• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• d'Arnaud has been babied his whole career.
  • 12/19/12
  • spydermet
Possible, but a little too optimistic in my opinion, considering that he was on a strict pitch count in Low A ball. He's going to need time to build up to pitching a full season.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • Gepett0

yeah but really hes on a very similar projection to wheeler

wheeler threw 59 innings in 2010, 115 in 2011, 150 in 2012, and will likely be permitted to throw about 180 this year b/t AAA and the majors

syndergaard threw 59 in 2011, & 103 last year...i mean, if you really follow the example of wheeler, he could theoretically pitch as early as early-mid 2014 if they really want to keep him out of vegas (assuming we are stuck there) though I highly doubt that they would do that (nor should they)

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • spydermet
I'm not convinced that Wheeler is all that either. In 3 yrs of A Ball, he has mid 3.00 ERAs and high WHIPS in 2 out of the 3 yrs. That is the problem with potential; it doesn't always come to fruition. I don't doubt the abilities of Wheeler TDA or Syndergraad, but there are signs that each might not live up to expectations. I am hoping for the best, but also preparing to deal with the worst, should that be the case.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • Gepett0

his whip was high b/c of walks, which has become less of a problem for him

the guy routinely strikes out 1+ batters per inning and doesnt surrender hits...he has certainly not disappointed thus far

there is a reason that hes going to be rated as a top prospect this yeear

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • spydermet
I did say that I don't doubt his potential. I admit that the talent is there. I also know that doesn't always mean that they realize that potential. I do hope that he pans out. I'm just not willing to call him a sure thing at this point.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • PrayedforBay
Yea but wouldn't we just sign him to a friendly contract anyway if we liked him. We've done that with Reyes, Wright, Niese... right?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • spydermet
We could have signed him to a $26 mil/ 2 yr contract without a no-trade clause instead of lowballing him. It was insulting to both Dickey and Mets fans, and no way to thank Dickey for for his contributions to this team.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • PrayedforBay
What are you talking about? The conversation is about D'Arnaud.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • Oldfan

<<"Braves didn't do it with Heyward. Sometimes you just have to break camp with your future. "

The Angels sent Trout down to start the year and the Nats sent Harper down. Both players won Rookie of the Year. It's a long season and at some point things always come down to money.

When Heyward played all season, the Braves situation was completely different than the Mets. The Braves were competing for a playoff position, the Mets are not. If Heyward influenced 2-3 games during the month, it could have been a difference maker - playoff appearances mean big money, so once again, it probably comes down to money.

If d'Arnaud is responsible for 2-3 extra wins for the Mets in April/early May, what does that mean? 77 wins vs 74 wins?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • wildwin77
I would be shocked if he started the season with the team..with the way finances are for this team, there is no way they can risk losing that extra year on their new stud for no real reason. Just no justification for it at all.
  • Reply to this Message