• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• ONLY ON THIS BOARD COULD PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT A POTENTIAL
  • 1/25/13
  • viper99

That is because a player like Bourn is good for a team that is 1 player away. Think about like the trade the Braves just made. Now they are an elite team.

The Mets are 4th place with or without Bourn. In fact, fixing the poison pen would help the Mets more than spending 15M per year for Bourn. So if the Mets take 15M and sign 2 relievers who could potentially close if needed and a Hairston type OF, the Mets would be better off.

Now, it is not that I wouldn't want Bourn but not if it cost the Mets the 11 draft pick. Now when you are building the farm and a better future.

Here is a list of CF who can potentially be FA after this season:

Alfredo Amezaga (36)
Rick Ankiel (34)
Coco Crisp (34) - $7.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Rajai Davis (33)
Jacoby Ellsbury (30)
Carlos Gomez (28)
Curtis Granderson (33)
Franklin Gutierrez (31) - $7.5MM club option with a $500K buyout
Tony Gwynn Jr. (31)
Nyjer Morgan (33)
Andres Torres (36)
Chris Young (30) - $11MM club option with a $1.5MM buyout

So if we don't get Bourn this year, there are plenty of CF next year.

Right fielders

Carlos Beltran (37)
Endy Chavez (36)
Shin-Soo Choo (31)
Nelson Cruz (33)
David DeJesus (34) - $6.5MM club option with a $1.5MM buyout
Chris Denorfia (33)
Mark DeRosa (39)
Matt Diaz (36)
Jeff Francoeur (30)
Corey Hart (32)
Xavier Nady (35)
Nyjer Morgan (33)
Hunter Pence (31)
Ichiro Suzuki (40)

Left fielders

Jason Bay (35)
Endy Chavez (36)
Mark DeRosa (39)
Matt Diaz (36)
Ben Francisco (32)
Raul Ibanez (42)
Reed Johnson (37) - $1.6MM club option with a $150K buyout
Austin Kearns (34)
Jason Kubel (32) - $7.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Nate McLouth (32)
Mike Morse (32)
David Murphy (32)
Xavier Nady (35)
Laynce Nix (33)
Martin Prado (30)
Ryan Raburn (33)
Delmon Young (28)

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • alfolerud
I'm in favor of signing Bourn. We would waste our pick on a guy like Nimmo anyway.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • nym698641
Would the Braves waste the Pick?
I don't think so.
So the thought of giving the Braves and extra pick while we are paying a 30 year old guy that makes a living with his legs while we are a fourth place team makes no sense to me. Especially since we didn't sign Reyes because speed guys break down quicker then power guys.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • saztastic2012
Time will tell.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • saztastic2012

No we do not have to sign him we need to agree with him and that agreement can be with the condition the pick is protected then if they rule against us the agree is voided.

That said I would still sign him, Picks are just that draft picks, not sure things, Not guys who wil help the team now but guys who you have to sign, Pay and hope thye become something in 4 years.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • bucknerismyhero
I honestly can't wait until Nimmo has a nice year this year. Have you ever even seen him play? My guess is not, because if you had you wouldn't be nearly so vocal about his first full year of professional baseball...There is an awful lot to like about Nimmo, time will bare this out.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • nym698641
That means he would be signed. No way he agrees to a contract with Boras as an agent that will be dependent on a ruling, because then everyone would know what Boras was going to sign him for and he would get less from other teams that don't want to lose their picks either.
We either lose the pick or we don't sign him.
I am not forfeiting a pick to a team in our division that is already younger and better then the Mets.
It makes no sense because signing Bourne makes us maybe a 75 win team instead of a 70 win team.
I say save the money and prospects for Stanton or Price who both will be traded next year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • saztastic2012

We have an above average player at every infield spot and now have atleast an average player at C with potential to be so much more when TDA is ready,

Have an above Average rotation,

Had a weak pen that was so far below average it was the worst in the NL that has had a lot of the garbage taken out and could be decent to even good,

Our OF right now IS NOT GARBAGE that is something idiots with no clue says, Our OF as it is is young and unproven but only a dush would assume they know what Capt K is after 300 ABS or Baxter is after 200 or even Duda is after 700 ABS, That said you add a guy like Bourn now you have one proven leadoff hitter and only need two of the four guys you have fighting for the other two OF spots to work out.

I am tired of posters like you.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • saztastic2012

How do you the mets can not contend? BASEBALL IS NOT PLAYED ON PAPER!!!!

We have an above average player in the infield and potentially the Catchers spot to,

The OF right now is not garbage but rather young and unproven, Do you have any clue what Baxter can be based on his 200 abs? Do you know what Capt K can be based on his near 300 ABS? How about Duda you have any clue what he might be based on his 700 ABS?

We have an above Average rotation and have a pen that could be good.

I wish you people would stop saying we are a fourth place team as if you have seen the future.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • saztastic2012
You dont know what he would agree to.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • nym698641
Actually the Mets are a fourth or fifth place team right now. They were in fourth last year and the year before and the year before that and the year before that. So four straight years of fourth place and no improvements and the loss of the Cy Young award winner and 20 home run guy makes us a fourth place team again or worse.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • nym698641
No one puts a number on a contract for other teams to see especially if that number is dependent on a ruling from the Commissioner. It is not the way to negotiate. Especially not for Scott Boras.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547815.32 was deleted
  • 1/25/13
  • saztastic2012

No improvement

Lets see Thole, Shoppach and Nickeas combined to be the worst offense from the Catchers spot in the league replaced with Buck and TDA

Over 600 ABS wasted on Bay and Torres that will go to better hitters

So that is 1200 ABS that will be taken by better hitters in 2013 then in 2012

Santana another year removed, Harvey for a full year, Gee back and now Marcum far outweights the loss of Dickey

The worst offenders in our pen gone, Replaced with young guys.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • Moses0507

"Santana another year removed, Harvey for a full year, Gee back and now Marcum far outweights the loss of Dickey"

That is ABSOLUTE GARBAGE! You are wrong.

"Over 600 ABS wasted on Bay and Torres that will go to better hitters"
There is No proof of that.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • saztastic2012
See I think Bourn is worth 15 MIll, I think him along with Duda, and whoever of Capt, K Baxter and I guess Lutz wins the finale spot can make a devent maybe even good OF.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • TheGMan47
You are overvaluing Dickey and Hairston. One player does not make up the whole team. You have to understand that removing Dickey does not mean taking away 20 wins. Our infield is above average, catcher is improved, rotation is above average, and the bullpen will be younger and better.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • nym698641
And you have proof that Mike Baxter and Kirk are better hitters then Bay and Torres?
So a guy that bats .194 and a kid that has never played in the Major Leagues is better then the catchers we had last year. Boy we really suc,k.ed last year then.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • bucknerismyhero
Kirk's strikeout rates, mediocre batting averages, and limited power give me pause when considering him to be anything more than a 4th OF type. Duda is a negative WAR player due to his horrendous defense, and that is before we get into his disappointing hitting. Baxter is a wildcard, but the dude is in his late 20's and has never anything of substance in the majors, save his 211 middling plate appearances last year for us. You can hate my posts, but to say that this OF, as currently constructed, is anything other than garbage is unbelievable. Sandy Alderson himself has said this outfield stinks.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • saztastic2012

You never say anything, You make statments like "thats garbage" but what have you ever really said?

Dickey was one pitcher, We got half a season of harvey last year (His ERA was a as good as Dickey's if memory serves) we get him for a full season, That is 10 to 15 more starts, Santana's ERA over his first 16 games before getting stepped on was I think the exact same as Dcikeys, Gee was better then the guys we used as our fifth starter, Marcum had a mid 3s ERA

Math is simple, we need to replace 220 innings with an ERA below 3,

A full season of Harvey makes up for 110 of those innings,
25 starts from Santana instead of 16 makes up for 55 of those innings,
Dont forget Wheeler should come up mid season
then factor Gee for 180 Innings is better then the guys who made up the fifth sport and Marcum for 180 Innings is much better then the ERA we got from Young

And there is proof whoever wins the job will be better then Bay/ Torres because they were just horrid.

Funny you can complain about ow bad Bay and Torres was but then actually not think whoever takes over will be better, AAA players would ahve produced better.

Addition by subtraction.

• Reply to this Message