St. Louis Cardinals

Welcome to the St. Louis Cardinals.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• OT: RIP Junior Seau
Message 107809.23 was deleted
  • 1/10/13
  • Number_4
Well duh.
banging heads is good for mountain rams..not so much for people.
thats why we love football though..violence
  • Reply to this Message
Message 107809.25 was deleted
  • 1/10/13
  • Number_4

I dont care.
all of us who played the game understand full well it is extreemly harmfull
to your body.... and as a former linebacker...your head gets pounded.
im sure i have damage from concusions i had also...ive blacked out several times during games from hits

when football is not violent an life threatning..no one will watch.it anymore

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/10/13
  • danneau

I hear lot's of concern over NFL players but there are so many times more people out there who played peewee through high school or college or even made the NFL practice squad that have the same injuries.

And it's not just the concussions. It's the cumulative effect of hundreds or thousands of smaller hits. The kind that might occur 10 times every play.

I saw a story about another recent report that said that even with a clear CT scan, recently concussed people are prone to severe injury with only minor impacts for at least another week or so.

I'm afraid that CK is right, though. The only way to make football safe is to make it boring.

• Reply to this Message
Message 107809.28 was deleted
  • 1/10/13
  • Number_4
No one is impressed u came out.of the closet either
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/10/13
  • sobchaksecurity
the san diego union tribune had a long form piece about seau last summer. junior was always a different dude. what espn leaves out is all the drinking and pill popping seau did, even back to college.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/10/13
  • RealFacts
If guns were illegal he'd still be alive.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/11/13
  • sobchaksecurity
and then the nfl wouldn't have had an accomplice. i hope these 2,000 guys suing the nfl about concussions & cte realize that their entire medical history will be gone over with the finest toothed comb that can be found? those 2,000 better not have ever taken a drink or snorted a line or gone to the free clinic under an assumed name to have an std treated without his wife finding out. i'm also struggling to figure out how nfl owners from prior to the 1990s could have covered up concussion consequences that weren't known to any branch of medicine until the availability of hi-res digitial imaging equipment became widely available.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/11/13
  • danneau

"i'm also struggling to figure out how nfl owners from prior to the 1990s could have covered up concussion consequences that weren't known to any branch of medicine until the availability of hi-res digitial imaging equipment became widely available."

If they were unknown, how would the owners have known to cover them up?

I can see how that would make you struggle.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/11/13
  • sobchaksecurity
the former players are alleging the owners covered up the dangers of concussions in their law suit.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/11/13
  • danneau

I hear you and I see the problem they have.

I don't think they will have a hard time proving that the damage happens but proving that the owners knew it in the 1990's will be much, much harder given the absence of any tests capable of showing the damage.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/11/13
  • danneau

Even if they can't prove a cover-up by the owners, all it is going to take is for the public to be made fully aware of the dangers inherint in football and parents will start to decide that there is no way they are going to put their children in that kind of danger. Fewer players means less talent which means boring football.

Football may (should?) not exist 20 years from now.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/11/13
  • sobchaksecurity

Football may (should?) not exist 20 years from now.

an interesting, and an ever more plausible, scenario. there are a couple recent books out about the inbev take over of a-b. both books pretty much agree that the peak of the busch empire was in the mid 1990s, even though their peak in their market share of the beer industry wasn't hit until 2002, at over 52%. i think this is a pretty good analog for the nfl. sure, the super bowl has broken its own record as the most watched tv show ever for each of the last 3 years. but that might have more to do with the inertia that was built earlier in the 21st century than the actual power of the current nfl.

was the nfl taking these kinds of media hits when tagliabue was commissioner? espn & si would run out an occasional story about obessity in current & former nfl players, or non-concussion related physical ailments for former players. but those were mostly one offs. there wasn't a concentrated effort by not only the sports media, but now by the straight news media, to vaguely enact lifesaving changes to the game. (i mean my god, won't someone please think of the children?) is it because writers liked tagliabue more than they like goodell? was it more closely related to the death of gene upshaw, and a near total change in nflpa leadership? or have the pinko commies won some unknown battle, and now have a toehold in their agenda to tear down the fabric of america?

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Butler
Latest by RealFacts - 2:47 AM
THE CUBS IS DEAD!
Latest by MrXray - 1:34 AM
GT: MLB 2014
Latest by jaynovahawk07 - 1:23 AM
GT Win/Loss
Latest by Rajah - 12:29 AM
GT 4/16 Cards vs Brewers
Latest by jaynovahawk07 - Apr-16
OT: NFL Open Thread
Latest by cardsmojo - Apr-16
Slow Starting Cardinals: Who Concerns You Most?
Latest by booger71 - Apr-16
2014 Rexbird star/goat award
Latest by carp_4_cy - Apr-16
OT: TV
Latest by stldug - Apr-16
Speed thrills
Latest by drjekyllmrcard - Apr-16