• Welcome Guest
Chicago Cubs

Welcome to the Chicago Cubs.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• finally some real info about zimmerman
  • 4/26/12
  • TheGhostOfNO1
I was surprised reuters was this fair, it shows how bad news media today is that we are surprised when they give a fair acct of something.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 4/26/12
  • montalvus
I think you beat me to the adoption a long time ago...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 4/26/12
  • TheGhostOfNO1
since he is hispanic, I thought you would be more interested since he could look more like your son.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 4/26/12
  • TheGhostOfNO1

this is really the crux of the problem :

By the summer of 2011, Twin Lakes was experiencing a rash of burglaries and break-ins. Previously a family-friendly, first-time homeowner community, it was devastated by the recession that hit the Florida housing market, and transient renters began to occupy some of the 263 town houses in the complex. Vandalism and occasional drug activity were reported, and home values plunged. One resident who bought his home in 2006 for $250,000 said it was worth $80,000 today.

At least eight burglaries were reported within Twin Lakes in the 14 months prior to the Trayvon Martin shooting, according to the Sanford Police Department. Yet in a series of interviews, Twin Lakes residents said dozens of reports of attempted break-ins and would-be burglars casing homes had created an atmosphere of growing fear in the neighborhood.

In several of the incidents, witnesses identified the suspects to police as young black men. Twin Lakes is about 50 percent white, with an African-American and Hispanic population of about 20 percent each, roughly similar to the surrounding city of Sanford, according to U.S. Census data.

One morning in July 2011, a black teenager walked up to Zimmerman's front porch and stole a bicycle, neighbors told Reuters. A police report was taken, though the bicycle was not recovered.

But it was the August incursion into the home of Olivia Bertalan that really troubled the neighborhood, particularly Zimmerman. Shellie was home most days, taking online courses towards certification as a registered nurse.

On August 3, Bertalan was at home with her infant son while her husband, Michael, was at work. She watched from a downstairs window, she said, as two black men repeatedly rang her doorbell and then entered through a sliding door at the back of the house. She ran upstairs, locked herself inside the boy's bedroom, and called a police dispatcher, whispering frantically.

"I said, 'What am I supposed to do? I hear them coming up the stairs!'" she told Reuters. Bertalan tried to coo her crying child into silence and armed herself with a pair of rusty scissors.

Police arrived just as the burglars - who had been trying to disconnect the couple's television - fled out a back door. Shellie Zimmerman saw a black male teen running through her backyard and reported it to police.

After police left Bertalan, George Zimmerman arrived at the front door in a shirt and tie, she said. He gave her his contact numbers on an index card and invited her to visit his wife if she ever felt unsafe. He returned later and gave her a stronger lock to bolster the sliding door that had been forced open.

"He was so mellow and calm, very helpful and very, very sweet," she said last week. "We didn't really know George at first, but after the break-in we talked to him on a daily basis. People were freaked out. It wasn't just George calling police ... we were calling police at least once a week."

reading this, I can't imagine how it must feel to live in a community that has this level of violence. We sometimes don't realize how fortunate we are compared to others. imagine having to live each day in fear of this stuff.

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/26/12
  • montalvus
Yes, No1. You've made that joke before. I understood it the first time.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 409781.22 was deleted
  • 4/26/12
  • TheGhostOfNO1
it wasn't a joke, it is how now I guess we are to view people by skin color.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 409781.24 was deleted
  • 4/26/12
  • TheGhostOfNO1
that community is a danger zone it sounds. I can't imagine living in that type of area.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 409781.26 was deleted
  • 4/26/12
  • TheGhostOfNO1

illini is going to try to petition to get this killer canonized before we know it. maybe they should erect a statue of him- gun in hand -standing over the dead body of trayvon martin, wearing a crown of thorns (with two band-aids on the back of his head).

I bet if you lived there a month you would be whistling a different tune. its easy to vilify those when you don't have to walk in their shoes. just be thankful you don't live in this community.

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/26/12
  • TheGhostOfNO1

if the neighborhood was so bad, why didn't zimmerman move?

poor people,unlike me and you, can't just move to nice areas that are safe.

fortunately,the woman that was attacked by the two thugs was able to move her family out of there.

• Reply to this Message
Messages 409781.29 through 409781.32 were deleted
  • 4/26/12
  • montalvus

I had read about most of these things (the crimes in the neighborhood) before. Here is an article from late March that mentions almost every incident the article you posted mentions...

<http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/03/28/zimmerman-s-twin-lakes-community-was-on-edge-before-trayvon-shooting.html

So I don't understand why you think this is "finally" getting reported.

Unless you were referring to Zimmerman being an altar boy. I didn't know that.

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/26/12
  • TheGhostOfNO1

can you show me a new york times or LA times article on this also?

I don't read the daily beast so I missed it. this is the first time I saw this written by a major news agency.

one of my concerns was the misrepresentation of not only the community,but the person. we heard alot of people branding him a racist, a cowboy, a thug. we learn now this isn't really him. its probably too late for most though,once minds are set its hard to change.

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/26/12
  • montalvus

My point is that anyone that wanted to know about this could have found out, so it wasn't due to lack of reporting.

I'm hardly following any of this, yet I knew about this. You spend more time on this case, so one would think you'd know about it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/26/12
  • Batman66
No she won't because she won't read it.
There is nothing new for her to learn on this case.
She's been convinced Zimmerman shot Martin for "walking while black".
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
CJ Edwards
Latest by jonnyhandsome - 8:45 PM
If only Theo's illusion was real
Latest by sAN_cUB_fAN - 8:44 PM
GT Cubs vs. Reds April 19th
Latest by 20kman14 - 8:44 PM
Almora
Latest by dAn - 8:42 PM
Bryant tearing up AA
Latest by BreakingBaptist - 8:41 PM