• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• whats this garbage?
  • 1/25/13
  • robrock30

If the Mets seriously want to sign Bourn, they will have to make an agreement with his agent, Scott Boras. After they have agreed to a deal, then they can go to MLB to protest losing the 11th pick in the 2013 draft and forfeit a 2nd round pick instead. MLB will then have to agree to this rule change or they may not.

If the MLB approves the rule change for the Mets beforehand, Boras can just use the Mets to bid up the price for the Mariners or Rangers. The a priori rule change will probably increase Bourn's contract value and hence Boras' compensation therefrom.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • Metsbert

~~~ Before the mlb will rule on A decision .The Mets basically have to agree to sign Bourn.
So,after the Mets sign him,the mlb can still basically say nope and scr#w the Mets out of the pick. What A crock. ~~~

I can't understand why the MLB Union doesn't get involved. If it's true that only the Mets and the Mariners are interested in Bourn, then he'll be missing out on a bidding war for him if the Mets are out of the running because of the loophole. If that happens, the Mariners can name their price.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • nym698641
They can't get involved until the Mets are in agreement with Bourne. The league will never decide on this problem without a reason too. This opens up to big a can of worms for the MLB. Unless they are forced to make a decision they will just point at the CBA and say it says what it says and means what it says.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • metsheart
If MLB allows Mets to protect their draft pick & sign Bourn I beleive it will not effect any other team.

MLB can justify letting Mets protect #11 pick because they would've/ should've had #10 pick if Pittsburgh signed their 1st rd draft pick (and therefore would've been protected w/ #10 pick). The teams picking AFTER Mets would NOT have been protected. So they won't be allowed to forgo having to give up a draft pick to sign Bourn. Just as if Mets had been #10 pick like they should've been.

So NO DIFFERENCE for any team other than Mets if MLB allows this exemption.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • govmule72
It's so comical that all this is over Michael Bourn for crying out loud.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • saztastic2012
No if you ahve an agreement in place it is an agreement Borass can not then go back to other teams and try to get better offers, Once an agreement is in place it is for all intents a deal pending a physical or whatever.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • Metsbert

~~~ If MLB allows Mets to protect their draft pick & sign Bourn I beleive it will not effect any other team. ~~~

I think the Braves will sue. They'll lose a 1st round draft pick.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • nym698641
I would have given up the 11th pick for BJ Upton not Michael Bourn. Michael Bourn is an older less valuable Jose Reyes and will probably get the same kind of money. We let Jose walk away for nothing, yet would give up the 11th pick for Bourn. Makes no sense.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • robrock30

I beg to differ.

1) The Mets Harvard GM should have been protesting this months ago when Pittsburgh was awarded the #9 pick since they didn't sign their #8 pick from last year due to Scott Boras' expectations that Mark Appel would be the #1 pick with a $7.2 million slot bonus vs. the Pitt. offer of $3.8 million which was over slot for the # 8 pick. The Met GM should have protested this immediately when the Mets were bumped to #11 from #10.

2) Now Scott Boras is having a hard time getting a BJ Upton deal for Bourn because it appears that only Seattle is negotiating. The Rangers are probably monitoring. Frankly, Bourn is not worthy of BJ Upton $ since he lacks power which Upton has along with a higher ceiling. So Boras is suggesting that the Mets protest the #11 unprotected slot so as to entice the Mets to get into the bidding.

The reason for the new CBA rules with regards to both the hard slotting of draft choices in the 1st ten rounds and the protecting of only the 1st ten draft choices is to keep the FA contracts lower & to prevent Scott Boras from manipulating the markets.

If the Mets get this exemption before they were to outbid Seattle or Texas, then Seattle or Texas will be forced to overpay for Bourn by then outbidding the Mets. In this scenario the only beneficiaries would be that Bourn would have an inflated contract value & Boras would be overcompensated as a result.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • metsheart
Question:
If a team w/ top 10 pick signs Bourn what does Atlanta get in 2013 draft?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • metsheart
Same question I asked another poster:
If a team w a top 10 pick signs Bourn now what does Atlanta get?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • metsheart
Another question:
If Pittsburgh had signed Appel (their 1st rd pick in 2012) & Mets had the #10 pick in 2013 draft (protecting them from losing a draft pick if they signed Bourn this offseason) how would that be different from Mets being exempt from losing a draft pick now w/ #11 pick (and no other teams being exempt)?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • robrock30
The Braves will not get the 11th pick from the Mets. Seattle will move from #12 to #11 and hence they will get screwed twice by this rule change if allowed. The teams behind the Mets will each move up including the Braves who will get a sandwich pick. But it also affects the teams' bonus pools as each slot carries with it slot $.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • metsheart
What would Atlanta get if Astros, Cubs or Rockies signed Bourn right now?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • Metsbert

~~~ If a team w/ top 10 pick signs Bourn what does Atlanta get in 2013 draft? ~~~

I think they get a 2nd round pick.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • metsheart
I understand the draft order. I'm posing a hypothetical question to you:
What if #7 pick team (protected from losing a draft pick in 2013 draft if they sign a FA) Red Sox signs Bourn today? What does Atlanta get in 2013 draft if Boston signs Bourn?

Someone said Atlanta gets 2nd rd pick. Actually I think Atlanta gets 1st rd supplemental pick (after all 30 teams plus the extra pick for Pittsburgh because they failed to sign their 1st rd guy in 2012). So Atlanta would get 32nd overall pick.

If Pittsburgh had signed their 1st rd pick in 2012 Mets would've been exempt from losing a draft pick w/ #10 pick in 2013 draft. How would that change anything if MLB exempts #11 Mets from losing a draft pick? Doesn't that still protect the SAME 10 TEAMS from losing a draft pick as they would've if Pittsburgh signed their 1st rd guy?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • metsheart
I think Atlanta gets supplemental pick after all 30 teams pick in 1st round plus extra pick for Pittsburgh who failed to sign their 1st round pick in 2012. So Atlanta gets 32nd overall pick if a to 10 pick team signs Bourn right now.

How would that change antyhting for Altalnta if MLB exempts #11 Mets from losing a draft pick & Mets sign Bourn? How would that be different from Mets having had #10 pick & singing Bourn if Pittsburgh had signed their 1st rd pick in 2012?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • robrock30
I think Atlanta picks # 32 in front of Yankees and after Texas but St. Louis will go to #30 when Lohse ( another Boras client ) signs somewhere
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/25/13
  • robrock30

Atlanta get 32nd pick which becomes 31st if Mets lose #11 and could go to #30 depending on where Lohse signs

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121120&content_id=40372360&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Cubs
Latest by metsheart - 3:28 PM
You are what your record is
Latest by AdrianMonk - 3:27 PM
Secret Service Threatened Mr. Met's Life
Latest by elguapo111 - 3:25 PM
Baseball Name Game
Latest by jereviens - 3:11 PM
Congratuations to the Mets
Latest by abbymart - 3:06 PM
Remember when we were 0-3 and everybody overreacted?
Latest by flushing21 - 3:04 PM
Home Field Disadvantage
Latest by AdrianMonk - 3:02 PM
Crediting EY Jr.
Latest by giantsmets - 2:54 PM
This just keeps getting better. lol
Latest by major40 - 2:53 PM
JSAngel: Trout a Fraud
Latest by hammr1952 - 2:49 PM