• Welcome Guest
Pittsburgh Pirates

Welcome to the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• morgan for milledge
  • 6/29/09
  • gorillagogo

>> But,you still think the trade should be made,what do you do with Tabata,Hernandez,what if Alvarez isn't able to play 3rd well enough.Should Pearce get more playing time,how about Moss,Young. <<

I think that's the exact type of thinking that DL used when he didn't trade for Ryan Howard because the Bucs already had Brad Eldred.

• Reply to this Message
  • 6/29/09
  • rhobbs9

A team and organization that has been as bad as this one should never be playing "what if" games in regards to guys who are in the minor leagues, AA no less. Some people wanted to kill Huntington for the McLouth trade because Hernandez was just a Morgan twin and now we can't make trades for outfielders because we have him? Steve Pearce has done nothing to be worth blocking any move.

Nyjer Morgan is not going to be good enough to be the starting outfielder on a division winning team. Milledge still has a chance to be.

• Reply to this Message
  • 6/29/09
  • dbl11s
Not really, last season in 587 PA's, 65 runs,14 Hrs,61RBIs,24SB,9CS,.261AVG and 731OPS.
Hardly the production everybody seems to think he had.For all his potential never seems to produce.
Are you still willing to take a chance on a possible headcase with this type of production?
Like I said,not really better than what's already here.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/29/09
  • ballhog143443
Again, a trade like this will help the Bucs. This would be selling on Morgon at his all time High. If you can get Milledge's head right you are way ahead. Even if u don't you are probably ahead. It makes me laugh when people allow their personal feelings for players cloud what makes the team/organization better. I would like to see one more player added. If not Stamen then maybe a Marcos Frias, Jeff Mandel or Bradley Myers. they are all pitchers in class A. I would also be happy with Catcher Derrick Norris, SS-Daniel Espinosa, OF Michael Burgess or second baseman Stephen Lombardozzi. Any of these prospects would be a nice add on with Milledge for Morgan. I would love to get either Mandel or Myers
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/29/09
  • dbl11s
Comparing apples to oranges DL was handcuffed by stupidity on more than just that occasion.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/29/09
  • gamcockfn
He ok'd the deal, but he did not require NH to do the trade or suggest it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/29/09
  • dbl11s
No Milledge won't be,if he was don't you think he'd be starting in Washington.
He's got a ton of potential,the difference between him and what the Bucs already have is,he already has over 1000 MLB PA's and has not produced.
His career OPS is exactly 4 count em 4 points higher than Morgan's,he is not worth the baggage that comes with him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/29/09
  • LetsGoBucs

Agreed. Make this trade. There is no way Morgan is ever going to be MORE than he is right now, hes at an all time high.

Our outfield prospects include Tabata, Hernandez, Cutch, Grossman. Out of these 4, realistically, the most that will be good major league players is 2 of 4. Thats a fact. Can't miss prospects miss 50% of the time, and Cutch is the only one who is can't miss status. On the off chance several of them pan out, you trade one to address other areas of need.

If this trade bombs, we lose a 4th outfielder, albeit a likeable one. Its a classic low risk high reward.

• Reply to this Message
  • 6/29/09
  • gamcockfn

Kovie,

I would think you would be for this trade, Milledge cost more than Morgan, and he is closer to arbitration.

• Reply to this Message
Message 53375.241 was deleted
  • 6/29/09
  • gamcockfn
I am not sure why people think Morgan is going to improve. Players rarely improve at his age, they usually have their best years between 27 and 33, which Morgan is halfway through already.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/29/09
  • dbl11s
I don't think Morgan is going to improve or regress,what you see is what you get.
However,I think some team out there can come up with something more promising than Milledge,
who should never be anything but a throw in until he proves otherwise.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 53375.244 was deleted
  • 6/29/09
  • Darrow06

Bones:

LOL! Great story.

• Reply to this Message
  • 6/29/09
  • nyjer3

No No No No - Morgan is going to improve , I'm telling you. Just look at how far he's come since the first time we saw him in Pittsburgh. I mean, granted, he was never as bad as Steve Peirce has been EVERY time he comes up here.

Nyjer's Up side is only furthered by the placement of McCutchen right infront of him. Somone whom pitchers ( A) have to legitimately pitch to, and (B) have to also keep a CLOSE eye on whilst on the base paths. With Morgan right behind him...Its like, it only gets better. Not to add MR. Sanchez behind them with his Solid Contact bat.

Milledge is kinda nuts, like his rapping .... Not hatin, just sayin.

How many home runs would Milledge hit as a bucco.... i'd say, ....5......maybe.

• Reply to this Message
  • 6/29/09
  • ballhog143443
YES, YES, YES. I do agree that Morgan may improve... Some. But not much, Milledge has a much higher ceiling. It is a move that we can afford to take the gamble on because Morgan is only a stopgap anyway until Tabata is ready. This deal again adds depth. And who knows, Milledge could put all that potential together and be a 5-tool superstar. I do love Morgan. But now is the best time to trade him and get the most back. Ask for Milledge and Myers or Mandel
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
PMB Stargell Stars
Latest by d0ck - 3:32 PM
Pirates have acquired Ike Davis
Latest by NuttingHostage - 3:21 PM
Why
Latest by lvbucsfan - 3:20 PM
2014 PMB Goat of the Game
Latest by Fundamentality - 3:15 PM
10th Annual PMB Prediction Contest
Latest by NuttingHostage - 3:04 PM