• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Did we learn any lessons from Santana's 137.5 million?
  • 12/1/12
  • PrayedforBay
Id rather overpay for Wright than have to crappy player fill his spot. It doesn't matter if he got overpaid or not. The only thing that matters is if the Mets fill the rest of the positions with capable players.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • MetsMan
I'd rather have a team that's committed to winning, because with or with our Wright we are going to be at least 20 games out, next year.. And to me the whole Whiff/Tank Boy act is wearing thin.... Because Wright 2nd half of the season was disgusting, and yet yall are acting like he won the triple crown, or something...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • stearnsy12

part of my reservations about signing David to a monster contract like this is that while he is a very good player he's not the player he was the first four/five years of his career and you have to wonder what he'll be in 3-4 years more....

i go all the way back to that Home Run Derby and while i don't want to hang anything long term on that i believe he went from that the next season to Citi and i believe his approach at the plate changed and hasn't gone back to what it was since

some players are not the same hitters at Citifield and it affects them more than others and sometimes they carry that with them even on the road

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • MetsMan
I really believe that the way the Mets handled Wright and Reyes really screwed their heads up... In Reyes case, he was never appreciated and this caused him to press and hide injuries causing it to get worse. With Wright they gave him the keys to the car, and made him the savior... I think this pressure really hampered his development..
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • stearnsy12

i understand all that it's just that our franchise unfortunately suffers from a lack of talent and a lack of financial resources and little in the way of opportunity to turn things around in the short term if they don't want to deal the talent we do have

so if the primary goal was to sign the face of the franchise i don't dispute this contract was a huge success

but if the primary goal was to re-stock the franchise with more talent then despite all the money we've given David we've neither taken a step backward nor forward

as far as bringing back next year's team,so far so good

what they do next will tell us pretty much everything there is to know about the near future of this team

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • stearnsy12

i just think the way Reyes plays the game and a predisposition to leg injuries for whatever reason is what set him back as far as blossoming into a possible HOFer in my opinion....in 2006 at the age of 22 or 23 he had one of the best all around seasons a shortstop ever had and i thought by the end of his career he had the chance to be the greatest all around shortstop of all time

not so much anymore

i think David is a fine player,top five at his position even if he's no longer the hitter he was 5 years ago...i think he is the "face of the franchise" and i just don't think this particular franchise can afford the luxury of having one

• Reply to this Message