• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Rangers still can't score
  • 1/31/13
  • DFAB
another disgusting game...I bet they will miss the playoffs completely this year..
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547819.19 was deleted
  • 2/1/13
  • jsmet
Same pattern like last year. They have one game which they score 4 or 5 goals then they go a stretch of games where they have
Difficulty scoring at least 1 goal per game.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • DFAB
another game...another period....another disgusting effort...I was actually excited for this season.....pathetic
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547819.22 was deleted
  • 2/5/13
  • DFAB
I'm allowed to be a little annoyed at a team who is completely underachieving and was favored to win the cup. You should be an expert in underachievement..
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 547819.24 through 547819.26 were deleted
  • 2/5/13
  • jsmet
They still have trouble scoring 9 games into the season.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547819.28 was deleted
  • 2/6/13
  • jsmet
There was no training camp for the sharks blackhawks bruins. Just to name a few .
And they seem just fine. Its sad when the rookies and new comers Krieder poe and Miller
Looked way better then the regulars on this team.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • jsmet
I guess the no training camp is the reason why they are 3 for 35 so far in the power
Play. What was their excuse last year?
  • Reply to this Message
Message 547819.31 was deleted
  • 2/6/13
  • jsmet
Some of these players have looked soft so far in their play hopefully they will change .
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • DFAB
in this shortened season, they have to turn it around NOW...they can't afford being a sub .500 team any longer...especially since the Devils, Penguins, and Islanders aren't losing...
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 547819.34 through 547819.35 were deleted
  • 2/6/13
  • JoseJose
You are completely right in saying there are major problems with the Rangers. I have watched and played hockey my whole life, and am a diehard Ranger fan. When this team under Tortorella is good, they attack offensively. The downside of the this team under Tortorella happens when they try to win every game 1-0 by depending solely on Lundquist. When they play this way there are hardly even any attempts at offense. If/when they do get into the offensive zone they go wide to the boards or behind the net, as if you get half a goal for doing that. BTW when you play defense in hockey you want the forwards to do exactly that, giving almost zero chance of a goal. When you have no offensive creativity, are tentative/scared, or lack confidence as an offensive player (due to lack of training/practicing/drilling/other reason), you go wide or behind the net as they do. I am not talking about cycling around to get open, but pointless movement without any hard drive to the net as an attack or even just throwing the puck on goal for a rebound. This has been the case for years. Such as the first half of last year when they were dominant (they attacked), while for the 2nd half and on, they were limp and passive (usually) on offense and they were mediocre, barely beating two poor teams in the playoffs in 7 games before getting soundly embarrassed by their cross-town rivals for another irrelevant season. We complain about the Mets FO on this site - how/why Teflon Sather gets away with decades of fruitless GMship of this team with zero results is beyond me. Although, some recent moves he made are good, so one has to look at the coach. The team is defense only, to the point where the D often doesn't even look for breakout passes but is happy to dump the puck out and allow continued attack by the opposition. This season is still young and they could change it around but this no offense issue has been plauging them for years. The excuses you will hear: we always get "the hot goalie" from every team; "we played well 5 on 5" (as the coach said yesterday for a game in which they got outscored 2-1 when 5 on 5); "we had good energy"; "we have to start quicker". The lack of offense is brilliantly illuminated by the complete absence of a power play - they do not even get SHOTS on the power play, including sustained 5 on 3's! These power plays are times where the offense is highlighted, or should I say the absence of it. The Tortorella system is resembling a prevent Defense right now, and we all know that prevents winning. If you know hockey and you watch the games, you can see the problem is their approach - they are almost trying to play like the great Devil teams of the last decade that were all D, and attacked/capitalized only when the other team made mistakes, but they just don't have the personnel for that kind of team. In a way they don't have an identity - they are not a tough team, a high scoring team, a super fast team - they seem to be a team that just tries to play D and not attack.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/6/13
  • jsmet

- they are not a tough team, a high scoring team, a super fast team - they seem to be a team that just tries to play D <

They are the same like last year. Even Nash has only 1 goal so far.

• Reply to this Message