• Welcome Guest
San Francisco Giants

Welcome to the San Francisco Giants.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Buster's arbitration numbers
  • 1/18/13

"I'm thinking $105-110 over 6 seasons, buying out his first 2 years of FA.

It would be foolish for either side to commit to more than 6 years. Let the Giants wrap him up for the rest of his career with his next contract extension at age 32.

My guess is he won't be squatting behind the plate at that point."

Kind of where I'm thinking. 6 years is a good length of time and if he can stay healthy, he'll probably get another decent pay day at 32.

• Reply to this Message
Message 148468.26 was deleted
  • 1/18/13
Moot now. Buster and Giants agree on a one-year deal, per mlbtraderumors.com.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/18/13

Good to see arb being avoided on a one year agreement for $8m today.

Hopefully it's just a matter of time before something longer is agreed on.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13

I think this is an indication that the 2 sides were far apart.

While my guess is that the Giants had something closer to my 5/$73M estimate, Posey's agent might have $100M+ in mind.

All they need, as someone said, is one more year of good performance. It doesn't even have to be top-5 in MVP.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13

"Moot now. Buster and Giants agree on a one-year deal, per mlbtraderumors.com."

That doesn't make a long-term deal moot. In fact it gives them a starting point.

• Reply to this Message
Messages 148468.31 through 148468.32 were deleted
  • 1/18/13

"Hey, look at that, the GIANTS didn't feel they need to lock him up long term."

- "The Giants are expected to discuss an extension with Posey this winter, Schulman reported earlier in the week. Today's agreement won't prevent the sides from having discussions about a long-term deal. Instead, it provides a starting point for future negotiations."

Try again smart guy.

• Reply to this Message
Message 148468.34 was deleted
  • 1/18/13

"He's NOT a free agent so they DON'T need to lock him up."

You have it bACKaSSWORDS.

If they want to save money they will try hard to do it. Of course the player has to agree. But you'd know this already if you knew anything about the Arbitration process.

Why do you think teams normally don't sign young players long-term unless they are good? Why did they do that for Cain, and Bumgarner? Think for once...

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13

You still don't read too well. Try again...

"Today's agreement won't prevent the sides from having discussions about a long-term deal. Instead, it provides a starting point for future negotiations."

• Reply to this Message
Message 148468.37 was deleted
  • 1/18/13

I wasn't call it "moot" in terms of a possible extension. Just saying we'll never know what the arbitration figures exchanged were, the arguments for each side, who would win, etc.

But thank you for telling me something I knew (this is a starting point for a possible extension).

My take is that if the Giants were going to work out an extension with Posey, he's going to get at least $8MM this year (and obviously much more AAV overall), so it could very likely a show of good faith by Giants' management and a gesture that they know he'll get this much if/when an extension is worked out.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/18/13
Didn't we sign Cain to a one year deal and then extend him soon after? We still have a couple of years to talk this through with him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13

"Discussions",,, like a fart in the wind.

Because contract negotiations involve no discussion. Contracts are delivered by the stork in Scott Boras monogrammed blankets.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
You still can't argue with facts...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13

LetsGo just doesn't get that when you buy out Arbitration years, you save money. Going year by year for a player can get him bigger contracts, but it comes with a risk to the player of injury, or poor performance lowering his pay raises.

They bought out Cain starting in the 2007 season. They bought out Sandoval's final years. They just finished up buying out Bumgarner's plus some. They tried with Lincecum, but never got a deal done. That last one could be a blessing.

This genius is trying to argue teams don't want to do that. But in the real world, the last thing any team wants is to pay a good player year by year with the threat of an arbitration hearing.

Edited 1/18/13   by  RNO13Giants
  • Reply to this Message
Message 148468.43 was deleted
  • 1/18/13

You CAN argue with facts.

But it's a losing battle.

• Reply to this Message