• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Every team has a weak link
  • 2/12/13
  • thagreat1
If a guy plays a full season and puts up putrid numbers then you can call him whatever you like. This doesn't apply to our young guys
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • thagreat1
Excellent point Danthe. Proof in the pudding even if an outfield is below average the team can still do well.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Gepett0

duda's had more than a full season...he is pretty bad

kirk is really a fourth of and thats what scouts have said about him for the past 3 years

how bout this - find one scouting report on any one of our ofers that suggest they are more than a dh or 4th of and i will reconisder

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • 4545_ajd

"The last time the OF was this bad was 1999. "

Actually the last time the outfield was this bad was last year.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • 4545_ajd

"duda's had more than a full season...he is pretty bad"

He has had one good season one bad season so to use the fact that he has had more than one season and then just focus on his production from the bad season is not fair to him.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Gepett0
hes never had a good full season...hes had seasons where he has stretches of being productive...there is a difference...he can't adjust to what pitchers do to get him out after theyve seen him
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • danthemetfan

Oh c'mon you are spoiling my fun...

BTW, this OF should be better than last year. No Bay, no Torres, and did I mention no Bay?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Gepett0

yeah but no hairston too....

hairston is certainly overrated by many but hed still be the best of on this team

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • thagreat1

"h.h e can't adjust to what pitchers do to get him out after theyve seen him"

that is the quintessential definition of sophomore slump

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • danthemetfan
Hairston had a great season last year. The likelihood he repeated it was small. Still, I will gladly take no Hairston if it means no Bay. I do not know what the teams record was with Bay in the lineup, but I do know they played their best ball when he was not on the team. They were mediocre to start the season, and Bay got hurt and the team got hot. He came back, they went into slide. He went out, they got hot, he came back and the team fell off a cliff. All a coincidence?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Gepett0

you guys wanna go wild over the idea of what duda can do, go ahead

i will stick w/ the position that he is arguably the worst full time of in baseball...at the end of the season, i hve a feeling my assessment will be closer to the truth

and for the record, im a pretty optimistic poster...but i have zero faith in this of as currently constructed

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Gepett0

oh don't get me wrong, im happy to be rid of bay

i also don't think hairston was worth what he got and im ok walking away from him

truthfully, not signing bourn may prove to have been the right decision... but THIS years of is going to be horrible

maybe we make a deadline move for an OF just to start building towards the future....maybe we sign a guy like choo next offseason... the rest of the teams core is mostly in place at this point (though i think flores is our future at 2b over murphy)....but in the short term, our OF may be the only thing that keeps us from competing

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • MetObserver

So you mean that a 4th outfielder in the Majors is putrid? Using putrid I would conjure up a vision of 3 outfielders that are punch-less sub .200 hitters who can't field either. And I don't think that that will be the case this year. Maybe the outfielders we use will be sub par as a full time player. But as platoon players the combination can be more than adequate over the course of the season. Not planed to be but out of necessity it can work

If it doesn't work it doesn't work but at this time what choice do we as fans have but to root for it to be at least adequate.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • 4545_ajd

"He can't adjust to what pitchers do to get him out after theyve seen him"

What makes you say that, in 2011 he hit .229 with no HRs before the All star break, and .322 with 10 HRs after the All star break.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • danthemetfan
I have been quite open about my anti-duda stance. I agree he is not what he is cracked up to be, but I am in a good mood and ST is here. Duda's range factor is better in LF than RF, and his WAR is positive when in left. It was a HUGE mistake to put him in RF in Citi. If he plays LF all season, he wont cost the team games as he did in right, and maybe he wont take that with him to the plate. As a rookie he hit batter when he played LF more often than he did last year when he was in RF. Is that related? I dont know. Maybe he just couldnt make adjustments. All in all, as LF Duda is not going to be the worst OF in the league, and probably will have a positive WAR again.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • MetObserver

"truthfully, not signing bourn may prove to have been the right decision... but THIS years of is going to be horrible"

There you go. That is more realistic. You changed from Putrid to just Horrible in a short time frame.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • brianinwi

Nieuwenhuis, Duda, Baxter, Cowgill, Den Dekker, Brown

Do six 4th outfielders = 3 starting outfielders?

You've heard of "bullpen by commitee...." how about an "outfield by committee?"

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • thagreat1
A's did it last year
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Kranesback
Ours is just our lineup and bullpen.
  • Reply to this Message