• Welcome Guest
Angels

Welcome to the Angels.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• How about Abreu for Blanton?
  • 3/22/12
  • lightitupbaby

" I would trade Callaspo or Cantu for bullpen help. "

Callaspo and Cantu aren't in the same class. Callaspo actually has value. And I'm not trading Callaspo until it's proven there's another option for 3rd base.

Edited 3/22/2012 2:49 pm by lightitupbaby
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/22/12
  • Rongdoer
I put out the trash, but neglected to include all of this trash talk.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/22/12
  • LAA2WS2012

"Callaspo and Cantu aren't in the same class. Callaspo actually has value. And I'm not trading Callaspo until it's proven there's another option for 3rd base."

Don't you think Izzy is a proven option for 3rd?

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/22/12
  • lightitupbaby

The way I see it, Izzy is proven at three positions and backs them all up. He should and will get a lot of playing time in that role.

Callaspo is either our 3rd baseman or he's traded. Trumbo needs to prove he can play the position before Callaspo is moved though. If Callaspo is the 3rd baseman then Trumbo gets AB's as his back-up, Albert's back-up and corner outfield back-up.

Our current depth chart goes this same route.
http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/team/depth_chart/index.jsp?c_id=ana

What could change this depth chart is Trumbo earning 3rd all to himself.

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/22/12
  • LAA2WS2012
I like the depth that Izzy provides as a back up, but realistically, with Callaspo as starting third basemen and Trumbo getting time there as well, Izzy doesn't get many at-bats this year unless someone gets hurt. I think we could have Izzy get Callaspo-like starter at 3rd and still have him give rests to Howie and Aybar as needed (they could both play 150 easy) with Trumbo playing 3rd on days Izzy plays SS or 2B.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/22/12
  • metseffect
That pitching rotation would be unbelievable... as is is the halos have the best rotation in the AL
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/22/12
  • cuidado1
Trumbo could also platoon as a DH with Morales against LH pitching. Morales' numbers are much lower as a RH hitter and way less power.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/22/12
  • robrock30

Yes! I had the same thought since Kendrys' splits are much better from the left side.

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/22/12
  • pokerbrat

<They can't trade Callaspo, they will be without a 3rd basemen.>

Just trying to connect the dots via trade rumors..

<The Phillies could start the season with prospect Freddy Galvis at second base, or explore the trade market for alternatives. ESPN.com’s Buster Olney hears from rival executives that there’s a short list of veteran middle infielders available in trades. Maicer Izturis, Alberto Callaspo, Chris Getz and Blake DeWitt appear to be options for teams seeking infield depth.>

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/los_angeles_angels_of_anaheim/index.html

If the Angels decide to keep Callaspo and Izzy along with Trumbo getting 50 or so AB's @3B, Izzy ($3.8M, walk year), will be limited to backup duty behind Aybar and Kendrick.. Considering Aybar and Kendrick are "everyday" players that could potentially limit Izzy to approx. 20 starts this season.

You probably don't want to trade Izzy due to the fact he's the Angels best option to back up Aybar at S/S in case of injury..

If you trade Callaspo and project Trumbo for 50 or so games at 3B, you could probably get by at 3rd base with some combination of Trumbo, Izzy and Cantu with Izzy also backing up S/S and 2B with Amarista in reserve at Salt Lake..

IMO Trumbo is the key to everything.. If the Angels feel he's a reasonable option @3B this year, they will deal Callaspo...

< manager Mike Scioscia said there's no ceiling for the amount of time the young slugger spends at the hot corner. "If he takes this position and runs with it, who knows how many he's going to play?" Scioscia said. "I think he's shown enough that I think we're going to see him playing third base for us. To what extent? We don't know.>

http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120321&content_id=27487398&vkey=news_ana&c_id=ana

Edited 3/22/12   by  pokerbrat
Edited 3/22/12   by  pokerbrat
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/23/12
  • Angel_Graffiti

They don't feel he's a reasonable option and they know Izzy is not a full time player.

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/23/12
  • beeweezie

So Scioscia wasn't quoted as saying "He will be playing some third base for us. To what extent, we don't know"?

That tells me they think he is a reasonable option. If they didn't, he wouldn't play there...

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/23/12
  • Angeleer

I wouldn't be too concerned about what a manager says during Spring Training, he is just trying to appease some players concerns about what role they will have on the team. Wait until the games actually count and you will see the truth.

I mean seriously, do you really think Abreu is going to get 400-500 ABs? Yet Scioscia said it.

I think Trumbo will be slipped into a few games at third, mainly to get his bat in the order and to give Callaspo a day off. The same thing will happen with Morales and Pujols, and possibly the corner OF positions, but make no mistake, Trumbo is a backup at every position he plays at for the Angels.

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/23/12
  • saylo
I rather go for the LHP of the Nationals than Blanton.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/23/12
  • beeweezie

Abreu's playing time is a concern for Abreu. Trumbo's playing time is a concern for the team, IMO anyway.

I think those are 2 different situations.

Trumbo grew up local, loves the Angels, and told the team whatever they want he will do it (or at least try). He doesn't care where he plays, he just wants to help the team.

Abreu wants to play, no matter how much it might hurt the team for him to take someone elses glove/bat for a couple days a week...

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/23/12
  • Angel_Graffiti
If Trumbo wants to help the team, he should learn to lay off pitches a foot out of the zone.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/23/12
  • pokerbrat

< they know Izzy is not a full time player >

No, you can't count on Izzy playing everyday, but he has the potential to play 100-120 games or so.

<They don't feel he's a reasonable option>

I used to think that, but I'm not so sure now..

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/23/12
  • pokerbrat

<I mean seriously, do you really think Abreu is going to get 400-500 ABs? Yet Scioscia said it.>

If Abreu had given the Angels any hope that he could still hit this Spring I think 400 plate appearances were possible as a reserve corner outfielder due to the fact Hunter and Wells could use 25-35 off days this season. PB will also need multiple days off this season, due to his chronic hip issues.

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/23/12
  • Angeleer
I think those ABs were going to Trumbo regardless of the 3B experiment, and I don't see where anything has changed that.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/23/12
  • pokerbrat
IMO we would be seeing Trumbo getting playing time in the outfield this Spring if that were the case
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
What's your name?
Latest by Bozeman - 2:00 AM
Why I prefer Conger.
Latest by club13 - 1:37 AM
Aybar hitting 5th?
Latest by firems - 1:33 AM
Another bad trade rears it's ugly head
Latest by firems - 1:30 AM
Trumbo has stress fracture in foot
Latest by caangels72 - 1:04 AM
How is Freese looking?
Latest by KennedyHits3 - 1:03 AM
Minor League Updates
Latest by ElHombre5IsBack - 12:50 AM
Pujols leading MLB in home runs
Latest by dtwncbad - 12:11 AM
Why won't Scioscia call Frieri the closer?
Latest by iemonkey - Apr-24
Mike Scioscia is heartless
Latest by halodice2 - Apr-24