• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Alderson: 2013 Roster Will Be Similar To End of 2012
  • 12/11/12
  • pt1028

>>>How about we keep Dickey and trade Murphy, Tejada, Duda. Torres, Francisco, and Thole, none of whom are very good, or are deeply flawed players?<<<

We can't trade the above mentioned because none of them are very good, or are deeply flawed players.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • bbjmparis

Trading Dickey for anything less than a proven major league star is a huge mistake.

I agree that Murphy, Tejada, Torres, Duda, Francisco, and Thole are not very good. However I think the six of them aught to get us back a DECENT catcher and outfielder. Note, I said decent, not stars.

Murphy has some trade value to an AL team as a DH. Some teams might be fooled by Tejada's decent BA. Believe it or not, Francisco has some value too. He's pitched well in the past, and relief pitchers coming off awful years quite often follow it up with good ones. Duda and Thole don't make much, so someone might be willing to roll the dice with them and give us something...a good backup infielder maybe. We aught to be able to get back two average players for the lot of them.

We once traded Tom Seaver for prospects. Can you even name them without looking them up? Trading Dickey for prospects is not the way to go. It leads to years of 72-90 baseball.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • beltrain15

The only position players worth keeping on this roster are Wright, Davis, Tejada, Murphy and Valdespin (as a backup). I don't see value in any other player even as a backup. We might be able to sell Duda as a first baseman to some other team and get a decent outfielder, but otherwise he's worthless. I'm not even slightly joking when I say that Matt Harvey is a better hitter than Thole, and the rest of the outfield isn't much better.

How about we bring back Hairston, a guy who actually hit 20 bombs and had an OPS over .800? I don't understand what the problem with giving him two years is since he'll probably sign for a reasonable price and is actually willing to play for us. Especially considering the fact that there's so much money coming off the books next year, next year's FA class is no better, and the Mets have no good outfield prospects coming up.

Or we could just let AAA Mike Baxter start. He'll continue to hit at a mediocre rate like he did at the end of last year and then devolve into an absolute black hole in the lineup by the time June rolls around and he's fatigued. Then they'll say "oh Mike wasn't too bad early in the year, maybe if we start him again in 2014 he'll hit like that for the whole year cause we don't want to overpay for an actual good player"

Rinse and repeat.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Duda, Torres, Fransisco and Thole are completely useless.

Can't trade Murphy, Tejada is a very competent SS (who should only improve). Familia will probably end up being traded, or they'll try him out at second and try to ship Murph. Wheeler has immense talent... Not too fair to think he's going to be a bust- He has better stuff then Harvey that's for sure.

So just like last year: No OF (it's hard to have ZERO major league outfielders), no catcher, no BP.

Yep. Looks like another losing season to me.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Yeah I bet you said that when the Rockies signed Mike Hampton. Know who the Mets got as compensation for that?

It's already a 72 win team. There's no point to keeping him here so he can rot away.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • bbyjean616

"Murphy has some trade value to an AL team as a DH. Some teams might be fooled by Tejada's decent BA. Believe it or not, Francisco has some value too. He's pitched well in the past, and relief pitchers coming off awful years quite often follow it up with good ones. Duda and Thole don't make much, so someone might be willing to roll the dice with them and give us something...a good backup infielder maybe. We aught to be able to get back two average players for the lot of them.

We once traded Tom Seaver for prospects. Can you even name them without looking them up? Trading Dickey for prospects is not the way to go. It leads to years of 72-90 baseball. "

Murphy has no value as a DH. He has limited power. He has value to us if we had some more power around him. FF has zero value but we can go on here. Years of 72-90 seasons huh? Like our last four?
We are years from competing. We need to get max value for Dickey. If our only choices are trade him or let him play out 2013 and let him walk ala Reyes..... what do you do? You get as much back for him as you can. Tom Severs trade was 35 years ago. lets move on

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • saztastic2012

Well if he brought in two new OFs and a C to replace the now and soon to be departed Bay, Torres and Shoppach the roster would still be very similar however different, And I think and hope that is what he means.

Even keeping 20 of the 25 players that ended the 2012 season would be considered similar.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • beltrain15
If the Mets wanted to rebuild, they had to trade Wright. Trying to rebuild while paying Wright big money for 8 years is a good way to guarantee that this team won't compete for a long time. I would have been fine with rebuilding, but they made it public that they were planning to actually improve the team and try to compete now. The Wright move is starting to look more and more like a PR move, and if the Mets don't have a better 25 man roster after this offseason, I personally won't be following at all this season. I can deal with losing, but no one can possibly rationalize investing any time or emotion into an organization that has blindfolded us, lied to us, and shown no desire to deliver an entertaining product to fans.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Paying him LESS this year then what he was supposed to make fits into that theory quite well.

They may try and pull a Loria.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • cjct

this is an interesting scenerio...Wright is locked up you can play out the season if we stink (which we probably will) and Wright is having a decent year we can trade him.

If Crawford can get moved....then a healthy Wright playing 3B can get moved.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

At that point it would be a salary dump (much like what the Sox did). The Mets would get back nothing of value in return.

Of course I don't put anything past this ownership.

• Reply to this Message
Message 546148.23 was deleted
  • 12/11/12
  • Gepett0

except that wright has a full no trade clause

but never let actual facts get in the way of a good ignorant conspiracy theory, right?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • AdrianMonk

Okay. Sounds good.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • AdrianMonk

We're good enough, we're smart enough, and doggonit.. people like us.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • bbyjean616

If the Mets wanted to rebuild, they had to trade Wright. Trying to rebuild while paying Wright big money for 8 years is a good way to guarantee that this team won't compete for a long time. I would have been fine with rebuilding, but they made it public that they were planning to actually improve the team and try to compete now. The Wright move is starting to look more and more like a PR move, and if the Mets don't have a better 25 man roster after this offseason, I personally won't be following at all this season. I can deal with losing, but no one can possibly rationalize investing any time or emotion into an organization that has blindfolded us, lied to us, and shown no desire to deliver an entertaining product to fans."

Youre not getting a single argument from me with what you said. I believe resigning Wright was nothing BUT a PR move and Im still doubting he will be here after 2013.... ala Reyes. I believe Dickey will be here too.... unsigned for the ASG. I said I wouldnt follow the last two years for the lack of direction and wound up getting <suckered in again. I wanna see Dickey traded simply to hold on to SOME... ANY SHRED of hope that one day we'll be good again. The more time that passes, the more moves other teams make while we stand pat, the more this looks like a commisioner doing everything he can to help his buddy keep his team no matter what the cost

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • skorpio520

"this is an interesting scenerio...Wright is locked up you can play out the season if we stink (which we probably will) and Wright is having a decent year we can trade him."

he got a full trade clause in his contract.then again,if they dont do anything after promising they would.they might just irritate him off enough to wave it

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • skorpio520
it would take a whole lot of guts and audacity to come into 2013 with the same team as 2012 after the spin they were putting out there with regarding signing wright,future moves,upgarding the outfeild/catcher,etc...
only possibilty they banked everything on dealing dickey and got snowed without having a real plan b. now they either make a significant move or moves,or look really bad.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • elsid1986

"Interesting, considering what he said just months ago"

Did anyone actually believe him when he said that? With Wrights new deal and Bay's deferral, payroll will again be down. I am not saying spend for the sake of spending but there were a few guys on the market that could have helped. Now, it looks as if except for 1 or 2 bullpen arms, and maybe 1 new outfielder like Ross, this team will be very similar to 2012 and Fred and Sandy will say in spring training how the team is better than people think it is.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • New_York_Mets_Fan
If that is the case then there will be other similarities i.e. (Citi field will be and remain empty) as it should, if they don't improve the team why should mets fans care and support them. Ownership needs to either spend and put a competitive/play off caliber team or SELL and let others do it as this has gone on long enough.
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
What does 14 mil+11mil +7 1/2mil =?
Latest by gatorupset - 11:44 PM
Good road trip
Latest by nym3120 - 11:44 PM
satisfied Mets fan
Latest by nym3120 - 11:33 PM
We have a big-time Closer problem going forward (IMO)...
Latest by almandareo357 - 11:31 PM
Mets 10 Game Home Stand Predictions
Latest by nym3120 - 11:29 PM
Beer
Latest by thatsrightthemets - 11:27 PM
FRENCHY PUNKED BAD!
Latest by marvelousmarvin - 11:16 PM
Cubs
Latest by gatorupset - 11:13 PM
Valverde
Latest by gatorupset - 11:11 PM
Best Starting Lineup with Everyone Healthy