Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Mets trade Jefry Marte for Collin Cowgill of A's
  • 12/18/12
  • AdrianMonk

Nooooooooooooooo! Not Jeffy!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • murphstates

Super and without calculating the exact numbers as a CF platoon in 1986 Wilson and Dykstra hit over .300 with 15 HRs, 70 RBIs, more than 50 stolen bases and OPS around .900.

You think Kirk and Cowgill are going to produce better numbers than that?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • metsheart
Don't know. My crystal ball's in the shop. Just saying platoons can be very effective.

What I DO know is Kirk/ Cowgill will look like SUPERSTARS compared to Bay & Torres!!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • murphstates

You said this:

"Don't just dismiss a possible platoon. Platoons can be very effective. Mookie & Lenny in CF in 1986 worked out very well. So did Teufel & Backman at 2B. Kirk & Cowgill could be just as good. Maybe better."

That is a statement with no basis in reality.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • nvmets10
I certainly hope this was not the person Puma referred to with the "name that hasn't been linked to the Mets" tweet. Nobody would ever be linked to a name like this because it's so darn insignificant.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • metsheart
You KNOW for a FACT Kirk/ Cowgill WON'T be as good a platoon as Mookie/ Lenny??? Or MAYBE better??

Talk about a statement with NO basis in reality!!!!

Edited 12/18/12   by  metsheart
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • murphstates
Yeah, and Mike Nickeas might win the triple crown this year. There's as much evidence for that as Kirk/Cowgill producing Wilson/Dykstra numbers.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • AdrianMonk

This is a typical Sandy move to provide Triple A depth. This year's version of Adam Loewen or Fred Lewis.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/18/12
  • _BigNick
Nice little move. Marte is realistically going nowhere and Cowgill has some nice minor league numbers, and at the very least provides depth for a weak OF. Totally some upside to this.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • bbjmparis
lol...Is this the OF help SA was promising? Well, at least we didn't give up Niese to get him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • metsheart
Never said they'd DEFINITLEY produce Mookie/ Lenny #'s!! Said platoon can be very effective. And said MAYBE they'd be better. As in "I don't know how good they might turn out to be."

So now you can argue WITH YOURSELF about whether Kirk/ Cowgill will be as good as (or MAYBE better) than Mookie/ Lenny!!! I'm not arguing the point. And NEVER WAS!!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • wildwin77

Solid move here. Cowgill had two great years in the minors in 2010 and 2011. At the very least, he's a fourth outfielder option or off the bench..at the best, he lives up to his potential and becomes a decent to good baseball player, with speed and doubles to back up his average.

Marte, in the minors since 2008, was going no where. His numbers were seemingly identical to one another year after year, and he's blocked at first and third. The fact that anything could be gotten for him is positive.

So overall, a small move but a smart and decent one adding an outfielder when we need some.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • edmet
this is an incremental improvement, the Q is, whose job does he take: baxter,niewenhuiss or valdespin. i bet another trade is brewing.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • mcmet69
In 2011 he hit .354 in the PCL with 13 HR's, 70 RBI's and a .430 OBP in 395 at bats.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • jsmet
another mediocre strike out machine outfielder
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • Kranesback
That was not really a platoon. Mookie only started about 50 games in center that year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • alex8686
Good trade. We get a major league outfielder that can play CF for most likely a career minor leaguer that tops out at AAA.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • alex8686
Career .298/.379/.405 vs. LHP. Punishes LHP basically and will start against lefties for Duda.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • murphstates
I only used the center field numbers.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • murphstates
Really? We got a 26 year-old guy with a ceiling of a fourth outfielder for a 21 year-old who was on the Eastern League All-Star team last season.
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
fernando rodney
Latest by metsheart - 3:28 PM
Music Thread II
Latest by vbch - 3:28 PM
Tonight's Lineup
Latest by GoMets6986 - 3:26 PM
Cubs
Latest by metsheart - 3:22 PM
Musician Name Game
Latest by vbch - 3:21 PM