• Welcome Guest
Chicago Cubs

Welcome to the Chicago Cubs.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Poor Neighbors
Message 423033.11 was deleted
  • 7/12/13
  • AllanOfKaunas
"since the early 50s" ? We might have crossed paths, and we are a fading breed :(
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/13
  • boomer1945
I heard someone on the radio saying there were only about 750 registered voters in that precinct.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/13
  • SheboyganFrank

"since the early 50s" ? We might have crossed paths,"

There often weren't many people in the park then. So think hard, Allan. I was the kid buying a Frosty Malt from Irv.

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/13
  • 26cubba
Wrong it hasn't been agreed on still gonna be delayed, not till all sides agree and papers are officially signed, won't be started till season is over!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/13
  • truck19

"Any idea how many registered voters there are on Waveland between Sheffield and Clark?"

Less than 30.

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/13
  • jabloomf1230
Live or deceased?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/13
  • BigSkinnyCubfan

Hi Jabloom,

LOL!! In 1955, Paddy Bauler, 43rd Ward Alderman, stated, "Chicago ain't ready for reform!" That still holds true, today!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/13
  • truck19
Well, there IS a pretty big cemetery just north of there.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/13
  • Shamster

Don't be surprised when a few well timed lawsuits here and there immediately halt ongoing construction...

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/13
  • jabloomf1230
Graceland votes!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/13
  • jabloomf1230
Are you a party?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/13
  • 26cubba
I won't be surprised at all hopefully ricketts gets what he wants!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/13
  • ddevonb

"I lived off of Kenmore, 4 houses away from Wrigley. There are MAYBE a dozen apartments with windows facing Wrigley and very few if ANY have a view inside of Wrigley Field.

That being said, the people knew there was a ballpark there when they moved in."

And of course the view of the back of a scoreboard is so much worse than the view of an outer ballpark wall. :)

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/13
  • ddevonb

"Doesn't it make simple business sense? It's very hard to believe it wasn't a main objective even as long back as you have been going."

I think that after the renovations and hotel is up and running... and the revenue is flowing, the Cubs will be in a much better position to expand. It's better to do that with profits rather than just going deeper in debt right now.

The Trib co never really saw the full potential for expanding the Cubs as a business since they were mostly a media company. As a separate business the Ricketts focus is on the Cubs and not all those other things that Trib Co was into.

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/13
  • ddevonb

"It's not going to be delayed. Concessions were made on the video board and the signage. The committee approved it and the Cubs are going to start moving on the project likely this offseason."

It still has to be approved by city council but I think that will go through soon as well. I would expect that the new players facilities get done by spring and the outfield jumbotron, etc will be a high priority because of instant revenue return from them.

• Reply to this Message
Message 423033.27 was deleted
  • 7/12/13
  • ddevonb

"These people owe their enormous property values in the neighborhood to Wrigley Field. And unless some of these mamby pamby obstructionists are over the age of 100, then the ballpark PRECEDED every single one of them."

If you look at old photos from the 40's and 50's most of those buildings are not even there. Most of the old buildings have been torn down an replaced over the years. One in left field was built in 1996.
Permanent seating didn't exist on any of the buildings before the late 80's. Most was constructed in the 90's or since.

Rooftop seating doesn't have a long history.

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/13
  • Fatcub
Appears to me that Ricketts is holding all four aces in this contest. Rather surprised that he is being so conciliatory at a time when he should be on the offensive. Maybe he's allowing them to spout off and dictate terms, so people can get a real whiff of the stink before he actually pulls the plug.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/13
  • 26cubba
Wonder if the mayor will step up, but then only when he gets what he wants out of all the deals that will get made........
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Aramis Ramirez - .872 OPS
Latest by dman022 - 3:05 AM
If only Theo's illusion was real
Latest by Squawky - 2:45 AM
CJ Edwards
Latest by Czarcastic - 2:13 AM
The Worst Team I Have Ever Seen!
Latest by demz - 2:09 AM
Black Sox lose LOL!
Latest by sunnydoo - 2:08 AM