• Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • emurph
How 'bout the Reading 'Is Fundamentals?'
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • bcjello

RAJ on Ruf:
<<“Yeah, baby, I love it,” Amaro said of the reports on Ruf. “I hope that he’s challenging for a job in left field next year for the Fightins. Jorge likes him and says he can play left field. We’ll get others to see him. We’re not giving him anything, but he’s certainly in the conversation.”>>

Hard to believe he'll have to go into 2013 not even sure if he'll make the AA team.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • dude93

It's just gonna cause all kinds of confusion.

BA did a piece on the name change today. Not sure if the article is free or not so here goes.

****Reading Messes With Success By Changing Name

Posted Nov. 6, 2012 10:09 am by Josh Leventhal

The Reading Phillies have little reason to change.

After all, this is the franchise that topped the Eastern League in average attendance last season for the sixth time in the past seven years. This is one of the best-run operations in the business, which has transformed a 61-year-old stadium into one of the premier venues in the minors through a series of renovations—including a $10 million facelift before last season. And this team, beloved in its community, puts on one of the best shows in the minors with a cast of characters that includes the Crazy Hot Dog Vendor and the Mascot Band.

Yet, ready or not, change is coming to Reading. For the team announced over the weekend that, after 46 years as the Phillies, it is changing its name as part of a major rebranding effort.

"We've come to realize we want our fans to be able to have their own brand," Reading general manager Scott Hunsicker told the Reading Eagle. “We want to be able to celebrate our association with the Philadelphia Phillies, yet at the same time give our fans their own name so that they can wave their flag even more proudly as fans of the Reading franchise."

The team will unveil the new name, logo and uniforms on Nov. 17. They’re partnering with the sports marketing firm Brandiose (formerly Plan B Branding), which they have worked with on previous projects including new logos and jersey prior to the 2008 season. Brandiose is a creative outfit that was behind the name and logos for the Lehigh Valley IronPigs and Richmond Flying Squirrels—a pair of the more unique monikers in the competitive minor league landscape, but also two of the more successful franchises in the sport. Klein indicated that Reading’s new name won’t be quite as outlandish as those two, but rather will play off of Reading’s history and tradition.

“There was only one team name that made the most sense we had these conversations (with Reading’s front office) and I think that after the unveiling, fans will see that it is not a departure or a 180-degree turn (from the current name),” Klein said in an interview Monday afternoon. “We’re sort of doubling down on their relationship with the Phillies and everything that they are known for . . .

“This was not a traditional process where internally we are pitching ideas. It was a how do we go deeper into our story and is there a name that allows us to do that. And if there wasn’t, I don’t think the process would have gone much further. It wasn’t where we were going to change the name and what’s the best name. It was is there a name worthy of changing the name?”

And Klein says there is indeed such a name. And it will be married next season with a new uniform design that he would only describe as cutting edge.

“People will be wowed,” he said. “We are doing something with uniforms that has never been done before. They are going to have a uniform design that is classic and is unlike anything has been done before in minor league baseball.”
Klein has experience in this area. It was Brandiose that turned the changed the Casper Rockies to the Casper Ghosts and dressed the team in glow-in-the-dark hats. They also designed the Spokane Indians’ secondary logo, which is written in the local Indian tribe’s native language of Salish.

However, the group’s previous hits don’t mean the Reading community is united the idea of change. Fans have developed quite an attachment to the R-Phils after 46 years. A Facebook group called “Save the Reading Phillies” has over 2,000 members and an online petition asking the club to reconsider the name change had over 700 supporters.

Few name unveilings or changes in the sport are immediately embraced by the community. There were similar responses in Lehigh Valley and Reading. Storm Chasers wasn’t an immediate hit in Omaha, neither was TinCaps in Fort Wayne. But each has become one of the top selling merchandise brands in the minors. However, none of those had Reading’s history, success and a fanbase that takes enormous pride in its sports teams. So, Hunsicker (who was named Eastern League executive of the year) and Klein may have a tougher time selling the new name.

"People are going to be excited when they hear the name and see the new iconic looks," Hunsicker told the Reading Eage.****

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • bcjello

I'm at work, so I just have a second. I'll read the article at my next break.

I just thought RAJ's comments were amazingly demonstrative of one of the main reasons why you don't name the Pirates' AA team the "Bucco's", or the Atlanta AAA team the "Bravos", or the Angels' AAA team the "Halos"........etc. etc.

Very bad idea on multiple fronts.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • rupert010
Did you boycott when Clearwater changed their name? How long did that take to blow over? I don't think I like the name they've chosen but like everything that gets peoples' panties in a bunch, this too shall pass.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 11/7/12
  • rupert010
Then again I don't think most people remember Clearwater going from Phillies to Threshers. After all it was almost ten years ago.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • Radarscout
Clearwater has NOTHING to do with it. We have had 46 years as the Reading Phillies. You don't mess with tradition.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • miguelmama

I really don't get why Reading is re-packaging itself. I watch a lot of minor league baseball, and for my buck, there's no better place to watch a ballgame than Reading.

The ballpark is terrific. The people who work there are very nice and the fans are knowledgeable. They do a great business.

So why change it? Do they want to sell more jerseys and caps?

I do wish they would switch from Pepsi to Coke but aside from that, all is well in Reading during baseball season.

My best experience there was meeting a woman who played ball for one of the teams during World War II. Apparently she's a regular at the games and owns a farm up there in Berks County.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • redneckeagle
I hate change. They always say change is for the good, but that just aint true. They shouldnt mess with sumthun that aint broken.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • miguelmama

I agree with not changing what ain't broke.

The Reading Phillies name and logo ain't broke so leave them alone!

Edited 11/8/12   by  miguelmama
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • Radarscout
I couldn't have said it any better myself! Its an absolute joke!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • mikejack20
youre a scout, youre not supposed to care about this stuff.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • Radarscout
How can you not care about a team that you grew up with? A team that has been there since you were born? Its a piece of everyone from Readings childhood.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • mikejack20

figured guys getting paid to be a scout should put their personal feelings aside. how can you be fair if you have all this anger?

on a serious side though, i get the tradition, id rather them keep it as it was, but 8 months from now, everything will be back to normal, fans will still pack the place and everyone will still love going to games just as they do now.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • dude93
Scouts have to be impartial. Didn't they teach you that at scout school?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • litesout54
Just be happy you have that awesome rotation and possibly Franco to SCOUT there this coming year.
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
So ....who wants this team to fail /win
Latest by hesstruck1 - 7:29 PM
Replay..can't nobody here play this game?
Latest by Rockhound6165 - 7:29 PM
Non phillies gameday discussions
Latest by Metalman26 - 7:26 PM
OT: Eagles Season thread
Latest by wildthng88 - 7:26 PM
Darin Ruf
Latest by channeling - 7:16 PM
2014 Fun Stats:
Latest by jskro - 6:46 PM
4/23/14 Phillies VS Dodgers OFFICIAL GAME THREAD
Latest by 1diehard - 6:39 PM
OT: New Official Flyers Thread