• Welcome Guest
Chicago White Sox

Welcome to the Chicago White Sox.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• 3/10/12
  • TheGovernor1

i know its not the same thing but maybe he's getting inspiration from jaime moyer , who just pitched two shut out innings against the giants and will turn 50 this year...

i believe if moyer makes the rockies roster and pitches the whole year he might be the oldest player to play the whole season...the oldest i could find was hoyt wilhelm , his last year at age 49 but he only pitched in 16 games , 25 innings that season..

ever check out wilhelm's career stats??..they are crazy..might be the oddest career in baseball..he pitched 21 seasons but didnt break into the majors until he was 29...his rookie year he went 15-3 with a league leading 71 games pitched and a 2.43 era..he had one season as a starting pitcher.. at age 36 he went 15-11 with a 2.19 era and that evidently wasn't good enough to keep from sending him back to the bullpen...from age 42 to 45 , a 4 year period(all with the white sox) his era was never higher than 1.99..he only had two seasons where his era was above 4...considered one of the best relievers ever and a hall of famer his career high in saves was 27 and only had three years where he had 20 or more saves..

finished his careee with 143 wins , 227 saves and a 2.70 era...crazy

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/10/12
  • Sox2K14
I am old enough to remember Hoyt. He was a knuckleballer, unsurprisingly. They used to use that huge "pancake" mitt to catch him and still had a hard time keeping the ball in front of the plate. He taught Wilbur Wood a few knuckler tricks that helped him, too.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/10/12
  • Metallives

I went and tried to youtube the "ball hits head" home run.. but it looks like mlb has activated their copyrights on that...

So instead, i give you this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bVgsxTFYFM

Edited 3/10/12   by  Metallives
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/10/12
  • 1lonewolf
Ouch. A young Ozzie. And Karko behind the plate .
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/10/12
  • 1lonewolf
Also tossed a no hitter with Baltimore against the Yanks .
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/10/12
  • 1lonewolf
In 1958 Cleveland GM Frank Lane allowed him to be picked up on waivers by Baltimore because
he was alarmed by the number of passed balls . I believe ( but am not sure ) that he was the first pitcher that the catcher used the large mitt.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 3/14/12
  • 1lonewolf
Now Shaq wants to pound on him.
He says he is willing to fight Canseco in a mixed martial arts bout. "If he wants it done, he knows where to find me " Shaq said . " He can be high off whatever, and I'll be high off Frosted Flakes ".
Canseco lost a mixed martial arts bout in 77 seconds against 7 ' 2 " S. Korean Hong Man Choi in 2009.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/14/12
  • pc_flippen
Did you see Canseco on some talk show a couple years back? All dressed in women's clothes or something like that? That dude has lost it, that juice has made his brainy crispy.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/14/12
  • 1lonewolf
No I didn't see that . But I do'nt doubt it . I think he is nuts. Delusional for sure.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/15/12
  • junglejimrivera

Here's a bit of goofiness from Canseco with a local connection. In a nutshell, the Yuma Scorpions were visiting the Lake County (Ill.) Fielders, owned in part by Kevin Costner. The Fielders players weren't getting paid so they refused to play....J

[-Fielders hitting coach Pete LaCock, a former Cub [nice name Pete!] who has seen many strange things, took over as interim manager. He put all listed pitchers in positional spots for the game. Non-pitchers pitched.

To even out the playing field, Scorpions player-manager Jose Canseco did the same. He also named himself starting pitcher.-]

Sounds like something out of my long-lost youth. Right field OUT!

http://deadspin.com/5820671/minor-league-involving-kevin-costner-jose-canseco-and-pete-lacock-devolves-into-extreme-chaos

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/15/12
  • 1lonewolf
Lol . Canseco pitched 6 innings and got the win. Or maybe that was Ozzie Canseco his twin.
Jose was supposed to be at a celebrity boxing event for which he was paid but sent his brother instead . They got caught because of tatoos that Ozzie does'nt have. Weird dude.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/15/12
  • junglejimrivera
Jose seems like a case of Arrested Development on Steroids.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/15/12
  • vawhitesox
He dressed in drag on "Celebrity Apprentice". He also played a f.ag on another episode. That was for charity, so I would give him a pass for that.
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
RACIAL NEUTRALITY UPHELD
Latest by LaFollette - 7:30 PM
Chicago Bulls 2013-2014
Latest by soxmania06 - 7:30 PM
4/23 at Detroit
Latest by win05 - 7:28 PM
Wrigley Birthday
Latest by win05 - 7:25 PM
Sale to the DL
Latest by LaFollette - 6:45 PM