New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• D'arnaud has bust written all over him
  • 2/4/13
  • Gepett0

see

there was this whole piece that you ignored :

"then they made three timely trades after that core was in place for pagan, melky, and pence and boom - second world series championship in 3 years"

so yes, you can add to that a (not huge) FA acquisition in blanco and a deadline move in scut which was AFTER the bulk of the team had been built through the farm

and zito was signed originally as a big FA acquisition when bonds left and was a disaster for the first few years, forcing them to rebuild...so again, you really do prove the counter of what you are trying to prove...thanks again...

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • Gepett0

also, what top prospects did the giants move to get ANY of those players?

the last time they traded a top prospect for major league talent is was for beltran and they got burned...

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • jgrangers2
So your argument that the Tigers core is built up from big-time acquisitions gets blown out of the water and you're resorting to pointing out that the Giants had a few role players that they got from outside the organization? Gregor Blanco? You think that's a big acquisition? Barry Zito? You really think the Giants like that contract? In reality, three of these were relatively minor acquisitions used to do exactly what I've been explaining, fortifying an already very good team.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • jgrangers2
It's becoming clearer and clearer that this guy just doesn't have the patience to actually wait for prospects to develop. He's desperately looking for an example of what he's trying to prove and can't find one. He obviously had no idea how the Tigers acquired Jackson or Scherzer.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • FromTheRedSeats

And the Mets have a core. Every team has a core in case you haven't noticed. Were not waiting for anything, were waiting for this organization to improve this comical outfield and they can't build that from within. When you have starting pitching depth in your minor league system you go acquire someone outside that can make this team good (And that is what the Giants did with Pense and Pagan).

The infield looks pretty good to go a long with the pitching of Niese, Harvey, and Wheeler.

Edited 2/4/13   by  FromTheRedSeats
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • Gepett0

actually we are waiting on wheeler and tda, neither of whom have played a single moment in mlb

and you dont just say "we have our core, lets trade away everyone else"....thats idiotic...you need your minor league system to continue to produce talent and you ALSO sign FA's and make trades....but really, in terms of the way that GM's build teams, that would start AFTER this season

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • FromTheRedSeats

"So your argument that the Tigers core is built up from big-time acquisitions gets blown out of the water"

That argument is fairly accurate. Most of their core was not relying on "can't miss prospects"

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • FromTheRedSeats

"It's becoming clearer and clearer that this guy just doesn't have the patience to actually wait for prospects to develop."

Did you pull that out of statement out of your <ass? I don't pay attention to prospects. Plus, the guys that the Mets are building on are pretty much ready.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • FromTheRedSeats

Again, you don't need to "wait." Did the Nationals wait on Harper? No, they went out and got Gio to strengthen their rotation.

If someone offered you a good young outfielder for Famila, Flores, and Fulmer you are telling me you wouldn't do it?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • fargol

"If someone offered you a good young outfielder for Famila, Flores, and Fulmer you are telling me you wouldn't do it?"

Why would a team offer us that for a prospect you don't think will amount to anything?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • FromTheRedSeats

A. Those are two prospects

B. Why does it matter what I think? Maybe they like these players?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • jgrangers2
And most of the major players they acquired from outside the organization have been acquired in the last year and a half AFTER they were already competitive in an attempt to fortify the team. A major part of it was benefiting from having the opportunity to acquire one of the best hitters in the game at the age of 24. Having two top ten prospects on that rare occasion is a huge break.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/4/13
  • Gepett0

depends on the outfielder

i probably would have made that deal for upton....but id never even consider it for say kubel

MAYBE dexter fowler

the problem is most of the teams that have young good of want guys like wheeler back...and i wouldnt do that

• Reply to this Message
Message 548045.145 was deleted
  • 2/4/13
  • sanman2001
Give the guy at least one at bat in a Met uniform..lol
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • saztastic2012
Thats funny because you have idiotic troll written all over you.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • saztastic2012
He is a big wig with the toilet bowl hemroids.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • 86kid

And yet in spite of the "negatives" ( as you see them ) - just about every scout and GM in baseball considers him a Top 10 prospect in the game, and some who is a lot more likely to be a very good-star player.

Look, there are no assurances with any prospects and TDA might very well end up going bust when it's all said & done. But saying he's got bust written all over him at this point is reactionary and absurd in my view. I'm sure one can find things about any prospects that are not perfect.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • mookiewilson1
Don't you know he's supposed to hit 40 homers and hit .400 before even going to spring training.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/5/13
  • bbjmparis

And IF, Wheeler TdA and Snydergaard are all stars (doubtful) we are still just a .500 team. We knew Reyes, Beltran, Pagan and Dickey were all-stars, or in the case of Pagan, just good. We know Torres stinks, Wouldn't you rather have Pagan? So IF...big if....Wheeler is great, he replaces Dickey. If TdA is great...maybe he can provide some of the offense Reyes did, and maybe if Snydergaard is a top of the rotation guy, he'll be more valuable than a 35 year old Beltran was...but that's a lot of maybes. Do you know how unlikely it is that Wheeler, TdA and Snydergaard will ALL be stars? Especially Snydergaard who's only in A ball. So, even if they are..we are only marginally better. If they are not ALL stars, we are worse. A lot worse.

Now I realize it's not allowed to even suggest any of these guys could be busts. Know why? Because if they are, the future is too horrible to even think about. Still, only a little while ago guys like Reese Havens, Pedro Beato, Fernando Martinez, Mejia, Familia, Lasting Milledge, Scott Kazmir, Pelfrey,and many others were going to be stars...now it's Harvey, TdA, Wheeler, Snydergaard, Nimmo, danDenker, and others who are going to be stars. One, maybe two, if we're lucky will be, but most will flop. None of these deals were made for Baseball reasons. They were made because we have dumb, broke, owners who want to hang on to the club, even though they can't afford to try to win.

Now it is legit to argue that given the Wilpons, we have no choice but to go the KC Mets route. Sure, that's right, but it is certainly nothing to be happy or excited about. What we should do, and what me have to do because of the Wilpons, are two different things. Abe Lincoln said, and the Wilpons know, "That you can fool some of the people all of the time." The Wilpons arre hoping that there are enough fooled folks willing to pay major league prices to watch an AAA team lose, to keep them solvent. The Wilpons have nothing but contempt for the fans, and couldn't show it more clearly if they flashed it in lights on the scoreboard.

We deserve better. Don't you think?

Giving up all-stars for prospects is a losing tactic. Just ask Pittsburgh or KC that have been trying for decades.

• Reply to this Message