• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Just Extend Him Already!
  • 12/11/12
  • Mort2112
I'm fairly certain the Mets and Dickey have discussed more than you read in the papers.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • murphstates
I'm fairly certain they haven't discussed an extension he's willing to sign.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • Mort2112
So you are suggesting the mets extend him without exploring the trade route further?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • murphstates
No, he should be traded. It's doesn't help either cause to have people inside the organization leaking embarrassing offers to the press.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • Mort2112
I'm not sure I understand what you want the Mets to do. You want him traded but you are also miffed by the "insulting offer"?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld
Be upfront: We're not going to extend you, we're going to trade you.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • Mort2112
Why do they have to decide one way or the other right now?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • METMAINEAC
no, they wont trade him for just garbage..they are waiting.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • murphstates

When the team is approaching potential trade partners and asking for multiple top prospects how does it serve the cause of trading him by having members of the organization leaking embarrassing, below market offers to the press?

If we won't offer the reigning Cy Young winner market value, why should a trade partner view his value as top of the market?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Get something.

There is no reason for him to be here for another two years. Something is better than nothing.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • Mort2112
So you're saying the other GMs are rating him based on what offers they are hearing from unnamed sources? He's not a free agent so what's the rush to extend him at market value? I would think since you want him traded that you would be happy they haven't done that.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • bennitto
I am with you guys on this they should just sign him.
It's not like the 38 year old is asking for three years.
Knuckleballers are notorious for being effective deep into their forties so the age thing to me is not so worrisome
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • murphstates

Here's an idea. How about this organization does something, anything to improve this team.

If our organization values him less than Dan Haren why should other organizations view him as a premier pitcher?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • TheChosen1
If I saw this, I wouldn't have started the other thread. I agree completely.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • Mort2112

Dan Haren and Dickey have differnt values to each team. Well I think teams act differently depending on the situation they are in. I'm sure other GMs do not look at purely dollars and cents in these circumstances.

I understand that you are frustrated and just venting though.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/11/12
  • forceout6

I think I'm more embarassed by the spectacle this whole thing has become than by the fact that he isn't extended. Turning the feel good story of the year into a carnival sideshow is exactly what the Mets do every single time.

Now we have Dickey in the press griping about the situation while Sandy shops a horse nobody wants to buy. So typical....

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • METMAINEAC

Its an old thread. Started it when it became apparent the rest of the league didnt value Dickey as much as expected.

With it becoming less and less likely the Mets will net anything of significance, now they're at the point of disparaging Dickey over small change. Kiss that hometown discount buh-bye now, meanwhile reinforcing the bumbling reputation of the front office of this team.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • METMAINEAC

Sorry, I'll take 2 more years of an Ace...and all the intangables that comes with it, mentoring, revenue, etc., than some scrub prospects.

Since its evident now he's not garnering the prospects you and other had hoped for, you can stop towing the line of trading him just to trade him.

your statement makes no sense at all.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

If Olt is on the table, he's not a 'scrub prospect'. He'd instantly be the best positional prospect the franchise has.

And what is the point of keeping Dickey for two years, again? To reach that mountaintop of 75 wins?

THAT doesn't make sense.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • mysticpiazza

A 2 year extension puts Dickey in our hands through the 2015 season. If you don't think this team can field a competent flirting playoff contender by 2015 then what makes you think trading Dickey away for a few prospects who won't be seeing the majors until 2015 anyway makes a difference?

I want Dickey signed AND I expect that with Bay's money gone, Wright's deferred salary, and more money coming off the books in 2014 that SA should have NO excuses for not assembling a good team within 3 years. If that isn't the plan, then trade Dickey NOW when his value likely won't get any higher, BUT bear in mind you might still have the same jackarses at the helm and there's no reason to assume they'd know what to do with young prospects either.

• Reply to this Message