• Welcome Guest
San Francisco Giants

Welcome to the San Francisco Giants.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• MLB's list of top 100
  • 3/4/12
this list really isnt for anything. probably just best 100 overall for all things considered, past performance, last years performance, best to build a team around, how they should do this year blah blah blah. i dont think its supposed to be a serious list, just MLB network giving its fans some fun filler to pass the time until spring training starts
  • Reply to this Message
Message 140254.14 was deleted
  • 3/4/12
He is, and about where he belongs because of his down year in 2010 imo.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/4/12

Pablo's at 44 I think. He's on there.

But yeah, I agree that Nate isn't worthy of being on that list...

yet?

By the way, if you weren't the one bumping up the "sick kid" thread I apologize. There's about 5 new handles on this board each day and I saw the all-caps and thought it was you. If it wasn't...my bad.

Whoever it was, it was beyond inappropriate.

• Reply to this Message
Messages 140254.17 through 140254.18 were deleted
  • 3/4/12

The hint there CenCoast was my reference to the trolls buzzing like bees.

They seem to all been driven bat scat crazy by anything remotely positive about Nate,
let alone him being on a top 100 list.

And look it worked!

But you should have known better IMO.

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/4/12

Haha.

Yeah I guess I bit that hook, line and sinker.

And I'm far from a Nate hater for what it's worth. I think he's poised to have a great year.

• Reply to this Message
Message 140254.21 was deleted
  • To:All
  • 3/7/12

Bum is a bit lower than I think he should be. As is Tim, but let them fly low on a stupid poll and impress later.

Definitely do not see Kemp as #1 in all of baseball. I'm not really sure who I would pick, Verlander comes close enough. I could make the case for Pujols, just not sure. Too subjective.

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/7/12
Kemp at no.1 .......... tells you all you need to know about this "list".
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 3/7/12

Up and down the list the rank placements are questionable. My main issue is with this.

17. Jacoby Ellsbury – CF – Boston Red Sox
16. Adrian Beltre – 3B – Texas Rangers
15. Joey Votto – 1B – Cincinnati Reds
14. Adrian Gonzalez – 1B – Boston Red Sox
13. Jered Weaver – SP - Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
12. Dustin Pedroia – 2B – Boston Red Sox

I personally would put both Cliff Lee and Lincecum over anybody in that rank. Maybe A-Gone would be the exception. Pedroia and Ellsbury are great players but often a product of the East Coast Media over selling them.

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/7/12
Here's how I see it. Dustin Pedroia is an awesome ball player. But I don't think there is more than one GM in all of baseball who would trade a year of Matt Cain (#46) for a year of Dustin Pedroia (#12). Therefor that list is a failure.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/7/12
Napoli is better than McCann?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/7/12

Avila better than,

54. Carlos Gonzalez – OF – Colorado Rockies
53. David Ortiz – DH – Boston Red Sox
52. Derek Jeter – SS – New York Yankees
51. Lance Berkman – 1B – St. Louis Cardinals
50. Jon Lester – SP – Boston Red Sox
49. Ian Kennedy – SP – Arizona Diamondbacks
48. Miguel Montero – C – Arizona Diamondbacks
47. Brian McCann – C – Atlanta Braves
46. Matt Cain – SP – San Francisco Giants
45. James Shields – SP – Tampa Bay Rays
44. Pablo Sandoval – 3B – San Francisco Giants
43. Matt Holliday – LF – St. Louis Cardinals
42. Andrew McCutchen – CF – Pittsburgh Pirates
41. Giancarlo “Mike” Stanton – RF – Miami Marlins
40. Brandon Phillips – 2B – Cincinnati Reds

??????????????

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/7/12

Yea, I agree, I mentioned Timmy and Lee because they were placed right behind that list. Up and down that list, it's subjected to criticism. I don't know if they are basing their ranks from last season, two seasons, or how back they are taking performance into consideration.

20. Felix Hernandez – SP – Seattle Mariners
19. Tim Lincecum – SP – San Francisco Giants
18. Cliff Lee – SP – Philadelphia Phillies

17. Jacoby Ellsbury – CF – Boston Red Sox
16. Adrian Beltre – 3B – Texas Rangers
15. Joey Votto – 1B – Cincinnati Reds
14. Adrian Gonzalez – 1B – Boston Red Sox
13. Jered Weaver – SP - Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
12. Dustin Pedroia – 2B – Boston Red Sox

Edited 3/7/12   by  Curia1981
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/7/12

Take a look at what Jared Weaver has done over the past few years:

<http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/weaveje02.shtml

He's crazy good. Not better than Lincecum, but crazy good. Of course, he may be benefiting from diminished competition, like Lincecum and Kershaw abusing NL West lineups. But still, he's gotta be up there.

Basically, if you look at that list, it's kind of a rank of who had the best years last year. Lincecum is coming off a "down" year by his standards. Nothing to get too worked up over. I'd wager just about every GM in baseball would take Lincecum over Weaver right now, all things being equal on money and such.

-chef

• Reply to this Message
Message 140254.30 was deleted
  • 3/7/12

I don't have an issue with Weaver being in the list and so much having that rank. Personally, I think his rank over Lee and Lincecum is a little generous. He is great pitcher who will rack up strong stats through out the season. In par I think he is a slightly better version than CJ Wilson. This rank thing is for amusement purpose. I know it doesn't mean much, yet it's fun breaking it down and analyzing it.

Me and my cousin in Brooklyn often break down pitchers. A while back we were talking about the Yankees and Giants rotation. In general we discussed Lincecum and Cain > CC and Pineda (He disagreed). CC is a stud but there is no intimidation factor to him. He will give you innings and in general he is a great pitcher. Pineda is a work in progress and it's yet to be determined. Putting all stats aside, Lincecum has an intimidating presence in the mound. The intimidating pitchers in the majors is good thread for conversation,lol. It's not so much about stats but intimidation. That's my point of view from where I personally placed Timmy and Lee over Weaver (not taking anything away from him).

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/8/12
Ah, I'll converse. Agree, actually. Sabathia is "solid", but he's got a year or two best before he totally tanks. I don't think he's got his command. He's not marquee as far as pitching. And he didn't do much for his team in the postseason.
  • Reply to this Message