• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• DePodesta likes Flores' potential at second base
  • 2/12/13
  • Gepett0

thats not what he was saying

he hates david wright so his point was that david wright is terrible and never should have been resigned and we should have just traded him and let flores start at 3b

he's part of that "david wright is garbage and is the whole reason this team is bad" crowd of mentally challenged posters

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Gepett0
also, i am not at all confident that we would get equal value for flores....too many of the prospect gurus dropped him off their top 100 lists and now refuse to look stupid by hailing him as a solid prospect....so they drop him down their rankings of the mets system to like the 8th best prospect, making him look unimpressive...he has far more value in real life than he does in the trade world and we are not getting back an eaton type for a package built around flores...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Well, where is he among 3B prospects? From what I recall reading he is among the best.

So if a team needs a 3B and they have an OF prospect they can part with, that may be a deal in waiting.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • JamesHetfi3ld
You might be right, but it will hurt his defensive stats... Whether or not that matters in the overall scheme of things is another debate, but at this point is his development I don't really see the point in moving him over.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Gepett0

hes number 10 on some lists...mostly on lists compiled by people that havent completely written him off....if you go by other prospect gurus (like law) hes not even in the conversation

not nearly as respected as he should be after putting up those numbers

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Gepett0
and the point of moving him over is that his offensive potential is FAR better than murphy's and there is nothing to indicate that his d in the long run will be any worse (less range, makes up for that w/ a huge reach, better instincts, better reaction, and better glove) than murphy's...so in the long run, he has more value at that position than murphy does...and if he can handle 2b, he will be a better player than what we get back in an of'er for him....that is a pretty good reason to move him imo
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • KidCarter8
Move Ike to RFand play him at first and just let him settle in and concentrate on his hitting.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • stearnsy12
how could Flores not being able to play second but be able to play third hurt his trade value?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • stearnsy12
i think the point is if he's a good player and we move him to second base he might be a good player for us
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • brianinwi

Edgardo Alfonzo got moved around a bit, too. Came up as a shortstop, moved to 2b and then to third. He did OK. Most of the scouting reports on Flores that I've seen say that he's good with the glove, but everyone expects him to get "too big" (whatever that means) to play shortstop.

Is the transition from shortstop to second base more difficult than the transition from shortstop to third?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • KidCarter8
Just find him a position already and leave him there for a year. I wish they would stop shuffling him around, if his bat is that good then I would move Davis to rightfield, where he played in college, or trade him for an outfielder. Flores is big enough to play first, can't play second evidently, and on this team can't play shortstop or third, so you either have to trade him or make room for him..he has been in the minors a few years and this team doesn't have anyone with a higher upside in front of him to keep him off the team this year. Let him come up this year and hit .260 and learn the league a bit. He has always hit, no matter where they have put him. He is also a better stick then Turner or Baxter.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • Kranesback
Or dump whiff boy.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/12/13
  • 86kid

>>>"Be nice if this thing was resolved in the next year and one or the other was traded. I'm so sick and tired of having situations like this."<<<

Yeah, they need to make a decision one way or he other with him. Plus I'm afraid all the indecision about his position could be a distraction for him with his bat at some point.

Put him at 2nd and let him learn, or OF, or trade him for an OF prospect if equal ceiling. I mean, there's got to be a couple of teams out there with a good OF prospect, who could use an infielder instead.

I love Murphy, but if Flores is no worse defensively at 2nd than Murphy, I'd opt for Flores because I think he's got a bigger ceiling offensively, and also, he'll be millions cheaper at this stage. Not that Murphy makes that much, but if you can save 3 million or so, then why not.

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/13/13
  • stearnsy12
well here's the problem with Flores this year: you shouldn't make him jump from AA to the ML level yet,especially if he's going to be learning a new position. There's no future for him at third or first with us and if he's going to learn 2b he may as well do it in Vegas in the happy hitting grounds out there...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/13/13
  • Gepett0
kid might hit 30 in vegas
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/13/13
  • brianinwi
That would sure up his trade value, even if he doesn't take over second from Murph.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/13/13
  • KidCarter8
I would use Murphy as trade bait, he has a lot more value than Flores does to other teams.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/13/13
  • lllfxlll
trade him
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/13/13
  • Gepett0

TDA was on pace to do just that last year....he had 16 in just 67 games

and wilmer's power is pretty comparable to TDA's truthfully

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/13/13
  • KLake409
Valdespin's best position is 2B too + Murph and Turner, we are going to lead the league in 2B.
  • Reply to this Message