• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Would you trade this for J.Upton
  • 11/7/12
  • PrayedforBay

So I'm bumping this to re-post what I feel was my most important post from this thread:

"If it honestly costs less than I outlined, I fully expect Upton to be on this team."

And yes I called it, interest in Upton had to be there if he was available.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 11/7/12
  • PrayedforBay

Also it appears I was right while most of you were wrong. A deal would likely involve Niese.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/mlb-rumors/20868642/mets-trade-notes-justin-upton-jon-niese-matt-harvey-zack-wheeler

"Puma writes that Arizona GM Kevin Towers would likely ask for a package highlighted by starting pitcher Jon Niese, who has four years and $24.5 million remaining on his team-friendly deal signed in April (as well as two club options for 2017 and 2018)."

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • YaGottaBelieve11
If the Mets are going to trade Niese and Duda, who else is out there that can match the potential of Upton? As long as the names Harvey and Wheeler are out of the discussion, I'm in board. Niese, Duda, and a Mejia/Familia works for me.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • DFAB

"Niese, Duda, and a Mejia/Familia works for me."

Good thing you aren't the GM. The point is to NOT overpay....

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • PrayedforBay
He (Alderson) may still think thats giving up too much, but it still proves me right for suggesting it WOULD take that much. At least I understand player value.

Edited 11/7/12   by  PrayedforBay
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • YaGottaBelieve11

you really think thats an overpay? I don't. The only piece I would be a little upset over losing is Niese, but Upton is a nice haul for him.

We gave Duda every chance to succeed last year, and he regressed from 2011 with reports of attitude problems. Familia sure throws hard, but guys who throw upper 90s are pretty easy to come by these days, and he got lit up pretty bad in AAA

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • PrayedforBay
Well if thats how you feel, then you are in luck. Harvey and Wheeler, the article mentions, are the two players that are off the table.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • 4545_ajd
Upton is not a bargain, he is coming off a down year in which he got booed by his home crowd and his OPS is down over .100 points from 2011and is making an average of 12.83M a year for the next 3 years. Niese is coming off a good year top 20-30 in all major league pitching categories and is averaging just 6.125M the next four years with two affordable club options after that.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • PrayedforBay
He played hurt all year. Its not a valid argument.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • PrayedforBay
YOu can still prefer Niese over Upton, but your reason is not even a thought to me.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • DFAB
That is still SPECULATION of what someone THINKS it would take to get Upton. You aren't proven right until it actually HAPPENS. It may or may not. From a Mets standpoint, that is SEVERELY overpaying if we traded Niese+top prospects.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • YaGottaBelieve11
Well, ask yourself who we need more, Niese or Upton. Given who we have in our farm, I've made up my mind
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • DFAB
Niese would bring back much more than just Upton if he was made available. There would be MULTIPLE teams lining up with 3-4 top prospect offers.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • AdrianMonk

Replace Niese with Gee and I'll give my approval.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • 4545_ajd

"He played hurt all year. Its not a valid argument. "

So injuries don't lower a players value? Poor performance injury whatever the excuse is his value is still a lot lower today than it was a year ago. There is a reason why the Diamondback are actively looking to trade him other wise we wouldn't even be discussing it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • PrayedforBay

"Puma writes that Arizona GM Kevin Towers would likely ask for a package highlighted by starting pitcher Jon Niese"

Why do you think he used the word "likely". Just a random guess?

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • DFAB
THAT would actually be closer to what a deal would actually look like if it came from us. Flores, Familia, Gee, and add in 1 or 2 other non top prospects...that would be a more likely scenario.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • YaGottaBelieve11
Maybe, I don't really think that's the case but I guess it could be. At best, we get 1 wheeler or harvey level prospect and a couple slightly lesser guys, IMO
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • DFAB
Why do you think he used the word "ask"? You can ASK for whatever you want....GETTING something is a completely different story....
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • PrayedforBay

There is a difference between a young talented player being hurt, and just having poor performance. It's not like bad trades don't happen. And its Arizona, lets not make their fan bases "boos" into valid concerns/rationale. Mets fans booed Beltran.. so what.

I think Arizona is making a mistake personally. Or maybe they are just dangling him out there. I would have liked Chris Young too.

• Reply to this Message