tolerating" w/ Alderson?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • metsheart
"Great points on Omar. Sounds like you has lobby for his job."

Sounds like you has no point whatsoever.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • robrock30

Sandy has not done enough with respect to the on field product, has not constructed a master plan and has made many errors.

2013 will be his undoing and the fanbase & media will turn on him.

The organization will sink further into a black hole of irrelevance & financial red ink.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • robrock30

If I were the GM, I would have seen him before trading Beltran for him, then once more in 2011.

I would have watched him in Spring Training, I would have had meetings with the scouts and coaches concerning his development, getting input into what he needed to improve to be fully developed.

I would have charted his progress, watching him at AA and in AAA last year.

I would have seen him a minimum of half a dozen times.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/7/13
  • metsheart
"If I were the GM, I would have seen him before trading Beltran for him, then once more in 2011"

"I would have watched him in Spring Training"

How do you know Alderson DIDN'T see Wheeler at least once last ST?

Wheeler's progress was charted all along the way by scouts who report to Alderson.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I would have seen him a minimum of half a dozen times."

How many MLB teams you ever work for? Ever been a scout? Ever been a GM? Even of a minor league team?

And how do you know 6X isn't Alderson's definition of "a couple of times"???
  • Reply to this Message