• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Francessa with Alderson
  • 12/5/12
  • Oldfan

I like how you always answer a question with a question, so I'll do the same to you.

Did I say anywhere that the Mets should overpay for Victorino, Pagan or Ludwick?

How have you determined these 3 guys are overpaid when highly paid GMs have set their 2013 value in the free agent market?

Do you think the Red Sox and Giants (recently successful teams) just throw darts at a board to determine how much to pay their players?

Do you think its a great possibility the Mets can make significant improvement if they continue to acquire only the lesser free agents?

Edited 12/5/12   by  Oldfan
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • robrock30

Starting in 2014 teams get an extra 25 million per year from the MLB national TV deal. Thats not 25 mil per year, but an EXTRA 25 mil ontop of what they were already getting.

This is the resource the other teams are tapping into and spending on FAs.

http://www.examiner.com/article/mlb-new-national-tv-deals-worth-52-million-per-year-for-each-team

Edited 12/5/12   by  robrock30
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • fargol

I was responding to what I interpreted as a "knock" on SA for being hesitant to overpay for mediocre players just for the sake of putting new names on the roster.

If I misinterpreted that, I apologize.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • metsheart
"Do you think its a great possibility the Mets can make significant improvement if they continue to acquire only the lesser free agents?"

Yes. Would be enough improvement to be at least in WC hunt for most of season if Mets just get AVERAGE OF vs below average in 2012 (especially LF). And get AVERAGE BP vs 2nd worst BP in MLB.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • robrock30

Sandy in the interview as usual was playing the fool and treating us the fans and media as fools.

They have deferred $23 million with the Bay & Wright deals off of the 2013 payroll, while their share of the national TV deal revenue is increasing by $ 25 million per year.

Why are the Mets not spending on quality FAs like the other teams are doing? They are not being honest.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • Oldfan

No, more after listening to his interview and him talking about how surprised he was at how much teams are spending this year. He thought it was due to extra money coming in from a new TV deal that begins next season. It just sounded to me like they came in unprepared, while other teams were ready to spend to fill their needs.

He then went on to say other teams weren't interested in trading because they were filling their needs without having to give up players (used the Red Sox as an example). This after he's been talking all off season about improving the Mets thru trades.

Yes, Victorino, Pagan, etc were overpaid, but it appears the league is determining they'd rather spend extra money on FAs than lose prospects. At some point, the Mets will need to climb on-board. Maybe, based on where the Mets are today, it's not the right time, but sometime soon they'll need to adjust their stategy and make better determinations of the market.

I was cautiously optimistic when they extended Wright, so I guess I just expected a lot more this week.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • Mort2112
What quality free agents?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • Oldfan

I wasn't aware of the new TV deal until the interviews with Jeff and Alderson..

I'm guessing they have no intention of spending the extra TV money this year, maybe some of it next year.

As for the Bay & Wright deferral money , along with Pelrey's, etc, I have no idea. I guess they still have time

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • robrock30
Please read the link that I posted. As of the beginning of October, this was predicted due to a doubling of the national TV revenue.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • PrayedforBay

I think thats the fairest critique on Sandy so far, but then again we still have plenty of offseason left.

But, what on the Cespedes thing, he had no money to actully pick up that guy in the first place. To say that he should have taken the money for a closer and a settup guy and spent it on just an outfielder would have been unjustifiable.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • robrock30

The Mets approach to the winter meetings makes no sense since each team's revenue stream has increased by $ 25 million per year due to the National TV revenue stream. This revenue is being split evenly among the 30 teams, & it was predicted that the salaries for FAs would increase dramatically.

The value of each team has also now increased due to this additional revenue.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • gomets66

The Mets approach to the winter meetings makes no sense since each team's revenue stream has increased by $ 25 million per year due to the National TV revenue stream>>>

that doesnt start till 2014 season.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • robrock30
Tell that to the other teams. They can probably borrow against the increased $25 million per year revenue stream so that they can spend now. If the Mets "brain trust" could not foresee this, they are totally clueless.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • DFAB

"What Mike should be asking him is why is he so smart since the decisions that he has made has produced 4th place finishes every year he has been here."

You do realize that it is the OWNERSHIP that is the problem and not so much SA right?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

I keep reading that Pagan was overpaid... Yet he's superior to every FA OF not named Hamilton, and maybe Bourn.

10 million per for the production he gives you is a steal in today's market.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • gomets66

You do realize that it is the OWNERSHIP that is the problem and not so much SA right?>>>>

with this FO i would have hoped for more than 1 really good move in 2 years. 2 off seasons and 2 awful bullpens while other teams turnover half their bullpen and dont miss a beat.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/5/12
  • JoseJose

"maybe he gets other GMs in a room and tells them that's not how we did it in the 80s. "

Awesome! Post of the month.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • TheFriNgE
We say that every year. Some of the FA eligble players will have "career years" so then the FA class improves at this time next year.
  • Reply to this Message