• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Worst OF and bullpen, or just worst OF?
  • 1/28/13
  • jsmet
I say the bull pen is worse then the outfield.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • 4545_ajd

"I say the bull pen is worse then the outfield."

I strongly disagree. The outfield is bad the BP is unproven. One thing I do like about the BP is there is a ton of depth so we won't have anyone stinking it up for a prolonged period of time like last year, we have a lot relievers and they almost all have minor league options.

Edited 1/28/13   by  4545_ajd
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • Gepett0

i actually think the bullpen will be ok ...not great bc they dont really have an answer at closer....but i think it will actually be substantially better than last year in that we will have a few of the kids step up to some egree

but its hardly going to be a shut down pen...just not bottom 5

• Reply to this Message
Message 547900.5 was deleted
  • 1/28/13
  • kaztast1c

You are referring to last years BP that featured Byrdak, Acosta, Batista, etc.

This years bullpen is going to be full of guys who just started shaving last week.

So yes, unproven is the correct word.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • Oldfan

It's hard to imagine that the BP can be as bad as the OF.

The Mets have the worst OF in the majors (and probably the minors).

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • DFAB
lol...so it is SANDY'S fault that the wilpons won't spend?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • fargol

"He needs to be fired."

LOL rethink that statement. You'll find it kind of funny.

(Hint: Look upwards)

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • thagreat1
At this point I'd say our outfield is more unknown than terrible. Cowgill, Duda, or Baxter can have a breakout season this year. Probably not but certainly not impossible..
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • Oldfan

Cowgill and Baxter are no better than 4th/5th OFers on any team but the Mets.

There is a chance Duda's bat could come alive, unfortunately he's a 1Bman/DH playing LF. A team can live with his defensive shortcomings if he carries a big stick.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • thagreat1
The thing about cowgill is no one has seen enough on him to say what string outfielder he's going to be. He's had really good minor league numbers and a rough handful of games at the big league level. That doesn't say much either way.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • Oldfan

I think the A's have seen enough of him where they wouldn't have let him go for nothing if they thought he's be a good starting OFer. Beane doesn't make a lot of mistakes on guys who aren't due to make much money.

I'm not saying he's not a useful palyer.

He's supposedly a plus corner OF dender, with a plus arm. I read he's a bit slow to play CF. I'm guessing the Mets play him in CF, since their options are limited. In that case, .270, 10 HRs would be OK, but those aren't good numbers for a corner OFer.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • Kranesback
I think the difference is that the bullpen is more fixable. If we sign Wilson and he's decent that would be a big first step. However, we still need a good setup guy that can step in and close if Wilson flaters (and the answer there is not Francisco or Parnell). Also, signing Oswalt and moving Gee to the pen would help. The outfield situation is much more bleak. We have two guys who have not had the opportunity to show they are everyday major leaguers, and one guy who has shown he is not.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • AdrianMonk

The outfield will be better than most people think.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • frozensoda
Could be the worst OF in Met history. These guys would not even start on most minor league teams. I like Shawn Marcum and all but one could could argue the $ spent on him would have been better off spent on a OF'er or reliever. Fire Sandy & his crew, hire a bunch of young hungry cheap FO execs & put the 6mill in savings towards an OFer!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • bbyjean616
You know whats scary? getting rid of Jason Bay and having a WORSE Outfield
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • MetObserver
He may not be a full time starting outfielder but he could become a very good platoon player with Baxter in Right field. Splitting time with two 4th outfielders can make the production at a given position very good. If the splits are favorable. It has been done very successfully in the past. Not only with the Mets but with other teams too. To balance the team we would need a righthanded hitter for a platoon in left with Duda. Let either Kirk or Den Dekker play in center if we don't save the pick and take Bourn.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • metsheart
"Watch any games last season? They s*ck. Right there at the bottom of MLB"

You talking about last year's BP?

Acosta
Batista
Beato
R. Ramirez

4 of the worst offenders in Mets BP are now gone.

Young guys could possibly be as bad as they were. Odds pretty good they'll be at least slightly better IMO. Be hard to be worse than those ex-Met relievers were.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • metsheart
"Cowgill and Baxter are no better than 4th/5th OFers on any team but the Mets"

There's new guy Jamie Hoffmann too. None of these guys have a big enough MLB sample to judge them on yet IMO.

Would you think OF w/ just 1 hit in his 1st 21 AB (.048 BA) & 3 K's was anything more than 4th OF?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/28/13
  • JoseJose

"None of these guys have a big enough MLB sample to judge them on yet IMO."

Do you think there is a reason they were not mlb players? Or do you think they are stars who just happened not to be on mlb teams?

Putting guys out there with no experience does not translate to them being better than what we had. There is a higher probability that unproven players will not pan out than that they will be stars.

• Reply to this Message