Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Need more than what we're getting.
  • 12/15/12
  • ManWithNoName
Log off. Take a nap. Never log back on.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • jets_mets
Its called rebuilding. You trade a star player for players who you hope will improve to be good MLB players. Its a risk but its a necessary one. We need to fill multiple positions and doing this could fill a very difficult position in catcher for a long time.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 546393.18 was deleted
  • 12/15/12
  • spydermet

"Who did you want in return for Dickey from the Blue Jays? Josh Johnson and Jose Reyes."

No. How about this:

darnaud, syndergaard, davis/Gose, Bonifacio and buck for Dickey, Flores and Thole. Maybe even add McHugh. Dickey is being seriously undervalued in the current round of rumors.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • spydermet

"And risk RA having a bad first half, or getting injured... thus killing his trade value."

We will never improve if we worry more about trade value of our players than about having good players actually playing for this team. Any player can get injured, including those we get in any trade. By targeting prospects for our best players, we will always be a couple of years away.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • djiboutirox
you're right, we should sit on RA so that he can turn into a 40 year old pile of mush instead of insuring that we have someone of value in 3 years. great strategy. im sure the nationals are taking notes.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • sheadro
You realize this is a temporary strategy for build a team capable of long term success right? The plan isn't to turn into the Kansas City. You need to build a core first, then you make your run.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • NorthOf49

D'Arnaud was almost ready to come back for Arizona Fall League, there's no reason to believe he won't be 100% healthy come February 12th when pitchers and catchers report.

"A little speed". Gose will steal 80 bases if he can get on base at a decent player, he can be a Michael Bourn-type of player with 10 homer power and plenty of doubles.

You're trading a guy with one year left on his deal who doesn't have a UCL; what the Jays are rumoured to be giving up is for sure fair.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • sheadro
I don't understand how it's not fair? You are getting a proven elite front end starter $15 milliom below his market value. 38, no UCL, what ever, the chances of him pitching at the elite level he has shown is greater then the prospects we are getting back actually living up to their full potential. It seems assumed we are getting an All-Star catcher and it should be

Edited 12/15/12   by  sheadro
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • spydermet

"we should sit on RA so that he can turn into a 40 year old pile of mush"

Your crystal balls seem to be malfunctioning. Get one that shows a clearer and more accurate view. Dickey will go from the best pitcher to "a pile of mush" in 2 yrs? Not very likely. More likely, Dickey will continue for another yr or 2 with a sub .300 ERA, then pitch to about 3.35 - 3.50 ERA and WHIP of about 1.25-1.30 for the next 3 yrs. 2 yrs more as an ace, then 3 yrs as a # 2 is better than most pitchers expectations.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • djiboutirox
you think dickey will be throwing 80+ mph knuckleballs in 5 years?

the pitch becomes average at less than 77 mph. that's a really tight benchmark I dont see him passing in 2 years, no.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • spydermet
As he loses speed, his knuckleball will gain more movement and retain the ability to miss the sweet spots of opposing hitters' bats. I do think he can pitch effectively for another 5-6 yrs.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • djiboutirox
"As he loses speed, his knuckleball will gain more movement and retain the ability to miss the sweet spots of opposing hitters' bats."

what
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • spydermet
What exactly do you not understand about what I said. You may not agree with me, but what I posted was very clear.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • djiboutirox
I said 'the pitch doesnt work when its slower'

and you responded by saying 'but it will work because it will have more movement'

you countered a factually accurate statement with hypothetical conjecture thats, well, wrong.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • spydermet

"you countered a factually accurate statement with hypothetical conjecture thats, well, wrong."

You didn't make a factually accurate statement. You gave your opinion. Under 80 mph (such as 75-80) does not make the knukleball ineffective. A harder thrown ball is less affected by wind or air current. Losing speed will mean fewer strikeouts, but he will still pitch effectively. Your opinion does not constitute fact.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • djiboutirox
http://www.amazinavenue.com/2010/7/28/1592880/knuckling-under-with-two-speeds-ra

read down a bit. his slow knuckleball registers at insignificantly below average. all his value comes from the fast knuckleball.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • jets_mets
People analyze too much in baseball. His number 1 weapon is the fast knuckleball but that slow knuckler helps set it up and surprises people. I would never call it below average.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/15/12
  • themetsfan1

I have kept my mouth shut but now we are in the 11th hour. All I can say is that if we do not get someone substantial; if we get a prospect for R.A. then I am boycotting the Mets in 2013. I refuse to have my heart ripped out over stupidity.
Sandy better pull a rabbit out of a hat if he trades R.A. R.A. has brought class to the classless; spirit and soul and honor. If we get nothing for something I will be disgusted.
Sandy, your future in Met Fan's hearts rests in this moment. To take a 20 game winner away is ludicrous if you get bubkes in return.

The Wilpons are hated and you can add yourself to that list with this one move.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/15/12
  • djiboutirox
yeah, it helps set up the fast one but what happens when the fast one no longer exists?

• Reply to this Message