• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• WITH WHAT SEEMS LIKE A WILLINGNESS TO SPEND ON MID TEIR FA'S
  • 12/5/12
  • edmet
JUAN RIVERA FOR $1M OR SO WOULD BE A DECENT RH BAT TO REPLACE HAIRSTON ON BENCH IMO.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • metsheart
"Adding one or two middle of the road hitters will NOT help us get there."

Would "middle of the road hitter" be an improvement in LF vs 2012?

Would "middle of the road hitter" in CF be an improvement vs 2012?

Would "middle of the road hitter" in RF be an improvement vs 2012?

Would "middle of the road hitter" at C be an improvement vs 2012?

Would "middle of the road hitter" in any 2 of those spots be an improvement vs 2012?

You gotta start SOMEWHERE to improve. Can't do it all in 1 shot. Improve at 2 positions & get just AVERAGE BP (vs 2nd worst) & there's a chance of competing for WC. At the very least Mets could get to .500 for 1st time in 5 yrs.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • joemets22

Sandy himself, in his own words when he took this job, said "what's the difference between winning 70 or 80 games? Neither gets you into the playoffs". Our own GM disagrees with you.

The goal should always be to build towards a championship team. Not to build for mediocrity. Mediocre upgrades like that are not going to take this team to the playoffs.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • metsheart
Yes. Goal is to BUILD towards playoffs.

You think Mets can get to playoffs in one fell swoop this offseason?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • joemets22
No, but that's why I really don't care about "mid-tier" FA's like Ludwick or Cody Ross.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • beingfrank

So, then you are of the opinion we should just s*ck it up and prepare ourselves for another bad year rather then make stop gap moves that are just temporary fixes and will not help us long term?

Mind you, I'm not being argumentative. Just trying to get a read on what your thinking is

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • joemets22

I think the aim should be to fill holes with quality players that have a chance to be part of our future, even if it's just a spot or 2 rather than trying to fill all of them with mediocre stopgaps.

I'll give you an example. Last year we spent about $10 million on Frank Francisco and Jon Rauch, and another 6 for Frank this year. 2 guys that at their best are mediocre and have no future here. Basically irrelevant signings in the big picture. I would've much rather seen us sign a guy like Yoennis Cespedes who got 4 years/$36 million at age 26. He made less than Frank and Rauch did last year, and only 3 more mil than Frank this year and with money coming off the books wouldn't have been a problem for the next 2 years at 9 mil per.

Was he a risk? Sure. But at least that money's going towards a guy that could actually be a building block for when we are ready to compete. Who cares if the Francisco moved had "worked out" and pitched to his normal mediocre level? He's not part of the solution.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • metsheart
So you don't want Mets to try to improve position players at all for 2013?

Or only if improvement is AS caliber players in at least 3 of 4 positions (3 OF + C) to try to compete in 2013?

Mets had 2nd worst BP in MLB 2012. Only Brewers had higher BP ERA (4.66 vs Mets 4.65). Mets had 4th most BP losses w/ 29. Means BP came in w/ tie score or Mets ahead & let game get away 29 times. Only Astros, Cubs, Rox & Brewers had more BP losses. WITHOUT ADDING OFFENSE -- if Mets could cut BP losses by 1/3 (19-20 BP losses vs 29) that would be 9-10 more wins. And with just "middle of the road" hitter in LF 2013 vs Bay 2012 can't you assume at least 4-5 more wins w/ added output?? That's 13-15 more wins between getting just AVERAGE BP & just "middle of the road" LF hitting. With 14 more wins than 2012 (74) that's 88 wins. Same # of wins STL had for 2nd WC.

Isn't that the idea???
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • murphstates
The problem is they won't spend on better than lower tier free agents and have now waited until the best available outfielder in free agency is Scott Hairston. That does not improve the team. At catcher the name now being discussed barring a trade is Miguel Olivo. That does not improve the team.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • metsheart
Key phrase in your post:
"barring a trade"

Possible Mets will be able to make trades as FA possibilities dry up for teams looking for help at 3B (trade Murphy)? Or SP (trade Gee or Familia)? Or some other creative possibilities like sign Lannan & then trade Niese for OF or C?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • saztastic2012
I have paid attention and that is not what I have heard.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • saztastic2012
Agreed.
  • Reply to this Message